Epic Experiment + Past in Flames interaction

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I was playing my sub-par u/r storm deck in Modern the other day and I ran across an issue I had a question about, so I thought I'd ask here.

Say I have played Epic Experiment for a fairly high number (say..10) and in the epic's spells, I hit a Past in Flames.  If I play the Past in Flames for free first from the Epic Experiment, does that mean that I can play the rest of my Instants and Sorceries *and* flash them back for free, since Past in Flames makes their flashback cost their mana cost? Or do the Instants and Sorceries I play from Epic not hit the graveyard until after Epic resolves so they aren't there to flashback?
You aren't able to pay Flashback costs at all with Epic Experiment.

Here's the order in which events occur:
1) Epic Experiment begins resolving.
2) You cast your ten spells, including Past in Flames.
3) Epic Experiment finishes resolving and is put into your graveyard.
4) The ten spells you cast resolve. They'll most likely end up in the graveyard, and whatever was there when Past in Flames resolved has flashback.
5) Now, you can cast any of the spells again by paying the Flashback cost. This is just the normal effect of Past in Flames; it has little to do with Epic Experiment.

Note that if you use flashback to cast Epic Experiment for , X will be 0.

You aren't able to pay Flashback costs at all with Epic Experiment .

Ok, thank you for the clarification. I thought you might be able to if you had Past in Flames in play :-)
to clarify further
Epic Experiment doesn't change the mana cost of the spells, it gives you an alternative cost to cast them (that cost being )
that's also the reason why you can't overload spells cast with EE, Overload is another alternative cost, and you can only choose 1 alternative cost when casting spells
proud member of the 2011 community team
Say I have played Epic Experiment for a fairly high number (say..10) and in the epic's spells, I hit a Past in Flames.  If I play the Past in Flames for free first from the Epic Experiment, does that mean that I can play the rest of my Instants and Sorceries *and* flash them back for free, since Past in Flames makes their flashback cost their mana cost? Or do the Instants and Sorceries I play from Epic not hit the graveyard until after Epic resolves so they aren't there to flashback?

you can cast Past in Flames first so that all the other spells revealed by Epic Experiment will resolve before it and be in the graveyard when Past in Flames resolves and you will be able to flash them back (including Epic Experiment) for their regular mana costs (not for free)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Note that if you use flashback to cast Epic Experiment for , X will be 0.

Everything that gives cards flashback makes the flashback cost the same as the card's mana cost. The flashback cost for Epic Experiment will be :Xm: and X can be chosen and paid for.

EDIT: X wasn't showing up even though it was in the mc tags.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

As I understand it, Past in Flames grants Epic Experiment Flashback :Xm: at the time it resolves.

Edit: At this point, X would be zero, but the game doesn't need to calculate X. Therefore, it's possible to reuse Epic Experiment.

I looked up some cards that have X in the flashback cost, and it looks like this works.
yes, it grants , not
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments