[GTC-ICD] Razortip Whip

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Razortip Whip
Artifact (C)
, : ~ deals 1 damage to target opponent.
"It no longer surprises me what shows up in our raid of a Rakdos revue." - Janik Bara, Wojek Captain

Razortip Whip

Discuss  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
That's one bad Curse of the Pierced Heart, which was already bad.
Awkward art. You'd have to have your head shoved into the dirt to get that perspective.
I'd rather have scepter of empires, which is it to say, I don't care much for this card.
Its ok...

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

This is for Orzhov, it's like an Extort, that doesn't gain you life, but you don't need to cast spells. Death of a Thousand Cuts FTW
Blah
Bleeeh.
This is for Orzhov, it's like an Extort, that doesn't gain you life, but you don't need to cast spells. Death of a Thousand Cuts FTW

You can only do 1 dmg per turn without gaining life. If you're into orzhov, there's no reason you'd want this.
Worthless. Might've been playable in Guildpact, what with bloodthirst and all. Here? Not so much.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
It's a clock and a mana sink.
You could do worse. 
I have a sneaking suspicion that this card was specifically created as an enabler for Rakdos, Lord of Riots.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
The correct mana cost for this artifact is Zero, not Two.
The definition of unplayable.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I have a sneaking suspicion that this card was specifically created as an enabler for Rakdos, Lord of Riots.

Yeah. First thing I thought before I saw this (besides "loljank") was that it was probably a reject from when paincast was being considered a mechanic.

That aside, are there any cards that are more or less strictly better than this? If not, it's an okay enabler to ensure your opponent takes at least 1 damage every turn, if you need to do that for whatever reason.

EDIT: Enabler for Viskopa Guildmage + 5CMC enchant combo. Play this turn 2-4, enchant on T5,  T6: guildmage + activate combo ability and then whip ability for win. I tried.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
There are worse things you could be doing with 1 mana.  I'd take it in a weak deck.
The correct mana cost for this artifact is Zero, not Two.

0, and cantrip, and I might play it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
In Dragons Maze limited it might work alright with Rix Maadi Guildmage.

Cheers
It seems like in limited it could be a decent enough filler as a 1-of.  A clock is a clock, and it helps with board stalls a bit by ensuring damage gets through.  Decent filler at least.  Not first pickable, and I'd probably really want something else most of the time, but in a particularly weak pack that is in the mid-pick stage I'd take it, and wouldn't be absolutely upset to include it as the 23rd card (Maybe closer to 21st or 22nd).  THere is a lot worse you could be doing with an artifact every turn.
It's not great but I'd take it late in a draft.

This would have been better in RTR definitely although it seems Gatecrash got a few cards like that (the Knight token card being another). Possibly this was on purpose? Is there an Azorius fit Gatecrash card?
It seems like in limited it could be a decent enough filler as a 1-of.  A clock is a clock, and it helps with board stalls a bit by ensuring damage gets through.  Decent filler at least.  Not first pickable, and I'd probably really want something else most of the time, but in a particularly weak pack that is in the mid-pick stage I'd take it, and wouldn't be absolutely upset to include it as the 23rd card (Maybe closer to 21st or 22nd).  THere is a lot worse you could be doing with an artifact every turn.

the analogue of tablet of the guilds. ideally useful, in practice useless.
This card was surprisingly amazing in Orzhov decks. I ended up siding in my second one, and matches that went to the late game, I won, and this definitely sped that up. I was impressed by how often it actually came in handy.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Someone dropped three of these against me at the prerelease. It wins on clogged boards.
Rules Advisor

the analogue of tablet of the guilds. ideally useful, in practice useless.

Which has been true since the days of Ivory Cup and friends.

On-topic, Razortip Whip would be useful...if bloodthirst were a mechanic in RTR.
139359831 wrote:
On-topic, Razortip Whip would be useful...if bloodthirst were a mechanic in RTR.

Between Rakdos, Lord of Riots and Rix Maadi Guildmage, I could see some value in sneaking this into a Rakdos deck in block constructed.

Not much, but some.
Opened 3 of those at the pre-release. I was MAD.

Between Rakdos, Lord of Riots and Rix Maadi Guildmage, I could see some value in sneaking this into a Rakdos deck in block constructed.

Not much, but some.

Okay, it's not the One with Nothing of the set. But it is definitely the Eager Cadet of the set.
139359831 wrote:
Power creep.

Honestly, if you're still running Telim'tor's Darts somewhere, maybe it's time for an upgrade.
Power creep.

There was already a strictly better card than that.
This card is ok in limited.

Dragon Maze this card will be a good include for Rakdos.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I had one in my pool of cards for prerelease... now that I think about it, I should have tossed it in the deck.  I was a few points from victory in each game I lost.
Honestly, if you're still running Telim'tor's Darts somewhere, maybe it's time for an upgrade.

But people only laugh at the Darts once, and we got that out of the way a long time ago. With the Whip they can start laughing again, as often as they like.

But people only laugh at the Darts once, and we got that out of the way a long time ago. With the Whip they can start laughing again, as often as they like.

There's still that "Telim'tor" is an anagram for "Mr. Toilet", though.
139359831 wrote:
Wait, this card doesn't work with my Simulacrum - Fungusaur combo! It's not power creep.