[Contest] General Mayhem: You Remake the Legend - Dakkon Blackblade

51 posts / 0 new
Last post

General Mayhem : You Remake the Legend

Elzaban the Ethereal keeps winning these. It's up to you to stop him! Scion's gonna help you, by throwing you guys the biggest bone in Legends.

For those of you just tuning in: I'm doing this challenge/contest to redesign Legends legends. I have the full 55-name list and I'll be choosing one at random for each contest. I want to see what YOU, the YMTC community, can do with the stories and flavor of these legends. This contest will (presumably) run as one-of contests going through as many of the 55 as we can before folks get bored. So far so good, so here we go!

Without further ado:

Dakkon Blackblade

Careful boys and girls, Scion's got a spicy one for you this time. With one badass surname and one of the best card arts in all of Magic history, he has captured the imagination of new and old players alike for nigh on two decades now. This is a creature that players are happy to shim sideways into their esper decks just to lay him on the field and marvel at his awesome power.

Problem is, he's never been on-pie. It didn't stop people from loving to play him, but more than any other Legend, I believe this guy encapsulates what it is to be awesome without any support from the text box. So, let's see what YOU can do with one of the grandpappys of Legend-dom!

Please pay particular attention to Rule #7 below. Good luck! 

Rules of the Road:

1. Contest is open from now until 48 hours later.

2. I'll be grading these super-quick on a 1-10 scale.

3. The redesigns should be made with fun gameplay at the forefront and with Commander in mind.

4. The card has to have a new name (think Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa).

5. Stats and mana cost are up to you, but preference will be given to entries whose mana cost, creature types, and p/t stick as close as comfortable to the originals.

6. I know there've been a number of similar contests in the past, so please try to submit something new. Honor system!

7. No Planeswalkers, please! I know Nicol Bolas ascended, but we're keeping Dakkon and the rest of the Elder Dragons rooted on the ground.

Previous contests:

1. Lady Caleria - winner: turnip_song

2. Palladia-Mors - winner: vlord

3. Tuknir Deathlock - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

4. Arcades Sabboth - winner: selims1693

5. Halfdane - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

6. Ur-Drago - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Dakkon Mana-Lancer
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
: ~ gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
: ~ gains shroud until end of turn.
: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
5/5
The rift opened and Dakkon saw Esper yawning widely in front of it, and he decided that this was a world he could take.

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Dakkon of the Somnerswerd -- :WM::UM::BM:
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (R)

Hexproof
Whenever Dakkon of the Somnerswerd attacks or deals combat damage, tap target creature.
:WM::UM::BM:, unattach all equipment from Dakkon of the Somnerswerd: Tap each creature you don't control. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's untap steps. Activate this ability only if Dakkon of the Somnerswerd is equipped.

4 / 4
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Oh sweet! It's never been established whether Dakkon was a Planeswalker in post-rev continuity so I'm going to be super tricky and make him a Pla--
No Planeswalkers, please! I know Nicol Bolas ascended, but we're keeping Dakkon and the rest of the Elder Dragons rooted on the ground.

DAMMIT SCION.  D:

(I'll try to come up with something for this for real later) 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Dakkon Fenblade
Whenever Dakkon Fenblade attacks, search your library for up to five Swamp cards and put them onto the battlefield under defending player’s control, then shuffle your library. For each land put onto the battlefield this way, its controller sacrifices a nonland permanent.
5/5

working prototype

Originally had it as any number of swamps, but decided instant death with polluted bonds or ankh of mishra was unhealthy. This version still interacts interestingly with lots of things without enabling the kinds of kills that make EDH players sad.
The Blackblade
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a creature, exile it.
Equipped creature gets +4/-1 for each card exiled with ~.
Equip - Exile a creature you control

Screw #5

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Dakkon Halfheart, Bladewielder
When Dakkon Blackblade enters the battlefield each player loses a life for each land they control then returns each land they control to their owner's hands.
"I bring freedom to those enslaved by power."
5/5

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Dakkon, Bearer of the Blackblade

Whenever ~ would deal lethal combat damage to a creature, exile it instead.
~ gets +X/+Y and all the abilities of cards exiled with it, where X is the total power and Y is the total toughness of cards exiled with it.

He wields a sword so destructive that it can split the very essence of it's victims. He shows no mercy.

6/6
Dakkon the Shadowslayer
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may any number of lands you control. ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands exile this way. When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield. 
Spells you cast cost  less to cast.
The trail of dead left behind marked the day he became known by the blade he forged.
*/*
holy brilliant ultimatums, batman!
Dakkon, Liege of the Moors

Dakkon, Liege of the Moors' power and thoughness is equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
Whenever you play Dakkon, Liege of the Moors, or it attacks, each player reveals cards from the top of their libraries until they reveal a land card, then put the revealed cards into their graveyards.
  */*
Dakkon the Dead-Eyed

Legendary Creature-Human Warrior
Dakkon the Dead-Eyed's power and toughness are both equal to the number of cards exiled with Dakkon the Dead-Eyed

Whenever Dakkon the Dead-Eyed enters the battlefield or deals damage to a player, exile the top four cards of your library. You may cast cards exiled with Dakkon the Dead-Eyed without paying their mana cost.

Sacrifice two lands, : Dakkon the Dead-Eyed deals 1 damage to target player.

Dakkon the Dead-Eyed cannot attack or block.

The Blackblade shattered, and his servitude to Dihada was finished. In her parting gift, she gouged out his eyes, leaving him to wander Corondor for all of eternity.
*/*

I wavered on this.  I was first thinking about doing a Glissa, the Traitor-type guy-got-turned Phyrexian-or-into-a-Zombie card.  But since he’s already black, I decided to refocus on Equipment, and casting stuff without paying its mana cost.  That seems very white-blue-black.  The result is essentially an Equipment lord.  Then, just as I was about to submit it, I decided to give it a Mirrodin/Esper feel.  So I decided that he died, but was reanimated in Mirrodin's Core, half Dakkon, half metal.  The CMC is the same, but I decided to make the mana symbols all Phyrexian.

Dakkon Reanimated

Legendary Artifact Creature-Warrior

Dakkon Reanimated is unblockable

Dakkon Reanimated’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of Equipments you control.

Whenever Dakkon Reanimated deals damage to a player, you may cast target Equipment card with converted mana cost X without paying its mana cost, where X is less than or equal to the amount of damage Dakkon dealt this turn

*/*

Not satisfied with Myr to rule over Mirrodin, Memnarch remolded the legend of the lands in Mirrodin's Core.  The results were disturbing.    

Dakkon, Wielder of Blackblade

Dakkon, Wielder of Blackblade has power and toughness equal to the number of different lands you control (for instance, if you control a swamp, three islands and two plains, Dakkon is 3/3)
, discard a card: Search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
*/*
Problem is, he's never been on-pie.

Hmmm...is there a good way to keep his P/T effectively the same and still keep him on pie?  Let's try something...

Dakkon, the Vindicator |
Legendary Creature -- Human Warrior
As Dakkon, the Vindictor enters the battlefield, choose a basic land type.
Dakkon, the Vindicator's power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands you control of the chosen type.
, Sacrifice a land of the chosen type: Destroy target permanent.
As Dakkon traveled with Carth, his desires shifted from power to purpose.
*/*

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
This one is quite the challenge huh
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Drawing from the original source of inspiration (the song Black Blade). Blackblade is a sword that can siphon a person's soul—to symbolize that, the second ability is bridging on the flavor-text of Unholy Strength (the 8th Edition version) and a Soulshriek-like concept. The power of Blackblade surges within them, but it's too much for most, and so their soul is burned out; from which the sword sucks their soul up in the undertow.

I originally wanted to do at least one ability along the lines of Storm Seeker, because that's also based on Black Blade; the sword whose original name is Stormbringer; but the design went in a whole 'nother direction.

The first ability ties into the flavor-text of the original concept Dakkon Blackblade; and the ultimate ability is like an enabler, allowing players to custom-fit cool land-type based effects that might otherwise be out of reach because they don't match up with Dakkon's main colors. To open the abilities max potential, you can change any land type to any other land type. For example, you can change Scalding Tarn to let your search for Cloudpost.

As for the name, it's just the same as the original art; you just can't do any better.

Dakkon of the Blackblade
Planeswalker — Dakkon
Dakkon of the Blackblade counts as seven lands of each type among lands you control.
[0] Target creature gets +X/-X, where X is equal to that creature's power. If a creature dies this way, put X loyalty counters on Dakkon.
[-2] Prompt — Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one land type or color word with another.
[7]

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Dakkon, Seeker of Blackblade
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of lands you control.
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each land exiled this way.
"I will find what is mine."- Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
4/4
Dakkon Bladelord
~'s power is equal to the number of swamps you control and ~'s toughness are equal to the number of swamps you control.
Lifelink, Deathtouch
: Switch ~'s power and toughness until end of turn.
*/*
Dakkon the Planeswalker Slayer        :Wm::Um::Um::Bm:
Plainswalk, islandwalk, swampwalk 
Dakkon the Planeswalker Slayer's power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands you control.
: Tap all lands. Destroy target permanent with converting mana cost less than the number of untapped lands tapped this way. If a Planeswalker is destroyed this way, sacrifice three lands.  Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

*/*

He travelled to numerous places. He draws his power from everywhere he visited.
Dakkon, Seeker of the Blackblade | :W::U::B:
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Plains, search your library for an equipment card and add it to your hand. If you control two or more Islands, you may put an equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you control two or more Swamps, you may attach an equipment card onto ~. When ~ is equipped, ~ gains power and toughness equal to the number of lands you control.
"I've been searching over every field, swamp, and pond to find the Blackblade! Its power is within my grasp!"
4/4
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
This one got long in the tooth. But I'm closing it! Grades will come tonight.
I'm totally going to pretend that I didn't enter this one because I wanted to give everyone else a fighting chance, but honestly I completely missed the thread, and also have never been able to come up with a design for a Dakkon that actually felt right. He's a character who's story, colours, ability, none of it makes sense or works together, but it somehow makes him so endearing. But he was my first card, so I'm a bit biased maybe.
I'm totally going to pretend that I didn't enter this one because I wanted to give everyone else a fighting chance, but honestly I completely missed the thread, and also have never been able to come up with a design for a Dakkon that actually felt right. He's a character who's story, colours, ability, none of it makes sense or works together, but it somehow makes him so endearing. But he was my first card, so I'm a bit biased maybe.

Yea, this has to be one of the hardest to pin down. There's something about Dakkon that is endearing yet has little to do with his text box. It is, in a way, opposite most cards. 
THAT'S NOT GRADES AT ALL

As mentioned at the start of the thread, this is quite a challenge. There's something very 'zen' about Dakkon and his abilities. The ultimate goal is to capture his mystique without cluttering the text box too much. As we see, this was easier said than done.

However, there were a number of stellar entries, with Elzaban_the_Ethereal sitting this one out, it let the likes of FirstTurnKill shine through with a 10-pointer! Congrats, FTK!

And now, to grades:

Dakkon, Seeker of the Blackblade | :W::U::B:
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Plains, search your library for an equipment card and add it to your hand. If you control two or more Islands, you may put an equipment card from your hand onto the battlefield. If you control two or more Swamps, you may attach an equipment card onto ~. When ~ is equipped, ~ gains power and toughness equal to the number of lands you control.
"I've been searching over every field, swamp, and pond to find the Blackblade! It's power is within my grasp!"
4/4

Here's a version that is heading in the right direction I think. The card references lands, harkens to the myth of the Blackblade, and gives you a path to get to greatness. The lands you need for each ability are in-color (white tutors equipment, blue Tinkers, and black equips for free via Lashwrithe and Nightmare Lash). They even got the right mana cost so it is possible, with basic lands, to live the dream and tutor up an equipment and attach the card. Now I do have to point out the wording issues; it's not Magic-grammar correct, but I can look those over. They even added flavor text which is a bit too literal for my taste, but the effort is there. While there's something about this card, call it the X-factor, that I believe isn't there, this is overall a stellar entry.

Grade: 8

Dakkon the Planeswalker Slayer :Wm::Um::Um::Bm:
Dakkon the Planeswalker Slayer's power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands you control.
: Tap all lands. Destroy target permanent with converting mana cost less than the number of untapped lands tapped this way. If a Planeswalker is destroyed this way, sacrifice three lands. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

*/*

This is another interesting entry which tilts strongly towards Dakkon's backstory. While not a requirement, I do like it done here. I like the story told in the abilities; Dakkon is permanently marred when fighting planeswalkers. Nice card. However, this version is 'strictly better' than the original, which is something I do not like. The ability, also, is a beating. Tap it on upkeep and they lose their turn. What do you sacrifice, an attack step? Ethersworn Adjudicator is probably the closest Vindicate-on-a-stick that I'd be ok with. This guy is flat-out broken and unfun once he gets going. Digging in the right places, but you turned up a tin can.

Grade: 4

Dakkon Bladelord
~'s power is equal to the number of swamps you control and ~'s toughness are equal to the number of swamps you control.
Lifelink, Deathtouch
: Switch ~'s power and toughness until end of turn.
*/*

So this card, huh? I'm not a fan of the mana cost, the text box reads very crazy, and the "switch PT", normally an ability I love, does nothing from the outset since the values are the same. The two abilities and the PT switch are checkboxes for his colors, and I think the poster neglected the fact that his mana cost allows you to cast him in a mono- deck yet his PT is swamp-based. Not sure what's going on here, but I want it to stop.

Grade: 2

Dakkon, Seeker of Blackblade
Legendary Creature- Human Warrior
As ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of lands you control.
~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each land exiled this way.
"I will find what is mine."- Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
4/4

So this card is interesting, and quite a solid package, however the self-exilegeddon is a drawback no one wants to stomach. Magic has been moving for years to all-upside guys. Even the most common argument against all-upside, history, can't be used here; Dakkon never had a drawback. I like a lot about this card, but I don't think self-exile makes me feel good to play him.

Grade: 7

Drawing from the original source of inspiration (the song Black Blade). Blackblade is a sword that can siphon a person's soul—to symbolize that, the second ability is bridging on the flavor-text of Unholy Strength (the 8th Edition version) and a Soulshriek-like concept. The power of Blackblade surges within them, but it's too much for most, and so their soul is burned out; from which the sword sucks their soul up in the undertow.

I originally wanted to do at least one ability along the lines of Storm Seeker, because that's also based on Black Blade; the sword whose original name is Stormbringer; but the design went in a whole 'nother direction.

The first ability ties into the flavor-text of the original concept Dakkon Blackblade; and the ultimate ability is like an enabler, allowing players to custom-fit cool land-type based effects that might otherwise be out of reach because they don't match up with Dakkon's main colors. To open the abilities max potential, you can change any land type to any other land type. For example, you can change Scalding Tarn to let your search for Cloudpost.

As for the name, it's just the same as the original art; you just can't do any better.

Dakkon of the Blackblade
Planeswalker — Dakkon
Dakkon of the Blackblade counts as seven lands of each type among lands you control.
[0] Target creature gets +X/-X, where X is equal to that creature's power. If a creature dies this way, put X loyalty counters on Dakkon.
[-2] Prompt — Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one land type or color word with another.
[7]

Later on in the thread, the ever-impressive Mown bucked all perceived rules and created an Equipment for this contest. Now the thing is I never EXPLICITLY disallowed something like this, much to my chagrin. I really wanted people to create Legendary Creatures, but never made that a requirement. What does this have to do with Kevin? The one stipulation I DID make, is to not make a Planeswalker.

Disqualified.

Hmmm...is there a good way to keep his P/T effectively the same and still keep him on pie? Let's try something...

Dakkon, the Vindicator |
Dakkon, the Vindicator's power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands you control of the chosen type.
*/*

Yeees. I love this card. It's kinda griefer for my taste...but we're not making cards to please theScion, we're making cards to be awesome. And this fits the bill. It wasn't made 'strictly better', as it requires a particular basic land type. This card tells a story about how, as he goes on in life, he weakens destroying things. It's almost like the Blackblade takes its toll from his very soul. The progress of this card even hints at using his ability for wanton destruction first, then carefully as Dakkon's power wanes. The name and the flavor text are likewise awesome. They even kept the original type and mana cost! The one change I would make here is to make the activated ability cost line up with Vindicate, but that's a minor nitpick to a winner of a card.

Grade: 10

Dakkon, Wielder of Blackblade

Dakkon, Wielder of Blackblade has power and toughness equal to the number of different lands you control (for instance, if you control a swamp, three islands and two plains, Dakkon is 3/3)
, discard a card: Search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
*/*

Mini-Dakkon is an interesting if confusing card. I like how he is a non-basic land enabler, and would go great in Commander. The way his p/t is worded, it's very confusing, but I don't think one could word it better. He has a sort of tutor ability which has a sideways basis in blue with Dreamscape Artist and in white with Weathered Wayfarer, but that doesn't justify it's inclusion. Still, this would be a worthy general and a worthy follow-up to the Dakkon name.

Grade: 8

I wavered on this. I was first thinking about doing a Glissa, the Traitor-type guy-got-turned Phyrexian-or-into-a-Zombie card. But since he’s already black, I decided to refocus on Equipment, and casting stuff without paying its mana cost. That seems very white-blue-black. The result is essentially an Equipment lord. Then, just as I was about to submit it, I decided to give it a Mirrodin/Esper feel. So I decided that he died, but was reanimated in Mirrodin's Core, half Dakkon, half metal. The CMC is the same, but I decided to make the mana symbols all Phyrexian.

Dakkon Reanimated

Legendary Artifact Creature-Warrior

Dakkon Reanimated is unblockable

Dakkon Reanimated’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of Equipments you control.

Whenever Dakkon Reanimated deals damage to a player, you may cast target Equipment card with converted mana cost X without paying its mana cost, where X is less than or equal to the amount of damage Dakkon dealt this turn

*/*

Not satisfied with Myr to rule over Mirrodin, Memnarch remolded the legend of the lands in Mirrodin's Core. The results were disturbing.

Interesting direction! I think this card makes you work more for what you get than I think one should. This doesn't lend to the 'elegance' of Dakkon Blackblade, however some would find the meandering text box and utter unblockability of an equipment-wielding monster like this to be exciting. Me? I'd rather just play Stonehewer Giant.

Grade: 5

Dakkon the Dead-Eyed

Legendary Creature-Human Warrior
Dakkon the Dead-Eyed's power and toughness are both equal to the number of cards exiled with Dakkon the Dead-Eyed

Whenever Dakkon the Dead-Eyed enters the battlefield or deals damage to a player, exile the top four cards of your library. You may cast cards exiled with Dakkon the Dead-Eyed without paying their mana cost.

Sacrifice two lands, : Dakkon the Dead-Eyed deals 1 damage to target player.

Dakkon the Dead-Eyed cannot attack or block.

The Blackblade shattered, and his servitude to Dihada was finished. In her parting gift, she gouged out his eyes, leaving him to wander Corondor for all of eternity.
*/*

This card has a lot going on in the text box, and it gets in the way of itself quite well. After reading and rereading the card, I think it fails in execution, despite it doing a bunch of stuff that is pretty zany. For instance, the first time you cast it, you essentially 'draw 4 cards'. Moreover, it beckons you to attack with it, yet it can't attack or block. My favorite part is the flavor text, but I wouldn't play this card just for that, even if the original Dakkon summons flavor to get worn out on his Magic side.

Grade: 2

Dakkon, Liege of the Moors

Dakkon, Liege of the Moors' power and thoughness is equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
Whenever you play Dakkon, Liege of the Moors, or it attacks, each player reveals cards from the top of their libraries until they reveal a land card, then put the revealed cards into their graveyards.
*/*

If there's a legend that deserves the 'Titan trigger' (i.e. an ETB & attack trigger that both do the same thing), it'd be Dakkon. He's lost weight in the mana cost, because his base stats start out at 1 per player. The fact that it invites you to do more with it is awesome, and I think this is one hell of an entry and a pretty complete package.

Grade: 9

Dakkon the Shadowslayer
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may any number of lands you control. ~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands exile this way. When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield.
Spells you cast cost less to cast.
The trail of dead left behind marked the day he became known by the blade he forged.
*/*

So this card has a huge problem in that spells which have their mana costs reduced by colored mana are reduced by that much colorless mana if the colored mana requirement cannot be used. This means that reducing spells by would reduce all single or double cost white, blue, and black spells by 6 mana, straight out. Mind's Desire would be free, as would most every spell you cast to power it. Add to that the selfmageddon thing I spoke about earlier (mitigated by a leavees-play trigger, but still) and, well, this specimen appears to be broken.

Grade: 3

Dakkon, Bearer of the Blackblade

Whenever ~ would deal lethal combat damage to a creature, exile it instead.
~ gets +X/+Y and all the abilities of cards exiled with it, where X is the total power and Y is the total toughness of cards exiled with it.

He wields a sword so destructive that it can split the very essence of it's victims. He shows no mercy.

6/6

Whlie Dark Impostor treads this ground, I feel like he'd be less confusing than ol' Dakkon here. The card stays pretty clean though, otherwise. vlord keeps the text box clean of other clutter and cruft. He also provides us with square-stats and an engaging flavor text. While I'm not sold on this version of him, the execution speaks well of it's creator's skill.

Grade: 6

Dakkon Halfheart, Bladewielder
When Dakkon Blackblade enters the battlefield each player loses a life for each land they control then returns each land they control to their owner's hands.
"I bring freedom to those enslaved by power."
5/5

I like this verison. It's a great conflux of a number of cards that harken to magic's past: Drain Life, Armageddon, and Upheaval. The box is clean yet conveys a lot of story shrouded behind his abilities, and is brought to a head with the best flavor text submitted this round. I still think that land denial could lead to feel-bad issues, but if there was a second place, it'd probably be this one.

The Blackblade
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a creature, exile it.
Equipped creature gets +4/-1 for each card exiled with ~.
Equip - Exile a creature you control

Screw #5

Oh, Mown...I'm just happy that you've come and created something awesome on my little stage. I mentioned before under GM_Champion's entry that I didn't explicitly say one had to create a legendary creature, it is in the spirit of the contest. I can't give you a grade, however I can say that I find the +4/-1 per exiled creature to be very flavorful for the weapon of Dakkon, and that I'd be happy to suit him up with the Blackblade and get to the knife work.

Grade: Strawberry-banana

Dakkon Fenblade
Whenever Dakkon Fenblade attacks, search your library for up to five Swamp cards and put them onto the battlefield under defending player’s control, then shuffle your library. For each land put onto the battlefield this way, its controller sacrifices a nonland permanent.
5/5

working prototype

Originally had it as any number of swamps, but decided instant death with polluted bonds or ankh of mishra was unhealthy. This version still interacts interestingly with lots of things without enabling the kinds of kills that make EDH players sad.

This is quite a spicy one! However, I think five is entirely too much. Three is already pushing it, even if they're random Path to Exiles. Still, this card mixes equal parts excitement and fear, and I think would be a fantastic Commander!

Dakkon of the Somnerswerd -- :WM::UM::BM:
Legendary Creature - Human Knight (R)

Hexproof
Whenever Dakkon of the Somnerswerd attacks or deals combat damage, tap target creature.
:WM::UM::BM:, unattach all equipment from Dakkon of the Somnerswerd: Tap each creature you don't control. Those creatures don't untap during their controller's untap steps. Activate this ability only if Dakkon of the Somnerswerd is equipped.

4 / 4

Altimis correctly identified the ONE problem I have with Dakkon. Problem is a harsh word: something I wish he was instead of what he is. What is that? A KNIGHT. [/] moe he olo of knh, noao. And hle ndeand Knhmple a hole ho of ohehnhh Dakkon poaly n' (fomally aned, anoned y a hhe poe, de a hoe), deam n my lle ond head ha he' aally a Knh. Ade fom ha, and a ool name, had a mey. do lke he 'aak and damae' e, nvn yoo eo e eah oma. do no lke he epmene... mean ha' he don? HONhe laklade? ha' hoead, even f hee an aal aeome eaon hy eveyhnap. Oveall a ood ad; eehan make ond.

/>

ade:

/>

/>

/>lokoe>Dakkon Mana-Lane [m]
5/5
The rift opened and Dakkon saw Esper yawning widely in front of it, and he decided that this was a world he could take.

Seeing this card makes me a bit sad. Dakkon could easily have been this. I mean, Vaevictis Asmadi was kinda this, right? And he's an ELDER DRAGON. I'm much happier they went with the land thing personally. Even if a 5-mana 5/5 with swampbreathing (?) is much hotter than the 8-mana 7/7 elder breather.

Whoo...that took longer than I thought...
thanks for doing that and thanks for the 9
Your restriction was illogical since among those ancient Legends characters, Dakkon Blackblade was one of the few who actually possessed the planeswalker's spark. It was just being true to the origins.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

-2] Prompt — Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one land type or color word with another.

changing the color of a spell won't work since Planes Walker activate only on ones turn . Probably not as a response.
I'm surprised no one did

Dakkon Ascended creature legend
: untap Dakkon
: +0/2 to end of turn.
: +1/0 to end of turn.
~Strength Mountains, Power Plains, Blood Islands
5/5

I'll take strawberry banana over a real grade any day.

Honestly though, I've never felt any affection towards Dakkon.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

However, there were a number of stellar entries, with Elzaban_the_Ethereal sitting this one out, it let the likes of FirstTurnKill shine through with a 10-pointer! Congrats, FTK!

Hmmm...is there a good way to keep his P/T effectively the same and still keep him on pie? Let's try something...

Dakkon, the Vindicator |
*/*

Yeees. I love this card. It's kinda griefer for my taste...but we're not making cards to please theScion, we're making cards to be awesome. And this fits the bill. It wasn't made 'strictly better', as it requires a particular basic land type. This card tells a story about how, as he goes on in life, he weakens destroying things. It's almost like the Blackblade takes its toll from his very soul. The progress of this card even hints at using his ability for wanton destruction first, then carefully as Dakkon's power wanes. The name and the flavor text are likewise awesome. They even kept the original type and mana cost! The one change I would make here is to make the activated ability cost line up with Vindicate, but that's a minor nitpick to a winner of a card.

Grade: 10

Wow, thanks!!  It was quite the challenge to figure out how to fit double- in mechanically while still addressing both and and still keeping his P/T mechanic.  I knew one was covered by the "choose a basic land type" mechanic, but it still didn't feel double-.  I actually changed the ability cost from an original version of , to the version you see, trading , for "Sacrifice a land of the chosen type."  I felt it made the card thoughtful enough to at least partially cover the other in his casting cost.  With a little brushing up on my Dakkon history, the flavor text practically wrote itself.  I'm glad you caught that the flavor text is both a reference to Dakkon's actual history (rather than doing some kind of re-imagining as I often do for these contests), and a reference to the progression of the card itself.  Vorthos and Melvin in one!

I didn't expect a 10 at all, though.  I suppose those are the best kinds!

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Thanks for the grade! I didn't win but I'm glad I did well. (My magic grammar is not usually that good. :P)
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck

You're actually still on the clock... cause you never graded mine the very first one!

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Dakkon Mana-Lancer

5/5

Seeing this card makes me a bit sad. Dakkon could easily have been this. I mean, Vaevictis Asmadi was kinda this, right? And he's an ELDER DRAGON. I'm much happier they went with the land thing personally. Even if a 5-mana 5/5 with swampbreathing (?) is much hotter than the 8-mana 7/7 elder breather.

And now, to grades:

Dakkon the Planeswalker Slayer :Wm::Um::Um::Bm:
: Tap all lands. Destroy target permanent with converting mana cost less than the number of untapped lands tapped this way. If a Planeswalker is destroyed this way, sacrifice three lands. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.

*/*

This is another interesting entry which tilts strongly towards Dakkon's backstory. While not a requirement, I do like it done here. I like the story told in the abilities; Dakkon is permanently marred when fighting planeswalkers. Nice card. However, this version is 'strictly better' than the original, which is something I do not like. The ability, also, is a beating. Tap it on upkeep and they lose their turn. What do you sacrifice, an attack step? Ethersworn Adjudicator is probably the closest Vindicate-on-a-stick that I'd be ok with. This guy is flat-out broken and unfun once he gets going. Digging in the right places, but you turned up a tin can.

Grade: 4

you probably misread my card...... it is not an unfun lock-down card, as the ability can only be activated in your own turn. It is at most a card that prevent counterspell and combat tricks. And since every opponent will respond to the ability by voluntarily tapping all their lands for playing instant (or just do nothing), the land count Dakkon can use to destroy permanents is probably restricted to the number of your OWN lands, which essentially means u need to tap out urself (probably a turn worth of mana) in order to destroy anything worthwhile... this is a balanced card intend to invite gameplay decision of either swing for big or skip ur turn to destroy sth big!

as for the mana cost and p/t, yes i make it strictly better coz... let's face it, the original Dakkon's ability really sucks... who will play a 3-color 6-cmc vanilla 6/6? I can easily weaken him by restricting his p/t setting to basic lands or even one type of basic land, but it doesn't make sense to weaken sth just for the sake of weakening it... at 3-color 6-cmc it either is awesome or sucks...
as for the mana cost and p/t, yes i make it strictly better coz... let's face it, the original Dakkon's ability really sucks... who will play a 3-color 6-cmc vanilla 6/6? I can easily weaken him by restricting his p/t setting to basic lands or even one type of basic land, but it doesn't make sense to weaken sth just for the sake of weakening it... at 3-color 6-cmc it either is awesome or sucks...

Rubblehulk indicates that even after more than 20 years, Dakkon's ability is still on curve for its CMC (for the colors it happens to be) from a power perspective.  Yes, it's likely that it would have an extra ability to offset the fact that it's 3 colors these days, but it wouldn't be much more than a one-shot, Bloodrush-level ability.

With 6 land it's a 6/6 for 6, but with 7 land it's a 7/7 for 6, with 8 land it's an 8/8 for 6.  It continues to scale.  Outside of color pie problems, it's still printable today at rare.  They have taken pains not to allow low casting costs for Dakkon's first ability without pretty serious offsets.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This

You're actually still on the clock... cause you never graded mine the very first one!

You did get graded. There is just a mistake in one of the [thingymajigs] ended an 'mc' tag with a 'c' and your grade and my grade got melded together... if you quote his grades and scroll down to the bottom you can find it.

Or you can give me a second.

EDIT: Silly vlord... beating me to it
Super ninja'd:

As mentioned at the start of the thread, this is quite a challenge. There's something very 'zen' about Dakkon and his abilities. The ultimate goal is to capture his mystique without cluttering the text box too much. As we see, this was easier said than done.

And now, to grades:

Dakkon Mana-Lancer

5/5

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

Rubblehulk indicates that even after more than 20 years, Dakkon's ability is still on curve for its CMC (for the colors it happens to be) from a power perspective.  Yes, it's likely that it would have an extra ability to offset the fact that it's 3 colors these days, but it wouldn't be much more than a one-shot, Bloodrush-level ability.

With 6 land it's a 6/6 for 6, but with 7 land it's a 7/7 for 6, with 8 land it's an 8/8 for 6.  It continues to scale.  Outside of color pie problems, it's still printable today at rare.  They have taken pains not to allow low casting costs for Dakkon's first ability without pretty serious offsets.

Rubblehulk is printable not because 6-cmc is on curve for the "land-count" ability, but because it can easily be bloodrushed to graveyard and get reanimated - I expect Jund to get a lot of flash blood with this... otherwise a 6-cmc vanilla with no evasion, no matter how "big" it is, is practically useless except in kitchen magic...

Rubblehulk is printable not because 6-cmc is on curve for the "land-count" ability, but because it can easily be bloodrushed to graveyard and get reanimated - I expect Jund to get a lot of flash blood with this... otherwise a 6-cmc vanilla with no evasion, no matter how "big" it is, is practically useless except in kitchen magic...

Not to mention it's incredible limited power.
Late game on turn ten or more...

I draw this... screw casting it, I'll attack with a trampler, pay three mana and give it an uncounterable +7/+7 or so.
Otherwise, I agree, a X/X without any abilities except to count lands is pretty unspectacular in competitive games. Dungrove Elder was good because of hexproof and it was cheaper; but mostly because of hexproof.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote: