Maverick Light

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to preface this list with a note that I play in a pretty relaxed meta at my FNM. There are Tier 1 concepts (Bant control, R/b deck wins, Selesnya aggro), but not a lot of tier 1 cards/decks, so please keep that in mind when providing feedback. The list is based off of the Legacy Maverick concept, in that it is a mix of disruption, removal, and efficient beats, only with way worse cards because hey, it's Standard.

My stores meta is pretty heavy on creatures, which is why I want to test the Wight. He's like standard's sad, weak jealous echo of Tarmo, but given the creature distribution I feel like he might be potent. All of my other creatures are just efficient P/T :: CMC.

My biggest concern is that I'm stretching my mana with my creatures, and that the Wight may be better off as a W or G dude to ease up on my mana requirements. Alternatively, the Wight may just be garbage, but I haven't tested yet so who knows.

Removal Package looks a bit heavy, but 5 of them are charms and perform other functions in a pinch. I wish I could abuse Orzhov Charm's third mode a bit more (my friend suggested expirament one) but I don't know if it is worth it. Doomed traveler is also a consideration.

Duress is there mainly to pinch removal and keep my board prescence. There is enough sorcery speed removal that I think this will be relevant enough, and it gives me a way to deal with verdict, terminus, etc. Mind rot is for later so I can strip the remainder of their hand, and Liliana is there because she's freakin Liliana.

Rancor may just be wrong for this build, punching through damage shouldn't be hard depending on how well I can control the board.

Really looking forward to feedback, especially regarding disruption/creature choices, as these are the most experimental.

Nobody? Is this so awful that it doesn't warrent any discussion at all?

This is the internet for god's sake. Someone somewhere has to have an opinion! 
Here's an opinion: It sucks.

No, but really, what usually happens is that you post at a time when the forums are moving fast, or you just didn't interest someone with the deck name (a snazzy deck name means all the difference). I was actually thinking about a deck that just jammed the best creatures for CMC last night.

The Wight seems powerful, but at the same time it is diffcult to benefit from it- some decks run  few to no creatures. Experiment One actually doesn't seem too bad in a deck like this.

That said, you might just want to look at the bant hexproof deck that's catching popularity. I'm not too sure where else to point you, except more 4/4 creatures for 3 and 4 mana.

(at)MrEnglish22

Ha! Thanks. I had a feeling it got flooded out by other posts, but I like my bumps to at least be amusing.

Like I said, the wight is a meta call, since I see a heavy amount of creature based decks in my store. Experiment one may just be better for control, since he can duck a boardwipe.

Oh lord, that bant hexproof deck. It is so hillarious. If I had the resources to build it I would, but I hate GoST so much that I can't bear to actually spend money on him.

What I really want is better discard, but alas, Gatecrash dissapointed me there.

Any opinions on rancor? I'm still on the fence there. 
Ha! Thanks. I had a feeling it got flooded out by other posts, but I like my bumps to at least be amusing.

Like I said, the wight is a meta call, since I see a heavy amount of creature based decks in my store. Experiment one may just be better for control, since he can duck a boardwipe.

Oh lord, that bant hexproof deck. It is so hillarious. If I had the resources to build it I would, but I hate GoST so much that I can't bear to actually spend money on him.

What I really want is better discard, but alas, Gatecrash dissapointed me there.

Any opinions on rancor? I'm still on the fence there. 

If you have a lot of creature decks in your meta, still don't think you want 4 wight. it isn't very impressive on T2. You generally just want dudes that are better than theirs.

Yeah, I traded for a GoST at 15 for my cube. Sold it at half price for 18 when I was looking for a job. Not planning to get another until after rotation. But the deck is cute and has some power to it.

And yeah, most people are dissapointed with Gatecrash. I think that's a wonderful thing. Means there isn't a good chance of a top deck appearing and we will continue having a healthy metagame.

And rancor? Its an enchantment. Gives +2/+0 and Trample. Its a powerful enchantment. Probably good with Alms Beast.

Thinking on it, you might just want to run Sublime Archangel (though its pricey)

(at)MrEnglish22

If you have a lot of creature decks in your meta, still don't think you want 4 wight. it isn't very impressive on T2. You generally just want dudes that are better than theirs.

Yeah, I traded for a GoST at 15 for my cube. Sold it at half price for 18 when I was looking for a job. Not planning to get another until after rotation. But the deck is cute and has some power to it.

And yeah, most people are dissapointed with Gatecrash. I think that's a wonderful thing. Means there isn't a good chance of a top deck appearing and we will continue having a healthy metagame.

And rancor? Its an enchantment. Gives +2/+0 and Trample. Its a powerful enchantment. Probably good with Alms Beast.

Thinking on it, you might just want to run Sublime Archangel (though its pricey)

I keep going back and forth on the Wight. He doesn't fit well in the early curve, but he has the potential to be a boss late game. Starting to think that it just isn't enough to warrent him for the spot. Experiment one, while a horrible late game top deck, at least grows based on what I do. I will probably end up testing both ways, but a split may be the best option. Alternatively, Doomed Traveler may make it back in because he blocks well, is sweeper resilient, and can be snagged by Orzhov Charm and rancor'd up.

I agree about gatecrash. I was pretty happy when I saw the bunch of 5 and 6 mana 4/4's, because I feel that is fair. None of the creatures are just stand-out busted, but there are plenty that feel like possible sleepers. Aurelia's Fury is the only spell that is just blatently good, but I do wonder how well the Cipher stuff is going to work. I may even try one or two of the cipher discard spell to keep pressure on my opponent's hand.

Now if they would just kill off hexproof, I'd be happy. 

My only contention with Rancor is that it could be something a tad bit more contingent with my gameplan (removal/disruption) or even a few copies of Blind Obediance, which I agree with everyone who says its more of an aggro card than a control card. 
N-N-N-Necro!

After much debate, I have decided that Experiment One is a better option than Wight of Precinct six. He's harder to get rid of and I can grab him with Orzhov Charm's  third mode, which is a nice bonus. Every creature I have can evolve him (from base, anyway), which helps make him a bit more viable. He smooths out my mana requirements as well (creatures up to alms beast are all G/W castable), so thats good.

Miserable topdeck, but there aren't many 1-drops that aren't.

All this on the off chance that someone cares about this deck. 
I'd have posted but I've been busy.
Wight seems like a good 1-of, because its miserably bad on turns 2-5 and horrid against creature light decks. Seems powerful against reanimator decks though.
Only reason I like Rancor is because its just a powerful card. Its really nice on an Experiment (lets you more freely use counters to regenerate) or any other creature, really.

(at)MrEnglish22

Jman, really appreciate the feedback. I couldn't brew this one out with an internal monologue, and my friends aren't the best builders out there (not that I'm any better, mind).

I was considering swapping Rancor for Blind Obedience, but it doesn't fit. BO is really more of an aggro card. May put it in the board if I see a lot of aggro in the coming weeks.

Now it's just a matter of playtesting.
Jman, really appreciate the feedback. I couldn't brew this one out with an internal monologue, and my friends aren't the best builders out there (not that I'm any better, mind).

I was considering swapping Rancor for Blind Obedience, but it doesn't fit. BO is really more of an aggro card. May put it in the board if I see a lot of aggro in the coming weeks.

Now it's just a matter of playtesting.

I disagree with the general opinion of BO. Its a card  you want a lot when you are ahead, and is nice to have when you need to catch up. The  downsides are that it doesn't break stalemates well and it doesn't actually answer stuff.

What I would really like is a 3/3 for 1 with a drawback of some kind.

(at)MrEnglish22

Something like Carnophage (except a 3/3, or hell, even a 3/2) would be amazing.

Blind Obedience is one of those cards that slots well into tempo decks. You run it out the turn before they can play dudes big enough to gum up the board and stop your pressure, ideally finishing them off in a turn or two. Extort giving it reach is gravy. Like you said, its a bad topdeck when you want removal, or any way to punch a guy through.

All the people ranting about it being a control card have it backwards. This is how aggro answers midrange/control fat. 

Depending on how the format shapes up, it may find its way into my deck over Rancor, or at least in some kind of split, but we'd have to see a heavy shift to grindy big-butt board states to warrent it.
Something like Carnophage (except a 3/3, or hell, even a 3/2) would be amazing.

Blind Obedience is one of those cards that slots well into tempo decks. You run it out the turn before they can play dudes big enough to gum up the board and stop your pressure, ideally finishing them off in a turn or two. Extort giving it reach is gravy. Like you said, its a bad topdeck when you want removal, or any way to punch a guy through.

All the people ranting about it being a control card have it backwards. This is how aggro answers midrange/control fat. 

Depending on how the format shapes up, it may find its way into my deck over Rancor, or at least in some kind of split, but we'd have to see a heavy shift to grindy big-butt board states to warrent it.

Definitely a good description of BO, but I think that it is good enough to warrant being in any white deck, really.

(at)MrEnglish22

You have a point. even if it only funcitons as a 2 mana extort enchantment in a removal heavy control deck, it's still reach that you can ping them with as you build up to your finisher. The bonus that it randomly stuffs hasty creatures is definately not small. Gives you a turn to react to them, and helps punch your fat through post-wrath blockers.

The more I think about it, the more versatile it becomes. It'll never be the stand-out card in a deck, but it will do work. 
You have a point. even if it only funcitons as a 2 mana extort enchantment in a removal heavy control deck, it's still reach that you can ping them with as you build up to your finisher. The bonus that it randomly stuffs hasty creatures is definately not small. Gives you a turn to react to them, and helps punch your fat through post-wrath blockers.

The more I think about it, the more versatile it becomes. It'll never be the stand-out card in a deck, but it will do work. 

Preordered my 3 playsets at 3 a piece, and not looking back

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm still torn on my 1-drop/2-drop inclusions. I'm now considering:

Dutiful Thrull -> stalls the board, holds rancor very well, Orzhov Charm Target
Experiment One -> can get big, also charm target
Thrull Parasite - > 1-drop extort, secondary randomly relevant ability
Doomed Traveler -> resilient to wraths

I'm now kinda leaning towards the Dutiful Thrull, only because it regenerates for super cheap, so it shuts down faster aggro decks.