Healing Surges per day

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I am playing a Vampire class which has two Healing Surges per day. If I use my Blood Drinker encounter power to gain a Healing Surge and I am already at two Healing Surges, do I now have a total of three Healing Surges or am I always capped at two no matter how many I gain?

The Vampire Noble paragon path gives the Vampiric Action ability which needs you to have more Healing Surges than the normal amount to trigger, so it requires me to have used Blood Drinker to gain a Healing Surge to put me at a total of three before I can make use of this ability.

So I am guessing that I can add additional gained Healing Surges on top of my daily allotment. Would I keep the additional Healing Surges up until I used them or until after an extended rest when my Healing Surges per day would then be reset back to two?

IIRC (but you may want an extra opinion), any extra surge will go at the end of any rest (short rest included).
However, if you have more surge than you're allowed during that rest, you lose any extra surge and you regain all of your lost hit points.
You will have 2 Healing surges after each extended rest, or 3 after you gain Enduring Reserves at level 13.
  You can gain additional healing surges beyond this maximum through your various vampiric powers, especially Blood Drinker.  You can keep these additional surges for the duration of the encounter.  During any rest (short or extended), you lose any extra surges you have beyond your normal maximum of 2 or 3, but heal up to maximum HP instead of a normal healing surge value - this is described in the class feature Blood Is Life.  If you don't have surplus surges, then you can use a surge to gain back your healing surge value, or an ally can give up a surge to let you heal HP equal to your bloodied value.  This is also in Blood Is Life.
  If you've spent other surges, and then use Blood Drinker during an encounter to get back to 2, then you just keep those two (unless you spend them); they don't go away just because of how they were earned.

Thanks for the info, all I have access to is the Character Builder app and it only gives truncated summaries of the abilities.
+1 to RisingZan's explanation.

There are additional ways (feats) to gain additional healing surges.

Durable should give you an additional 2 surges.

Another route, which is feat intensive, allows additional surges to be gained.

A Multiclass feat AND an additional feat of Arcane/Divine/Martial/Primal/Psionic Vampire.  Then Power-Swap feat to gain an encounter power from your multiclass.  (or use a Theme attack power that has the appropriate keyword).
Alternatively, multiclass INTO Vampire and take the feat for a slightly less feat intensive effect.

The two that I think are most useful are Divine Vampire and Martial Vampire.
Divine Vampire stops the Radiant damage from Child of the Night Class feature.  It gives a Healing Surge when you hit with a divine Encounter attack power. There's another rider, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Martial Vampire gives you a healing surge when you are bloodied that you must use during this encounter, or lose it. (Think of it as a Temporary Healing Surge).  It also gives a Healing Surge when you hit with a Martial Encounter attack power.

If you Hybrid Divine and Martial, and take the requisite feats, you can gain 3 extra surges per encounter, thereby giving you a heal or two during battle and always have an extra to get back to full at the end of the short rest (or to give to an Artificer to charge new Healing Infusions). 
I have several builds in my head with these types of synergy, including a Revenant (Warforged) Rogue/Paladin Hybrid that walks around in Plate, but has great stealth skill.  I don't know what CharOp would rate it, probably mediocre to poor, but I like the flavor of a Warforged Infiltrator.
+1 to RisingZan's explanation.

There are additional ways (feats) to gain additional healing surges.

Durable should give you an additional 2 surges.

Another route, which is feat intensive, allows additional surges to be gained.

A Multiclass feat AND an additional feat of Arcane/Divine/Martial/Primal/Psionic Vampire.  Then Power-Swap feat to gain an encounter power from your multiclass.  (or use a Theme attack power that has the appropriate keyword).
Alternatively, multiclass INTO Vampire and take the feat for a slightly less feat intensive effect.

The two that I think are most useful are Divine Vampire and Martial Vampire.
Divine Vampire stops the Radiant damage from Child of the Night Class feature.  It gives a Healing Surge when you hit with a divine Encounter attack power. There's another rider, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Martial Vampire gives you a healing surge when you are bloodied that you must use during this encounter, or lose it. (Think of it as a Temporary Healing Surge).  It also gives a Healing Surge when you hit with a Martial Encounter attack power.

If you Hybrid Divine and Martial, and take the requisite feats, you can gain 3 extra surges per encounter, thereby giving you a heal or two during battle and always have an extra to get back to full at the end of the short rest (or to give to an Artificer to charge new Healing Infusions). 
I have several builds in my head with these types of synergy, including a Revenant (Warforged) Rogue/Paladin Hybrid that walks around in Plate, but has great stealth skill.  I don't know what CharOp would rate it, probably mediocre to poor, but I like the flavor of a Warforged Infiltrator.

if your willing to be a Mul you can get something like 7 or 8 with 2-3 feats, although I dont know if its worth it
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
A Mul Hybrid Fighter|Warden MC Vampire can end up with:
2 Base
+1 Racial
+1 Mul Stamina
+2 Durable
+2 Primal Vampire
+2 Dwarven Durability

For a total of 10 base surges, and with Martial Vampire and Blood Drinker, you can gain an additional 3 per encounter AND gain one as soon as you are bloodied (though it must be used before the end of the encounter).

Of course it's a ridiculous use of resources, but it's something.