The Shelf of Infinite Books: All Editions D&D PDF Available at DrivethruRPG.com

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Announced today in the most recent Legends & Lore column, PDFs are back!

Today is a great day for D&D!

The Shelf of Infinite Books

Back at Gen Con last year, we announced that we were once again going to make certain titles of classic D&D material available for purchase as PDF files. I'm happy to announce that our friends over at DrivethruRPG.com are offering the first of many waves of classic content.

Initially, you'll see classics such as the B-series of modules, the entirety of the first mega-campaign, spanning the G, D, and Q series of adventures, Greyhawk sourcebooks, and more showing up on DrivethruRPG's virtual shelves. Personally, I'm running a D&D Next playtest of Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain every Friday afternoon at the office from a PDF loaded on to my iPad.

When we began the D&D Next process, we were committed to looking at D&D beyond the rules for the tabletop game. We realize that some people like running classic adventures or playing earlier editions. We hope D&D Next meets your needs, but if you want to stick with the D&D you already know and love, then DrivethruRPG.com's ever-expanding library will have everything that you'll need.

I like that is it back. I like that they are adding product history information. For example take a look at B4 The Lost City (or at dndclassics.com).

Unfortunately they aren't releasing all the old material yet. I kinda want to buy something to support the initiative but nothing really peeks my interests.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

I'll be picking up a copy of the Adventurer's Vault to support the release of the 4E library in digital form. Indeed, while I'll not be buying into Next, if WotC were to release the rest of the 4E library in PDF format I'd pretty much re-buy my entire 4E library in digital form.
Apparently, we broke DriveThruRPG. Been trying to load the second page of products for the last 15-20 minutes, finally got a "server overloaded" message.

:D

Looking for old Birthright, Dark Sun and Red Steel.
My one question is are people who brought pdf's of earlier editions of DnD before wizards pulled them goingh to be able to redownload  them or am I going to have to pay again for stuff lost through taking drive rpg policy of 5 downloads at face value when my hard drive failed?

and to be honest are wizards making a guarantee that such a thing won't happen again? 
Plague, I think your thread title is somewhat misleading.  'Certain titles of classic D&D' != "All Editions".
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
My one question is are people who brought pdf's of earlier editions of DnD before wizards pulled them goingh to be able to redownload  them or am I going to have to pay again for stuff lost through taking drive rpg policy of 5 downloads at face value when my hard drive failed?

and to be honest are wizards making a guarantee that such a thing won't happen again? 

OK now I've managed to get onto drivethrurpg I'veanswered my own question as I managed to download b2, without paying again.

I take back what i said and all kudos to Wizards for that. so my plans to reimage  some old adventures for 4th next i.e. x11 can go ahead with having to use bittorrent..bonus!!

Plague, I think your thread title is somewhat misleading.  'Certain titles of classic D&D' != "All Editions".

All editions are represented, and this is the "first of many waves."

I think we have reason to be excited. Not much in this wave I want, but looking forward to the next ones.

When i checked it this morning, there was PDF of every editions. So unless they pulled out all their 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions PDFs in between, no the thread title is not misleading. Wink
Hopefully access will be restored soon.

FYI DriveThruRPG 10 minutes ago tweeted:

DriveThruRPG@DriveThruRPG Our techno-goblins are indeed slaving
away  in the server mines to get a handle on the traffic. - Matt
have they tried whipping them?  historical documents indicate that - when it comes to goblins - where there's a whip, there's a way.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

GeekDad just wrote an interesting article on the launch of dndclassics.com;  

New Digital Archive Resurrects Classic Dungeons & Dragons Adventures
=V they really need to update the page design, looks like something made in early 2000...
This is indeed an excellent move! I just snagged my first couple of titles (OK, OK, so one of them was the free B1 as a PDF - give me time!), and was able to get updated versions of stuff I bought way back through "My Library" - this has been properly thought through!

One question if any WotC folks are reading - will there be 4e PDFs with the errata incorporated? I'm guessing you must have complete files of them already, so I'm hopeful... If they do come, I'll buy the lot!
======= Balesir
DnDClassics.com is broken now. Try RPGNow.com instead to access the modules.

So, what was done great?
- Old modules. Quality of the new scans is superb!!!
- Prices for the old stuff. Searching torrents is not an option for me at all with these prices.
- Free modules. There are some PDFs for free, such as B1 In Search of Unknown. Great move!

What was done poorly?
- Old 4E modules. Erratas are not incorporated in 4E modules. It is a great disapointment for me. H1 Keep on the Shadowfell is obsolete, especially monster statistics. Why Paizo manages to update their PDFs with errata, and WotC not???

Overall status: I am very happy for this move! Thank you, Wizards of the Coast.

Gah... I will be spending sooo much money buying some of the older stuff and picking up 3.5/4E books I didn't bother picking up in harcover...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

have they tried whipping them?  historical documents indicate that - when it comes to goblins - where there's a whip, there's a way.

On a more serious note, WotC has found a way to receive a few more of my dollars. I have no interest in playing Next (at this time), but there is a great deal of 4e and older stuff I want in electronic format.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
This is what happens when your internet connection is down.  Something MAJOR (IMHO) like this ocurs, and you have no idea.

I am truly ecstatic for this change.  Wizards' original decision to pull the digital copies cut their sales to me in half (I would purchase BOTH a digital and physical copy of the materials).

It will be really nice to have "clean" copies of the items.  
Well that's just great-
I only recently got on Drive thru RPG and was planing on getting 20$ worth of random Spycraft 2.0 and Shadowrun 4 pdfs this weekend.
Probably spend at lest 60$ now. 
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I'm so happy that pdfs are back.  I have a pretty extensive collection of D&D hardcovers, boxed sets, whatnot, but there's still a butt-load of stuff I've never seen.  

My collection has overwhelmed the storage space of our home however (years and years of buying a book or two each month will do that ;)).  My wife finally had enough.  We compromised that I could keep the books I already have but that I wouldn't buy any more.  Or else everything goes into outside storage.

I much prefer print over digital format but faced with no space vs. virtual space, I'll happily take the latter ;). I'm happy pdfs are back.
/\ Art
I don't dare hope, but perhaps they'll put sets of Dungeon Tiles up? I own all but the very first set, but I'd pay full price for digital sets so that I could use them in the online campaign I play and no longer have to rely on blurry scans.
Very excited about this move...long over due. However - with regards to 4E - I will not buy any pdfs that don't include errata - I mean seriously. Come on WOTC. Get on the ball here.
I'm so happy that pdfs are back.  I have a pretty extensive collection of D&D hardcovers, boxed sets, whatnot, but there's still a butt-load of stuff I've never seen.  

My collection has overwhelmed the storage space of our home however (years and years of buying a book or two each month will do that ;)).  My wife finally had enough.  We compromised that I could keep the books I already have but that I wouldn't buy any more.  Or else everything goes into outside storage.

I much prefer print over digital format but faced with no space vs. virtual space, I'll happily take the latter ;). I'm happy pdfs are back.

My experience exactly. My limited shelf space is sagging with too many books (which I love) and I made a decision last month not to buy any new books. I'm going digital from here on out and WotC selling PDF's again has made this a viable option. Thanks WotC!

Very excited about this move...long over due. However - with regards to 4E - I will not buy any pdfs that don't include errata - I mean seriously. Come on WOTC. Get on the ball here.

I highly doubt they'll go through the effort of reformatting the books to include the latest errata.

You can, however, add Comments to the PDF files to incorporate the errata.   

I highly doubt they'll go through the effort of reformatting the books to include the latest errata.

You can, however, add Comments to the PDF files to incorporate the errata.   

It's also not hard to edit the file directly with some cheap software, although it can get less and less worth the effort.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
I just started playing in the summer of 2011. I missed all this great content. I'm very excited it's available now. I've already purchased/'downloaded eight or nine titles. I'm excited about transforming some of these into 4e adventures and trying out first edition.
If the PDFs respect a good paper-to-PDF price ratio, Wizard will receive some more of my money once in a while. I gave away all my 3.0 and 3.5 collection to a local charity a long while ago, and I do miss some of these books.

Also, it'll help appease the burn left by the online-only 4e tools.
Bring on the Dark Sun pdfs!

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Bring on the Dark Sun pdfs!

Bring on ALL the PDFs.  Physical media has been obsolete for half a decade.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
A little late for Lenny. About 4-5 years too late.
Are the PDFs OCRed so that you can copy the content, or are thy just JPGs brought together as PDF?
How is the quality? Bad scans? 
So far those i got were good quality thumbnailed copyable PDF. Every single copies are also watermark registered with your name and purchase number.
Holy crap WotC made a smart business decision!

But seriously, this is pretty exciting.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
id like to see obscure stuff get released, like the later 'r' modules and other old tournament stuff
From WoTC_Greg's Twitter;

@gregbilsland 
New #dnd PDFs are now available over at http://dndclassics.com , including Monster Manual II, Dungeon Survival Guide, D&D Expert Set, and more.
Nope...they are not avaible...at least not the 4e ones...like always...
Normal, these aren't 4E books but BECMI and AD&D.
Normal, these aren't 4E books but BECMI and AD&D.

Then why do you expose it on the 4e version of this thread? if it doesn't have anything to do with 4th edition? It's like if you go to a Xbox360 forum and mention that they are reselling Atari 2600 games...
Because there's no other version of this thread, so its only logical to post updates in the original thread. This thread is about digital books sales for 4E as well as other editions.

Sign In to post comments