A Hairless Thoctar thread, some white cards

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I realized I've never done a white card thread.
So then I made a white card thread.

Gift of Life

Enchantment
Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life, then if you have more life than each opponent, draw a card.   

-I rather liked Survival Cache and feel that the idea of white being able to draw cards off of having more life than people is an interesting design space to explore. As you may or may not know, I've been championing the idea of each color getting card draw based on something they like to do, and white certainly likes to gain life.

Teller of Tales
Ancient Storyteller 

Creature-Kor Shaman
Rare
At the beginning of your end step, you may put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control without a +1/+1 counter on it. If you do, gain 1 life and draw a card.
Each life yields a story, and he knows a great deal many stories.
2/2

-Like Gift of Life, this card plays off a strategy of white's to draw cards. In this case,

Recurring Dream

Enchantment
Rare
Whenever you would draw a card, you may return an enchantment from your graveyard to your hand instead.  

-This wasn't really meant to be a white card card advantage thread, but it's kind of turning into one without me really meaning it to. In this case white being the enchantment color would allow it to recur enchantments easier than other colors.

Knight of Dragon's Bane

creature-Human Knight
Common
Flying,  protection from dragons
2/2

-picture him riding a griffin or a big eagle or something if you would be so kind.
-Basically, I realized we had yet to have a knight with protection from dragons. This is a travesty I can not allow.

Armed Victory

Sorcery
Rare
Destroy all creatures that aren't equipped or enchanted. 

-White likes equipment, white likes enchantments, white likes board wipes. Chocolate, meet peanut butter.

Traveling Preacher
Creature-Kor Cleric Knight

Rare
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, you may put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
2/2

-I rather like Ageless Entity so I wanted to try something similar but different in white, this is what I came up with.

Lord of the Savannah

Creature-Cat
Plainswalk
2/2

-Mark Rosewater has said on several occasions that the reason there's so little plainswalk is that it doesn't make much flavor sense. I think the lions in Africa would be inclinded to disagree.
Anyone who played enough dampen thought in kamigawa limited would know that teller of tales  is already a card.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Fiddlesticks
Ancient Storyteller doesn't really encourage you to play small dudes. Just dudes.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Ancient Storyteller doesn't really encourage you to play small dudes. Just dudes.

True, but you'll get more dudes off a bunch of cheap critters or tokens.
I'm liking these. Armed Victory was especially nice.
Recrring dream also looks like a card I'd really enjoy.

I do think Ancient Storyteller's too good though. With something like Mentor of the Meek you have to work for your card draw. Storyteller can always just put a counter on himself for no cost to ensure the cantrip + lifegain. This guy goes beyond encouraging you to do things you should do and pretty much just gives you free cards almost by accident. I love the idea of a :W: card that puts counters on the little guys who don't already have them but this is, well maybe not broken, but it's probably format-defining on the vere of serious-complaint-worthy.
Also the way it's worded could you have two storytellers both put a counter on a creature at the same time, or would it check to see that the creature has a counter between the abilitie resolving? I'm not really sure but it could make a huge difference to their effectiveness in multiples.
Also the flavour is awesome. Tell somebody a story and they get a counter from the story teller and you draw a card because well, stories = knowledge=cards.