Greenside Watcher
Creature - Elf Druid (C)
: Untap target Gate.
"The Izzet may incite war, but my duty is here. I will not abandon the wild."
2/1   

Greenside Watcher

Discuss  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Greenside Watcher
Creature - Elf Druid (C)
2/1   

Greenside Watcher

Discuss  

Meh, why not? It can attack if necessary. You just need to play a lot of gates... a lot. (I guess that's "why not") 
Greenside Watcher
Creature - Elf Druid (C)
2/1   

Greenside Watcher

Discuss  

Meh, why not? It can attack if necessary. You just need to play a lot of gates... a lot. (I guess that's "why not") 

Then again, i play Gates in Constructed, but only 4. So this has a low chance of working.
OMG, on turn 3 I could play a gate and have it untapped and........profit!!!!!
I like that they're making more use og the gate keyword, however this guy seems meh to me... Besides how many gates do people play with anyway? seriously? in limited, 1-3. outside limited 0-4. Chances are you're not going to be able to use his ability...

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

This is alright.
Eh, its okay but it wont last long once the Gates goes out of fashion.

Ahh...GILBIC.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sure, he's not constructed playable but I can see myself picking this guy somewhat highly in my 5-color durdle decks I'll end up drafting more than I should in RTR/GTC/DMZ. He's great if you can play a gate turn 1, this guy turn 2, and the 3-mana fertile ground enchantment turn 3 on your gate. You get to untap and play a 2-drop that turn, and the next turn you'll have 7 mana at your disposal (2 of which is any-colored) to play almost any card in the set with ;). 
Somehow I would have liked him more if he were the standard 1 cmc mana dork. 

As he is, eh.  I would have preferred a straight bear.
Somehow I would have liked him more if he were the standard 1 cmc mana dork. 

As he is, eh.  I would have preferred a straight bear.

Really? I'd almost always play this over a 2/2 w/no abilities in my limited decks, even if I only had a single gate. The potential upside of ramping and/or fixing your colors (which will often decide a game) outweighs the times in which the extra 1 point of toughness matters, imo. There's also the silliness that can happen when you combine him with land enchantments or cards that trigger from tapping gates (gate shade).
I'm not getting behind this gate subtheme at all.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I'm not getting behind this gate subtheme at all.

I strongly agree.  They haven't printed a single card that inclines me to consider running gates in a Constructed deck.  Even Gateway Shade, that's just a Looming Shade with an additional ability, feels bad, and I'd prefer to run the Looming Shade if I were to use either just because the new one has a stupid ability on it.  What we really needed was a 1-cost enchantment or a land that says, "You may have Gates enter the battlefield untapped." And even then, it's questionable if that would work in Constructed.  Maybe a Leyline with that ability would work, though.  But then it'd require a cycle.  Frankly, Gates are just Limited material (and good pauper duals).  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I would have prefered that he caused Gate cards to come into play untapped.... or give us an artifact that does it.  That would have been a nice effect to staple onto Tablet of the Guilds.
Sign In to post comments