How does one use a Special Weapon?

In the 12/17/12 packet some weapons have been re-classified as "special" like bolas and whip.  There is some statement about the category that indicates you usually have to have some specialty or feat to use them.  However, I can find no such feats.

I've been playing a swashbuckling fighter who primarily uses spiked chain and whip for flavor, but now I've just gone back to rapier.

I don't actually see the reason that weapons that require special rules should all require some extra feat to use.  It just means nobody will use them.  The fact that I can't find any other mention of this problem in the forums may indicate that not too many people have even tried.  Is it really harder to use a whip than a spiked chain?

No one knows, at this point. Just ask your DM, and if you're the DM, just decide what you want to do.

Part of the joys of playtesting, I guess.
In the 12/17/12 packet some weapons have been re-classified as "special" like bolas and whip.  There is some statement about the category that indicates you usually have to have some specialty or feat to use them.  However, I can find no such feats.

I've been playing a swashbuckling fighter who primarily uses spiked chain and whip for flavor, but now I've just gone back to rapier.

I don't actually see the reason that weapons that require special rules should all require some extra feat to use.  It just means nobody will use them.  The fact that I can't find any other mention of this problem in the forums may indicate that not too many people have even tried.  Is it really harder to use a whip than a spiked chain?

Then don't make assumptions Make a house rules and share it, thats what the playtest is about remember "Rulings not rules".

Personally I find Special Weapons can be used by any character with a sufficient Dexterity score (Dexterity 14), players attempting to use these weapons without high enough dexterity are at a disadvantage when making attacks.
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
At present, afaik, the only way to use a special weapon is to play a Stormcaller cleric ("You gain proficiency in a weapon of your choice".)

They "require special training usually gained through a feat or specialty."

I suspect that is an oversight (i.e. they left out the feat for them).

As a house rule, I would assume that - as in earlier editions and as implied by the D&DN equipment file - the characters need to spend a feat to gain access to them.

Carl
But seriously, why is the spiked chain a martial weapon and the whip a special weapon? They have the same properties, but the whip does half the damage.

I suggest a specialty or Fighter combat style for the exotic weapon master.
But seriously, why is the spiked chain a martial weapon and the whip a special weapon? They have the same properties, but the whip does half the damage.

The whip is probably supposed to be 1 handed.

The whip is probably supposed to be 1 handed.

That would be worth it, then. Imagine a swashbuckler type with a whip in one hand and a rapier in the other.