Atari Bankrupt

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I recently read that Atari is going bankrupt (again).  

Do they still have the rights to publish games under the D&D Licence?   What if anything might this mean for new D&D games based on the D&D Next rules? 

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I recently read that Atari is going bankrupt (again).  

Do they still have the rights to publish games under the D&D Licence?   What if anything might this mean for new D&D games based on the D&D Next rules? 

Perfect World now has the rights which they gained when they bought Cryptic Studios IIRC.
Atari loose the rights to publish D&D games for a couple of years by now.  While some games got published under atari that were quite decent like Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.  It's bankrupcy have nothing to do with D&D, thought.

neither Cryptic or Perfect World have exclusivity over D&D license as of now.

Perfect World now has the rights which they gained when they bought Cryptic Studios IIRC.

ok thanks. For some reason I thought they still had rights to publish games under the D&D licence (ie. Daggerdale)

Atari loose the rights to publish D&D games for a couple of years by now.  While some games got published under atari that were quite decent like Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2.  It's bankrupcy have nothing to do with D&D, thought.

neither Cryptic or Perfect World have exclusivity over D&D license as of now.

True.  It would be most accurate to say that Perfect World is the only video game company who currently has any rights to making a new D&D video game.  Their rights extend to only the one game however.

i think WotC now holds the rights to dnd video games. i remember Mike Mearls being happy to announce it at some panel at gencon/DDXP.
i think WotC now holds the rights to dnd video games. i remember Mike Mearls being happy to announce it at some panel at gencon/DDXP.

well that's good to hear because I really miss all the great D&D games.     Atari just sat on the IP and did nothing with it.  

That is my understanding too.  They now license single games as opposed to entire rights.  Perfect World/Cryptic is currently working on Neverwinter, an MMO based on 4th Edition due out sometime early this year.

No, I don't think they do have the rights.  Atari assigned Cryptic the Neverwinter game before selling the company.  When Perfect World bought Cryptic, there was a settlement of some type that kept Neverwinter with Cryptic.  Well, that was my understanding of the situation. 

On a side note...
Might wanna check this:

eternity.obsidian.net/

A new game that's being developed by the folks who did Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil and other D&D and non-D&D great games.
(Obsidian Entertainment)

It will be a pre-render RPG in the old Baldur's Gate style!