Trying to Understand Exalted Mechanic...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I'm wondering if this particular understanding of exalted is correct:

Let's say that I have a creature with exalted. Then, I declare two different single creatures as attackers, one who has double strike that's 2/2 (e.g. Mirran Crusader) and one that's a 1/1 first strike creature. The opponent declares three blockers, two with first strike that's 1/1, and another creature with NO first strike that's 1/1.

Assuming that there are no instants or other spells added to the stack, then at the first part of the combat phase, if I choose to attack both the opponent's 1/1 first strike creatures, they both die. My 1/1 first strike creature dies, and my 2/2 Mirran Crusader becomes a 1/1. Now, for the second part of the combat phase, I am only attacking with a single creature, so my 1/1 Mirran becomes a 2/2 Mirran that would deal lethal damage to the opponent's last 1/1 blocker, and I'm still alive. 

Is this understanding of exalted's mechanics with the combat phase correct?
I believe this thread should be moved to the rules forum... moderator, please move this thread!
I may be wrong, but wouldn't exalted trigger when you declare attackers, so it wouldn't work the way you're thinking it would. Also we have mods?!
I may be wrong, but wouldn't exalted trigger when you declare attackers, so it wouldn't work the way you're thinking it would. Also we have mods?!

I think you may be right - for instance, if I have 1 first strike creature and another non-first strike creature declared as attackers, then using my logic, for the first part of the combat phase, my first strike creature would be exalted. Unless exalted applies to either part of the combat phase when only one of your creatures attacks alone...
If you have two creatures declared as attackers neither of them get the exalted bonus. That's, like, one of the basic elements of exalted. Only one of your dudes attacks.
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA
Your whole scenario seems to be based on some unusual house rules where combat is concerned. Generally, in Magic you can't attack defending creatures during combat. You attack the opposing player and they choose which creatures they want to defend with. Also, with double strike, both attacks are dealt to the same target, even if the first attack would have killed it, unless your double striker is being blocked by more than one defending creature, in which case damage can be divided amongst the defenders as you choose.

And yes, exalted only triggers if you attack with one solitary creature - as far as I'm aware, there are no special tricks for getting around that. Using first strike and double strike creatures definitely doesn't.
And yes, exalted only triggers if you attack with one solitary creature - as far as I'm aware, there are no special tricks for getting around that. Using first strike and double strike creatures definitely doesn't.

The requirement for Exalted is that only one creature is declared as an attacker. Creatures that enter the battlefield attacking (Geist of Saint Traft, Kaalia of the Vast, etc) don't interfere with Exalted.
There is so much wrong with what you wrote.

First, the combat phase consists of 5 steps (or 6 if first or double strike are involved):

beginning of combat
declare attackers
declare blockers
(first strike combat damage)
combat damage
end of combat

Your creatures can only attack opponents or their planeswalkers. They cannot attack other creatures. If your opponent decides to block an attacker with multiple creatures, you decide the order in which they line up to take combat damage from your attacker. And you have to decide at the time the blockers are declared. When the combat damage step comes around, your creature must assign combat damage to its blockers in the order you chose, and it must assign at least lethal damage to the first blocker in line before it can assign damage to the next blocker and so on.

Exalted is a triggered ability. It triggers only if you declare a single creature as attacker in the declare attackers step. It goes on the stack and once it resolves, that lone attacker gets the bonus until the end of the turn. This all happens before your opponent gets to declare blockers. It doesn't matter, if another creature enters the battlefield attacking after exalted triggered, and it won't retroactively trigger if you declared more than one creature as attacker and then all but one are removed.

Damage doesn't reduce power/toughness unless that damage comes from a source with wither or infect. In which case the damage is dealt in the form of -1/-1 counters and those reduce power/toughness. A Mirran Crusader that takes 1 damage is a 2/2 with 1 damage marked on him. Marked damage remains on permanents until the cleanup step (the very last part of the turn) or if an effect removes it (regeneration, totem armor).