My draft tonight - got passed a pack rat

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
My fun story of the night

I first-pick rix maadi guildmage out of a pack with good green/white/blue and weak black and no red other than the gm. I then get passed pack rat! And then stab wound, 2 splatter thugs, etc, and end up drafting a pretty nice rakdos deck. I'm guessing that first pack had something like foil sphinx's revelation?

Round 1 game 1 is a hand with 4 lands, street spasm, spawn of rix maadi, and explosive impact. Literally all my most expensive cards. So I mulligan into pack rat and win game 1 no problem.

I know, I know, everyone's rolling their eyes right now. Pack rat is a pretty sick card, makes me feel kinda bad winning with it. I just wanted to revel for a sec in my good fortune, maybe to remind myself that good luck does come with the bad. And for the record, I did win game 2 handily without the rat (its still a good deck without it).

Edit:
here's the decklist:
drainpipe vermin
dynacharge
gore-house chainwalker
grim roustabout
pack rat
rakdos shred-freak
rix maadi guildmage
thrill-kill assassin
auger spree
stab wound x2
dead reveler
sewer shambler x2
splatter thug x2
traitorous instinct
cobblebrute
perilous shadow
rakdos ragemutt
spawn of rix maadi
explosive impact
street spasm
swamp x9
mountain x8
Follow up

Well I thought my deck was pretty sweet but it did lose the next two matches
Match 2 was close, went to game 3 and I kept a 2 land hand with 2- and 3-cmc spells, on the draw, but got stuck on 2 lands while my opponent curved out with his populate, knightly valor, grove of the guardian deck. Once I got my 3rd land I double stab wounded his 2/5 guy (forget the name) and got him to 8 before I died... In all seriousness there was no way I was gonna win that game, so I thought it would be kinda fun to double-stab wound something. I was right, it was kinda fun.

Match 3 was against azorius detain aura deck.
Game 1 was close but he got righteous authority on lyev skyknight to mess up the math. With traitorous instinct i could only get him to 1 life and then die on the backswing, so instead I cast street spasm on his azorius justiciar and swung in, hoping he wouldn't quite be able to kill me, but he dropped ethereal armor onto the knight, boosting it strong enough to finish me.
For game 2 I sided out the perilous shadow, drainpipe vermin, and street spasm (i didn't see any of the 1W detain guys in this one, while the guy in round 2 had had at least 3) for 2 of that card, discard 2 at random and lose 2 life, name escapes me, and a mind rot. I got an okay hand, not the fastest, swinging in with critters and killing his lyev skyknight with a stab wound before he could plop an enchant on it. He got sphere of safety, concordia pegasus and then suited it up with righteous authority but it was too late. I was land flooding but it actually worked in my favor because I had just enough mana to pay 2 for attacking with a 4/4 grim roustabout (scavenged with sewer shambler), which he couldn't block with his 2/4 pegasus and still stay in the game, and then finish him off with explosive impact in the same turn, which i had mana for since i had flooded.
Game 3 wasn't very close. I can't remember the early game very well but he ended up playing stealer of secrets to his empty board and i played spawn of rix maadi to mine. I figured he had ethereal armor, so I unleashed, and sure enough, he suited up and started getting crazy card advantage, but I was beating down on him somewhat on the back swing. He drew into more detain, including the justiciar, and played another ethereal armor and, you guessed it, righteous authority again. I drew swamps, yay!

Long story short, I got my butt kicked by auras!
I, too, have in fact lost after drafting a Pack Rat.  Statistics happen, sadly.

When you get a chance, mind posting the rest of your picks?

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Sounds like someone picked up a money rare, since Pack Rat is actually just unpassable.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Sounds like someone picked up a money rare, since Pack Rat is actually just unpassable.

During my first RTR draft I got passed an Angel of Serenity second pick. The WTF-factor: there were also three uncommons AND a foil Loxodon Smiter in the pack.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Would have assumed a foil Jace, but the other foil makes me wonder. They were probably trying to force a color, and had no idea how valuable the Angel was. Was it the second or third pack? They may have already committed and grabbed some removal.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
P1P2. I managed to sell AoS for 19 tix afterwords, about twice as much as it trades for nowadays.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)