2 drops or 3 drops that is the question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So last night I was drafting online (after a failed INN-DKA draft but I opened Olivia Voldaron so couldn't complain as it more than covered the cost of the whole draft).  I first picked a voidwielder but it quickly became clear that Rakdos was the way to go and I like splashing blue in Rakdos.  The only problem was that there were no 3 drop creatures in any pack (obviously someone else was taking them) or where there were, they were up against something else I couldn't ignore.  This got me thinking.  In an aggro deck like Rakdos, would you rather have 8 2-drop creatures and no 3-drop creatures or vice versa (I know the best answer is that you would have a mix but assume that wasn't possible).

For anyone interested I went 2-1 and lost to the eventual winner's populate deck.  The decklist was

Land (17)
Blood Crypt
Rakdos Guildgate
2xIzzet Guildgate
3 Islands
6 Swamps
4 Mountains

Creatures (15)
Rakdos Cackler
2x
Thrill-Kill Assassin
Rakdos Shred-Freak  
2xGore-House Chainwalker
Nivix Guildmage
Rix Maadi Guildmage
Ogre Jailbreaker
Perilous Shadow = this was a mistake and I sided it out everytime usually for Electrickery 
2xVoidwielder
Spawn of Rix Maadi
Isperia's Skywatch
Tenement Crasher

Spells (7)
Pursuit of Flight
Augur-Spree
Izzet Keyrune
Stab Wound

Launch Party 
Inspiration

For anyone interested I went 2-1 and lost to the eventual winner's populate deck.  The decklist was
Land (17)
Creatures (15)
Spells (7)

I count only 39 cards.

Regarding the 2-drop vs. 3d-rop battle, i believe it depends on your opponent.
If he's aggro, you want to race him and the 8 2-drops will do wonders.
If he's tempo, the race is not that important and having solid 3 drops like Hellhole Flailer,Dead Reveler,Splatter Thug is far more important than having 4 Rakdos Shred-Freak in hand that won't do much facing an Armory Guard, Hussar Patrol or Axebane Guardian.

Seeing how RTR is "in General" a slow set, I would personally go for the 8 3-drops.  
Dead Reveler and Splatter Thug are key Rakdos cards. I can see players winning without them, but against a populate deck that three power is pretty key. So I wouldn't say I care much about two/three drops, but I do care about specific ones. Lobber Crew is also a key card that's swell with Rix.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.