Rogue (Shield Dancer) - The Dex Defender

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey everyone, working on making a Dex Based defender.  This is going to be a bit of a work in progress but lets get this going.

For starters the Shield Dancer is a type of rogue, much like the berserker is a type of barbarian.  So the real name for the class would be Rogue (Shield Dancer).

Shield Dancer Class

Class Traits
Role: Defender.  Your ability to weave through combats using alternately flashy and hidden techniques makes you a difficult barrier to pass.
Power Source: Martial
Key Abilities: Dexterity, Charisma
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, light shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, Hand Crossbow, Short sword, Sling, Spiked Shield
Bonus to Defenses: +1 Will, +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex

Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 9 + Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: Stealth, Acrobatics.  From the class skills list below, choose 4 additional skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Insight (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Streetwise (Cha), Thievery (Dex).
Class Features: Feint and Flourish, Defender Aura, Charismatic Defender, Fencing Mastery, Sneak Attack, Weapon Finesse

Rogue (Shield Dancer) Class Features

Level 1:
Feint and Flourish

Whenever you complete your first attack per turn you can choose to either Feint of Flourish

Feinting:

• Your Shield Dance ends, if it was active, you may not activate it again until you are no longer Feinting.

• You may use the Sneak Attack class feature.

• While Feinting and not in heavy armor, you gain a +2 bonus to Reflex and Fortitude defenses.

Flourishing:

• If your Shield Dance was not active and you are wearing a light shield you activate Shield Dance.

• You cannot use your Sneak Attack Class Feature.

• While Flourishing and not in heavy armor, you gain a +2 bonus to AC and Will defenses.

Shield Dance
At-Will - Aura
No Action - Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you use the Feint Class Feature or until you fall unconscious.  While in the aura, any enemy takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls when it makes an attack that does not include among its targets either you or an ally of your who has this aura or Defender Aura active.  Marked enemies are not subject to this aura.
Special: This ability can only be activated by using the Flourish Class Feature.
Level 14: The aura increases to aura 2.
Level 24: The aura increases to aura 3.

Charismatic Defender

• You gain a bonus to damage with Opportunity Attacks equal to your Charisma Modifier

• Whenever a rogue class power or utility would use your Strength modifier you instead substitute your Charisma Modifier.

Fencing Mastery
You gain the Fencing Mastery Power.
Fencing Mastery – Rogue Attack Power
While their attention is diverted you dart through a hole in your enemy's defenses.
At-Will – Martial
Opportunity Action - Personal
Trigger: An enemy subject to your Shield Dance either shifts or makes an attack that targets an ally of yours without targeting you or an ally who has either Shield Dance an active Defender Aura.
Effect: You make a melee basic attack against the triggering enemy. And deal extra damage to it equal to your Charisma Modifier.
Level 11: Charisma Modifier + 2 extra damage. If the triggering enemy isn't adjacent to you, you may shift 1 square to a square adjacent to that enemy before making the attack.
Level 21: Charisma Modifier + 4. If the triggering enemy isn't adjacent to you, you may shift up to two squares to a square adjacent to that enemy before making the attack.

Sneak Attack
During your turn, when you make an attack with a light blade, a hand crossbow, a shortbow, or a sling and hit an enemy granting combat advantage to you, that enemy takes extra damage based on your level (see the Sneak Attack table). You can deal this extra damage only once per turn.

Sneak Attack
Level 1-10 – 2d6
Level 11-20 – 3d6
Level 21-30 – 5d6

Weapon Finesse
When you make a melee basic attack, you can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack roll and the damage roll. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with light blades, hand crossbows, shortbows and slings.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Heroic Powers

The Shield Dancer is able to select from the entire list of rogue powers.  Rogues would also be allowed to select any of these powers should they choose to do so.

At-Wills (1/4)
Show

Winds of Change – Rogue Attack 1
You become a blur of motion drawing your enemies into your defenses.
At-Will – Martial, Weapon
Standard Action – Close Burst 3
Target: One or two creatures in burst.
Attack: Dexterity vs Reflex
Hit: Dex modifier damage and you slide each target 1 square.  If an enemy ends this movement adjacent to you, you may apply your Sneak Attack damage to that target even if you are Flourishing.

Encounter 1 (2)

Daily 1 (1/2)
Show

Nip the Ankles – Rogue Attack 1
Fluff
Daily – Martial, Weapon
Standard Action – Melee Weapon
Target: One creature granting combat advantage to you.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Miss: Half Damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter whenever you hit a target that is granting combat advantage to you they are slowed until the end of your next turn.

Utility 2 (2)

Encounter 3 (1/2)
Show

Fast Dance – Rogue Attack 3
Fluff
Encounter – Martial, Weapon
Move Action – Melee 1
Effect:You shift your speed.  During that shift, when you enter a square adjacent to an enemy you may make the following attack against that creature.  Whenever you use this power, you can make the attack against a creature only once.
Target: One Creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: Dexterity modifer damage and you slide the target 1 square.

Daily 5 (2/2)
Show

Unbalancing Lunge – Rogue Attack 5
Fluff
Daily – Martial, Weapon
Standard Action – Melee 2
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage and the target takes a penalty to attack rolls against your allies equal to your Charisma modifier (Save Ends).
Miss: Half Damage and the target takes a penalty to attack rolls against your allies equal to your Charisma modifier until the end of your next turn.

Blinding Flourish - Rogue Attack 5
The sun glints of your blade as you dramatically swipe at your foe causing those around you to fall back in confusion.
Daily - Martial, Weapon
Standard Action - Melee Weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs AC
Hit: 2[W] + dex mod damage and the target is blinded until the end of your next turn.
Effect: All enemies in your aura are weakened until the end of your next turn.

Utility 6 (1/2)
Show

Go with the Flow - Rogue Utility 6
Fluff
Encounter - Martial
Free Action - Personal
Trigger: You are subjected to an effect that pushes, pulls or slides you.
Effect: You shift a number of squares equal to the number of squares you would have been pushed pulled or slid. (You are not pushed, pulled or slid)

Encounter 7 (1/2)
Show

Whirlwind of Sand – Rogue Attack 7
Fluff
Encounter – Martial, Weapon
Standard Action – Close Burst 3
Target: Each enemy you can see in Burst
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: You pull the target up to 2 squares.  If any creature ends this movement adjacent to you and make the following attack:

Close Burst 1
Target: Each Creature in burst.
Attack: Dex vs Reflex (Off-hand weapon)
Hit: 1[W] damage (Off-hand weapon).

Daily 9 (1/2)
Show

Field of Blades – Rogue Attack 9
Fluff
Daily – Martial, Weapon
Standard Action – Close burst 1
Target: Each enemy you can see in Burst
Hit: 1[W]+Dexterity modifier damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter the size of your Shield Dance aura increases by 1 and you can shift 1 square as a free action before making an attack granted by your Fencing Mastery power.

Utility 10 (2)

Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Reserved for Paragon Powers
Show
Reserved for Epic Powers
Show
Heroic
Unnamed Feat 1
Prerequisite - Rogue, Shield Dance Class Feature
Whenever a creature leaves your Shield Dance aura it takes damage equal to your Dexterity modifier and a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.  A creature can only take this damage once per turn.

Unnamed Feat 3
Prerequisite - Rogue, Feint and Flourish Class Feature
When you spend an action point you may choose to begin either Feinting or Flourishing as a free action.  This does not count towards your 1/turn limit of Feinting or Flourising.
Paragon

Epic
Unnamed Feat 2
Prerequisite - Rogue, 21st level, Feint and Flourish Class Feature
Whenever you resolve an attack you may choose to begin Feinting or Flourishing.  You are no longer restricted to changing on the first attack.
Show
Reserved for Changelog
1/23/13
Shield Dance still not working as intended.  Likely changing it to use wording "As if they were marked" so the character can benefit from normal defender marking.  Will fix after 1/28/13.

Added the Caveat "During your turn" to the Sneak Attack class feature.
Changed the mark violation from doing an extra 1d6 to dealing Cha mod extra damage.  Adjusted Scaling to match the new mark violation.
Added in a Feat for leaving the aura at heroic.
Added in a "Slaying Action" type feat for heroic.
Added in a Feat for changing states at epic.
Added in the requirement to use a light shield in the Flourishing Class Feature.
Changed Charismatic Defender to be a bonus to damage rather than a bonus to AC against Opp Attacks.  Does it need to be written in both places?  Should it only be under Charismatic Defender?  Or should there be a special line below the effect that talks about Charismatic Defender?
Removed the word "may" from the second entry in the Charismatic Defender Class Feature.

1/22/13
Defender Aura not working as intended.  Proposing a switch to the following to be folded into the Flourish Class Feature.

Shield Dance
At-Will - Aura
No Action - Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you use the Feint Class Feature or until you fall unconscious.  While in the aura, any enemy takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls when it makes an attack that does not include among its targets either you or an ally of your who has this aura active.  Marked enemies are not subject to this aura.
Special: This ability can only be activated by using the Flourish Class Feature.

Added Winds of Change and Whirlwind of Sand.

Changed Whirlwind of Sand into a 2-hit power.  Currently targets Fort/Ref.  Curious if I should change it both to Reflex for simplicity.

Added Nip the Ankles and Field of Blades.

Added Unblancing Lunge.
Added Blinding Flourish.
Tinkered with Wording
Changed Field of Blades to work with Shield Dance at higher levels.
Changed Shield Dance to scale at higher levels.

Design Notes:

1. Need Utilities to help preserve movement and get out of action denial.

2. Need at least one daily with a stance

3. Need something to do with minor actions (Utilities and such)

4. Need things that give penalties to attack/defenses.

5. Need to fix Shield Dance to work properly with Defender Aura.

6. Need to make sure the class requires a shield and 1 handed weapons to operate.

7. Need to add ways to penalise at ranged and/or a ranged penalty build.

Show
One thing to note: Shield Dance really, really needs to be called, or have some text to say it counts as, a Defender Aura, otherwise it stacks with Knights and Berserkers' auras (Knights and Berserkers can punish enemies that attack you, because they're not attacking an ally with an active Defender Aura...).  And, strictly, the punishment feature doesn;t work with it when it's called shield dance.

I do like the concept though, I've been considering a dex defender for a while - I made the grounds of one in one of the design contests a while ago, the Shadowlash.  Might come back to it at some point.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
When discussing defenders, I think something you should consider is: can you make the Catch-22 so horrible for enemies that they have no good option?

The obvious answer here is yes, because Riposte Strike. I don't know the Rogue's power selection very well, but I don't think there are many other (standard action) powers you should ever be using when doing one-on-one defending. Especially the Charismatic Defender class feature makes that power insanely good. Add Vigilante Justice Style to the package, and you get a defender that can make an attack as both an immediate and an opportunity action when the enemy you hit dares to attack an adjacent ally.

This instantly launches the Shield Dancer into the top 3 defenders, at least for heroic. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't really bother coming up with any other standard action single target powers for the class, since doing anything else besides Riposting would be incredibly bad.
Oh, and remember this one? It's actually kinda interesting for a Rogue defender.
Shield Dance
At-Will - Aura
No Action - Personal
Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you use the Feint Class Feature or until you fall unconscious.  While in the aura, any enemy takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls when it makes an attack that does not include among its targets either you or an ally of your who has this aura or Defender Aura active.  Marked enemies are not subject to this aura.
Special: This ability can only be activated by using the Flourish Class Feature.

At level 14, the size of your aura increases to 2, and you can shift one square before making you opportunity attack. At level 24, the size of your aura increases to 3, and you can shift two squares before making you opportunity attack.

Blinding Flourish
The sun glints of your blade as you dramatically swipe at your foe causing those around you to fall back in confusion.
Daily 5
Standard Action
Melee Weapon
1 Creature
Dex vs AC
Hit: 2[W] + dex mod damage and the target is blinded and takes a -2 to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Effect: All enemies in your aura are weakened until the end of your next turn.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
One thing to note: Shield Dance really, really needs to be called, or have some text to say it counts as, a Defender Aura, otherwise it stacks with Knights and Berserkers' auras (Knights and Berserkers can punish enemies that attack you, because they're not attacking an ally with an active Defender Aura...).  And, strictly, the punishment feature doesn;t work with it when it's called shield dance.

I do like the concept though, I've been considering a dex defender for a while - I made the grounds of one in one of the design contests a while ago, the Shadowlash.  Might come back to it at some point.

Post a link to your old idea if you have one.  I'd like to blatantly steal good ideas use it as a resource.

I put a note in the design notes to fix Defender Aura.  For the moment there isn't a great way to do it unless you simple have with this "The Defender Aura power gains 'X wording' as part of the hypothetical article/book that would release this."

I kinda wish that Defender aura could be a subtype so they could share that element.  Like how a pally mark and a fighter mark are both just marks.

One thing that might happen is using "Are considered marked" wordings for the defender aura... That might work better... I'll think about it and see what I can do to fix that.
Show
I put a note in the design notes to fix Defender Aura.  For the moment there isn't a great way to do it unless you simple have with this "The Defender Aura power gains 'X wording' as part of the hypothetical article/book that would release this."

I kinda wish that Defender aura could be a subtype so they could share that element.  Like how a pally mark and a fighter mark are both just marks.

One thing that might happen is using "Are considered marked" wordings for the defender aura... That might work better... I'll think about it and see what I can do to fix that.

I'm not seeing the problem with using the standard defender aura. If you're Feinting, you can't activate it (says so in the description of Feinting). If you're Flourishing, you automatically activate it after making the attack. Maybe mention in the description of Flourishing that you can activate your defender aura as a free action?
Oh, and remember this one? It's actually kinda interesting for a Rogue defender.

I'll read through when I get a chance.
Show

I'm not seeing the problem with using the standard defender aura. If you're Feinting, you can't activate it (says so in the description of Feinting). If you're Flourishing, you automatically activate it after making the attack. Maybe mention in the description of Flourishing that you can activate your defender aura as a free action?

The original concept used normal defender aura.  But the way Feinting and Flourishing works is a huge pain with defender aura as you aren't required to be in one of the two states.  So there was a time where you could turn your aura on and off and get SA and the Aura without needing to worry about the other options.  Ruins Fate helped a lot with understanding why it is an issue.
Show
Writing this down so I can work on it later when I have time.

Wondering if I can do something about the aura to make it say "people in aura are considered marked unless they are already effected by Defender Aura or marked by an ally."  Rather than compete with Defender Aura for the same condition it could make its own that was slightly different.  It does make an interesting priority situation though.  If someone with that type of aura was next to an enemy and someone with a defender aura walked up, this aura would have priority.  If someone has a defender aura and this guy walked up, the defender aura would have priority.

It also opens up the ability to have their mark punishment actually punish via a mark, so the class can have abilities that mark at range and those abilities wouldnt be clunky or annoying.
Show

Well, you sort of asked for this, and I was bored, so...

I Am A Weapon...No, A Shield!

A Mini-Guide to Shield Dancer Rogues

Rather than bore you with words, I'll cut to the chase: this will be a short and quick powers guide/review of the Shield Dancer power selection and how it fares against the rogue mainstays.

At-Wills
Winds of Change - Remember how Duelist's Prowess absolutely sucked? This is a close burst 3 version that targets 2 people instead. That's...kinda better? Minor control, defender-level damage (~30 at epic level is not all that terrible) to one and dex mod to another, and you don't care about the melee keyword for IoAP, etc since you won't get static mods anyway. I'll consider that par of the course.

RZ Notes: I would have preferred a clarifying text stating that you can still only apply SA once/turn - although you can buff this to a Dark Blue power by allowing both targets to be hit with SA for a power-specific rulebreaker. This is important, as this is the one of few ways to apply SA even on flourish, and SA is incredibly modifiable for stacking additional attack penalties in exchange for ditching damage dice), making for an extremely effective way to stack penalties onto a mark.

Benchmarks to beat:
Riposte Strike - Seriously, DPS harder. I dare you. Attach Either of Nerathi Vanguard (non-str build), or Midnight Blade Student (Str-build). Then also get Mark of Warding.
Disheartening Strike - Penalty stack moar. Style feat adds a slide 1, Spiked Chain + Flail Exp gets you at-will proning.
Sly Flourish - Standard DPS power for this build, but style feat also adds Rattling.

Lv 1 Encounter
None yet.

RZ Notes: This is a hard level to build for, because Dazing Strike exists and is basically kind of an auto-pick for a defender. Could actually use a generic proning power though, those are hard to come by for a rogue.

Benchmarks to beat:
Dazing Strike - Because Dazing happens to also be awesome for defending.

Lv 1 Daily
Nip the Ankles - Yeah, I dunno. If you wanted control, you would have taken Blinding Barrage. If you wanted enough damage to try and bury the thing you're fighting instead, you take Press the Advantage. Single target, single-round control on a half-striker isn't so great, because for a nominally higher investment, you could just be inflicting dead.

Benchmarks to beat:
Press the Advantage
Blinding Barrage

Lv 2 Utility
None Yet

RZ Notes: Honestly, this is the level where I would peg a resist forced movement-type power ("Surefooted: Interrupt - reduce forced movement by 2 until start of next turn", etc)

Benchmarks to beat:
Sneak in the Attack
Tumble

Lv 3 Encounter
Fast Dance - I did a triple-take here. I love 'move and hit everything you touch powers', but this one doesn't carries no static mods. But its a Move Action - awesome. This is actually kind of like a utility power to me. Retranslate as: you shift your speed, then slide around a bunch of things to rearrange enemies around into a perfect burst formation. I like this a lot. Unfortunately, the E3 competition is fierce.

RZ Notes: Fast Dance is great! Except the competition is fierce, considering Low Slash (Slow and Slide 1 as a minor) is still amazing for a defender. Actually, the other prime pick is Startling Offensive. Vs an approaching enemy, you shift in, ping him, then immediately flourish and set up your aura in his face. I would maybe pick up Fast Dance at E7 on an O-Rogue.

Benchmarks to beat:
Low Slash - Still god. Slow and Positioning setup as a minor will still trump positioning setup as a move action when there's a damage roll involved.
Startling Offensive - works even better for this build than the O-Rogue, as a turn 0 approach-response.

Lv 5 Daily
Unbalancing Lunge - High Damage, potentially huge penalty to attack save ends that stacks with the likes of blind, etc.
Blinding Flourish - On a striker chassis, powers that strike your main target and defenderlock/control secondary targets is the real way to go! Obviously, this power isn't good if you're an O-Rogue.

RZ Notes: Again, at this point in the metagame, you weigh the value of single-target control against picking a daily that would just help you wipe a standard completely on a nova sequence.

Benchmarks to beat:
Go for the Eyes, Bloodbath, Compel the Craven, Driving Assault, Surefooted Retort, etc

Lv 6 Utility
Go with the Flow - Isn't this a Monk power? Regardless, forced movement a big enough concern for you that you should be actively looking for permanent solutions to counter this rather than a utility power patchfix.

RZ Notes: Yeah, I dunno, I'd rather go with the attack-negation of Swift Parry.

Benchmarks to beat:
Swift Parry
Timely Dodge, but that isn't good for a defender build

Lv 7 Encounter
Whirlwind of Sand - Junk for an O-Rogue, borderline gold for you because its your Come and Get It clone. As an analogue comparison, it targets a two NADs that are both higher than Will, and requires an off-hand weapon (strictly speaking, not really, just keep your best weapon in you offhand, and use your offhand weapon with the initial attack too) so its a bit weaker, but the important distinction is that you do not have to pull 2 adjacent to you, unlike the 'pull adjacent or not at all' clause on post-nerfbat CaGI, which makes it reasonably valuable.

RZ Notes: The hit line on Whirlwind is kind of wonky right now - it implies a close burst 1 attack after every hit. So you would pull A in, then close burst it. You would then pull B in, then close burst A and B. When you pull C in, you'd close burst A, B, and C, etc. Also, Rogue|Defender hybrids everywhere rejoice at their shiny new CaGI clone. I would grab this on a Rogue|Warden or Rogue|Paladin hybrid, for example.

Benchmarks to beat:
The stuff you missed out at E3.

Lv 9 Daily
Field of Blades - Defender Aura expansion and gives you a shift to make use of it. Its power analogue is the Berserker power that does the same thing, which likewise got a high rating because it greatly expands your defender ability as well as response to adverse conditions like forced movement.

RZ Notes: Then again, Knockout Blow is also a great defender power too.

Benchmarks to beat:
Knockout Blow - still impossible to dethrone.

Lv 10 Utility
None Yet.

RZ Notes: Theoretically, Acrobat's Escape and Counter Step are highly rated, but they only respond to melee 1 range triggers, so I would consider this a low point in rogue utility power selection. A lot of good stuff can fill in here.

Benchmarks to beat:
Acrobat's Escape, Counter Step

Renzhe, you are the best.

Couple of things:

1. The class feature lets Riposte be Cha Based, so no worries on needing to turn it around.

2. For E1 how would you rate Guarded Attack or Opening Move?  I think they are both black, but I'm interested in your take.

3. I'm going to be changing some things to make you semi-forced to use a shield (if you want to get your mark violation at least)

4. I'm hoping not to make purple powers.  What would you suggest for Nip the Ankles in order to make it black or blue?

5. What do you see as a permanent solution to the forced movement power?  Go with the Flow might be ripped straight from monk (although I made it independently).  But that is the type of effect I was going for.  Should it last to the start of the next turn?

I won't be able to really work on this more until after Winter Fantasy is done, but when I get back and make some serious changes I would appreciate a second look (although, I'm not asking for anything nearly as detailed as your little miniguide cause that was awesome).

Show
1. I missed that and then remembered it after. But it was late night/early morning when I wrote that up (note all the typos), so we'll blame it on the lack of sleep. Rephrase:

Nerathi Vanguard if you have no secondary stat at attack-caliber (18-x builds),   Midnight Blade/Vigilante Justice for everyone else. I'm actually not too keen on Vigilante Justice because it does not necessarily add an extra attack here. The decision tree post Riposte+VJS is actually so lose/lose-lose for a monster that the correct behavior is to actually move (not shift) out of your aura, taking a regular OA without the extradamage dice, and then take its free pick of targets to attack with impunity.

2. Encounter Powers should be rated based on their 'battlefield impact'. Opening Move doesn't have that much battlefield impact for an O-Rogue in the greater scheme of things (compared to, say, Dazing Strike), but it is valuable to the Shield Dancer because it keeps you alive, and you are the battlefield impact. I originally rated this a Dark Blue, but we might just be borderline Sky Blue here. Guarded Attack is just Riposte Strike with a tiny bit more damage, and can't be augmented with style feats, which is where the real money is. Was Red, still is.

3. Boooooo.

4. We'll frame this in the same logic as powers in the paladin handbook. At Daily 1, if you can take a power to inflict Dead, you take it over anything else single-target. That's why the 4[W] Straladin power is so highly rated. If its not single target, then it needs to apply appreciable control over multiple targets. I liken this to the Berserker power selection as well - you have a 4[W] single target and a close burst 1 prone, both of which are at least par value.

To be competitive with Blinding Barrage, I'd expect at minimum a multi-targetting Immobilize (similar analogue exists on the paladin and swordmage lists - close burst 1 immobilize ENT. Hell, warlocks get it as area burst save-ends). Requiring CA is also harsh. If it needs CA to initiate the attack, it should outperform a stock power of its similar class and function that doesn't. Having a target line of "One, Two, or Three targets granting you CA" might be more interesting, dealing 3[W], 2[W], or 1[W] damage depending on how many you target.

To match a 4[W] power, there's already Press the Advantage and a 3[W] charge power, so that niche is mostly filled. But...you might be able to produce a similar caliber power and have multi-target impact to boot. Example: "Spiked Shield Shock": Primary attack vs AC: 3[W]+Dex. Effect, Push 2 you may shift after your target; make a second attack vs all targets adjacent to the target you just threw. Sec Attack vs Fort: 1d6 and Prone.

5. My defender-fu is weak, but I think even fighters end up having a problem vs forced movement, so its not exactly like there's actually a well-documented solution out there. Until start of next round is probably a more appropriate power level for a U6 - Rangers and Artificers actually get force-movement negation interrupts as U2s. A Daily stance that lets you do that U6 effect all encounter long might even be useful.

Edit:

For as much as we rip on Bajat over in charop, he's at least partially got the right idea. Cross-class power analogue awareness is important, at least as far as rating at what level a theoretical class is suppose to perform at, and in developing new content.