Wizard Weapon Attack Bonuses

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am I reading the latest Playtest packet correctly or am I missing something? I am seeing no weapon attack bonuses for Wizards...was this an omission or was this intended?
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
So far as I can tell this is intended. I'm sure there will be a subclass in the future to make Gandalf though ;)
So far as I can tell this is intended. I'm sure there will be a subclass in the future to make Gandalf though ;)

Cool, I like the concept of a Swordmage(Battlemage). A Wizard who is comfortable with a sword but packs heat in the form of some magic missiles or a fireball. So lets get these Wizard's some attack bonuses!

The Cleric Weapon Attack progression would work fine.
Just talk it over with your DM and see if you can use the Cleric's table. Though TBH I think that the Cleric is more of a Melee class when it needs to be while the Wizards are supposed to be the Glass Tiger of the group with their spells.

Just talk it over with your DM and see if you can use the Cleric's table. Though TBH I think that the Cleric is more of a Melee class when it needs to be while the Wizards are supposed to be the Glass Tiger of the group with their spells.

I'm not aiming to enhance the Wizard as so much as I am trying to find a way using the current ruleset to build a "Swordmage" I am thinking of simply writing a new Tradition of Wizardry called "Swordmage" and it goes something like this.

Swordmage
While many wizards spent time in learning their skills from wizarding schools or from private tutors, you were afforded only basic knowledge that quickly blossomed in the battlefields of your homeland or some far away conflict.

Cantrips: You may select two evocation cantrips fo your choice.

War Wizard: You are able to prepare one less spell each day, but you are profiecient with one-handed martial weapons, additionally every five levels you recieve a +1 weapon attacxk bonus when using these types of weapons.

Anyway, something like that.

I took your system and adjusted it. I'm sure your DM would let something like this slide. You would never get a L9 spell slot, but I'm sure that it wouldn't matter.

Swordmage

Cantrips: You may choose two evocation cantrips of your choice.

War  Wizard: You are able to prepare one less spell in each level range each day, but at your first wizard level and then every 5th level, you will get a +1 to your weapon attack bonus while using a weapon you are proficient with so long as you are unencumbered. On top of that, every level you will get +2 total hit points for every level of Wizard you take.

Battle Tactician: While wielding a weapon weighing 5 lb. or less, you may use your Intelligence modifier instead of Strength to determine your attack and damage bonus.

Weapon Proficiencies: Bastard sword, Long sword, Scimitar, and Short Sword.

Armor and Shield Proficiencies: Light or Medium Armor, but no shields.

I took your system and adjusted it. I'm sure your DM would let something like this slide. You would never get a L9 spell slot, but I'm sure that it wouldn't matter.

Swordmage

Cantrips: You may choose two evocation cantrips of your choice.

War  Wizard: You are able to prepare one less spell in each level range each day, but at your first wizard level and then every 5th level, you will get a +1 to your weapon attack bonus while using a weapon you are proficient with so long as you are unencumbered. On top of that, every level you will get +2 total hit points for every level of Wizard you take.

Battle Tactician: While wielding a weapon weighing 5 lb. or less, you may use your Intelligence modifier instead of Strength to determine your attack and damage bonus.

Weapon Proficiencies: Bastard sword, Long sword, Scimitar, and Short Sword.

Armor and Shield Proficiencies: Light or Medium Armor, but no shields.

Cool, much better
The solution we came up with in another thread is to let you trade out your cantrips for cleric-grade weapon attack bonus and Martial Damage.
The metagame is not the game.
The solution we came up with in another thread is to let you trade out your cantrips for cleric-grade weapon attack bonus and Martial Damage.

Also rather inventive. I think I am going to enjoy the flexibility of D&D Next, reminds of of 2nd edition in some ways, I hope it doesn't become too bloated or cater to power gamers. Time for we RPer's to have our own edition.
Hoorah!