Double Strike

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been playing magic since June 2012. Lately i have been getting better and becoming a serious competitor at my local fnm shop. I understand deck building and I've had a few people tell me that i have the best deck building skills they've ever seen. However, most of the veteran players at the card shop still consider me to be a player that they don't have to worry about. The main reason for that is because there are a few rulings i'm not clear on. There are 2 certified judges that are at my shop every Friday,but the problem is that a lot of times i get different answers from them and other players.    The main thing i havent been able to clarify is a double strike ruling. When a 5/5 double strike creature attacks and is blocked by a 1/1 or something, does the 2nd strike hit the defending player or planeswalker? I have heard yes by one judge, no from the other, and when i ask someone else, they point and say "He's the Judge". I need some help so that i can start being looked at as a potential threat.
When a 5/5 double strike creature attacks and is blocked by a 1/1 or something, does the 2nd strike hit the defending player or planeswalker?

No, it doesn't.
...unless the creature also has Trample.

510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns no combat damage...

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

than what is the point of double strike?
than what is the point of double strike?

To deal damage to creatures twice.  For example, if the 5/5 was blocked by nine 1/1 creatures, the 5/5 could kill them all and live, since it could kill 5 in the first damage step and the other 4 in the second damage step and it would only take 4 damage.

thanks for the clarification!
Or to deal combat damage to a player twice.

Markov Blademaster and Drogskol Reaver are two examples of how double strike differs from just having twice as much power.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

i just thought of a situation that i need clarification on.

your creature with double strike attacks an opponent with one creature out. he blocks you with his only creature. does your second strike hit the player for damage? 
no, unless the double striker has trample (or similar ability)

blocked creatures without trample (or similar ability) may only assign damage to the creatures blocking it

a creature once blocked remains blocked until it leaves combat or combat ends

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

your creature with double strike attacks an opponent with one creature out. he blocks you with his only creature. does your second strike hit the player for damage? 

No, not unless the attacking creature has trample.
Sign In to post comments