Gatecrash Rules Update

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
It hasn't officially been released yet, but here's a tidbit from the FAQ that's presumably in there somewhere:

* Due to a recent rules change, once you are allowed to look at a face-down card in exile, you are allowed to look at that card as long as it’s exiled. If you no longer control Bane Alley Broker when its last ability resolves, you can continue to look at the relevant cards in exile to choose one to return.

That's pretty much how every player ever tends to play these kinds of cards, so it's a nice change. And likely allows them to clean up ugly templating on Hideaway and cards like Jester's Scepter significantly.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

The current plan is to add a sentence in the middle of 406.3 for the Gatecrash Comp. Rules update. The draft of that rule looks like this:

406.3. Exiled cards are, by default, kept face up and may be examined by any player at any time. Cards “exiled face down” can’t be examined by any player except when instructions allow it. However, once a player is allowed to look at a card exiled face down, that player may continue to look at that card as long as it remains exiled, even if the instruction allowing the player to do so no longer applies. A card exiled face down has no characteristics, but the spell or ability that exiled it may allow it to be played from exile. Unless that card is being cast face down (see rule 707.4), the card is turned face up just before the player announces that he or she is playing the card (see rule 601.2).

The change to the rules won't affect the Oracle text of individual cards in next week's Oracle update. If there are any nominations for the Dragon's Maze Oracle update, we'd be glad to hear them.

Del Laugel

Editing manager, Magic TCG

Well it's not quite Oracle, but since Hideaway was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this... Maybe something like this:

702.73a Hideaway represents two static abilities and a triggered ability. "Hideaway" means "This permanent enters the battlefield tapped", "When this permanent enters the battlefield, look at the top four cards of your library. Exile one of them face down and put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order", and "You may look at cards exiled with this permanent."

On individual cards, the changes would mostly involve removing that ugly "for as long as it remains exiled" text:
Gustha's Scepter's first ability could read: "{T}: Exile a card from your hand face down. You may look at it."
Intet, the Dreamer's trigger: Whenever Intet, the Dreamer deals combat damage to a player, you may pay {2}{U}. If you do, exile the top card of your library face down. You may look at that card. You may play that card without paying its mana cost for as long as Intet remains on the battlefield.
Jester's Scepter's trigger: When Jester's Scepter enters the battlefield, exile the top five cards of target player's library face down. You may look at those cards.
Three Wishes: Exile the top three cards of your library face down. You may look at those cards. Until your next turn, you may play those cards. At the beginning of your next upkeep, put any of those cards you didn't play into your graveyard.

One thing that might be worth thinking about while you're looking at that rule: I have seen way, way too many people check what was under their Clone Shells because they didn't realize that they shouldn't be able to look--after all, they were looking at the card when they chose to exile it, so why shouldn't they know what it is? The same issue also arises with cards that exile cards face-down from hands, like Bottled Cloister or Summoner's Egg. Maybe it would be possible to say that if the card was exiled from a hand, or a player was looking at the card when it was exiled face-down, that the appropriate player may continue to look at it?

With such cards, the point of exiling them face-down is almost invariably to hide the information from opponents, not the player who already had it, so while it would functionally change a number of cards, it wouldn't cause any actual damage, and just bring them in line with the way players already tend to play them anyway. About the only card there would need to be an allowance for is Parallel Thoughts.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

For hideaway, wouldn't it be better to make the "looking" a part of the triggered ability?
For hideaway, wouldn't it be better to make the "looking" a part of the triggered ability?

If it where part of the triggered ability then an opponent who gained control of the hideaway land wouldn't be able to look at the face down card.