Mounts in Next

Looking through the playtest packet for information on mounts (for the game I'm running), I see the Ride skill, and references to a "light warhorse" in the Knight background equipment package, but no actual price or other stats... there's a generic "horse" in the bestiary, but that's not much help if I don't know the cost or how it interacts with a rider.

Any insights?  Am I missing something?  Or should I just steal rules from some previous edition, like those in the d20 SRD?

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

Classic example of something that's been overlooked for months.  I've been wondering about mounts ever since I even noticed that lances were mount only.  I fear that maneuvers like push and trip against a mounted foe will be overlooked as well.  I'm certain mounted combat is an extremely low priority on their list, seeing as they can't agree on basic things like fighter mechanics yet.
You can certainly use rules from earlier versions for pieces that are missing for the time being.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Classic example of something that's been overlooked for months.  I've been wondering about mounts ever since I even noticed that lances were mount only.  I fear that maneuvers like push and trip against a mounted foe will be overlooked as well.  I'm certain mounted combat is an extremely low priority on their list, seeing as they can't agree on basic things like fighter mechanics yet.

I'm honestly just thinking about simple transportation, I'm not even worried about mounted combat at this stage; it's a moot point if my players can't even purchase mounts. 

We appear to have some of the trappings of mounted combat, but no actual mounts.

You can certainly use rules from earlier versions for pieces that are missing for the time being.

Yeah, it seems I'll have to do that, as much as I'd prefer to stick to the actual playtest.  It's weird and annoying that they went to the trouble to stat out horses in the bestiary but couldn't be bothered even to do so little as slap a price on one.  That would have served my purposes well enough.

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

D20srd would be a good reference. The price scale on general goods hasn't changed much between 3.5 and the playtest.
Sign In to post comments