[GTC-ICD] Millennial Gargoyle

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Millennial Gargoyle
Artifact Creature - Gargoyle (C)
Flying
"You've got to keep your wits about you on the roofs. Not all the stones are compliant handholds." - Iveta, rooftop runner
2/2

Millennial Gargoyle

Discuss  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
no I refuse
wtf is this?

Failsafe so that gruul won't do flying bloodrush in limited? 
Woo! Another gargoyle for my Gargoyle EDH deck! I suspect I'll be the only person who was genuinely happy to see this card...
I, too, am genuinely happy. Dopamine floods my cells. My lips stretch to reveal my canines. My heart rate increases. My physical elation exists in this reality.
It kills storm crow!
I was expecting something so much better.
"My Primal Clay suffered premature coagulation, plz hlp"
--Iveta, rooftop runner
Bad card is bad. I'd rather play with good card.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Blahdiblah.

The ability for any color to have a flyer on the board is not that bad in limited really.  Doesn't have a great body, but  still evasive is evasive.  And without color commitment to boot.

I think Gruul and Dimir will both get use out of it.  Gruul for Bloodrush and Dimir for more evasive stuff.  Its not awful for the limited environment. 
This is a decent card for limited, though sadly strictly worse than primeval clay (they could have made it a 2/3 and it still would have a worse rate than blue and white fliers as intended). For some reason I really like that art, in fact I like the art in this set quite a bit more than RTR. Anyone feel the same way?

The ability for any color to have a flyer on the board is not that bad in limited really.  Doesn't have a great body, but  still evasive is evasive.  And without color commitment to boot.

I think Gruul and Dimir will both get use out of it.  Gruul for Bloodrush and Dimir for more evasive stuff.  Its not awful for the limited environment. 

Dimir has unblockable creatures AND blue fliers, plus the black imp. Why would they play this?
Well that's fairly awful.
solid early pick in draft
Lumengrid Gargoyle's little brother.

Dimir has unblockable creatures AND blue fliers, plus the black imp. Why would they play this?

hes probably talking about boros or gruul, i doubt that any blue aligned guild would ever want to use this piece of crap, although bloodrushing it might be fun...
Why do I love this card? 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
hovermyr is -1/-0, and has vigilance for less mana. no thank you, i'll pass on the gargoyle

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
hovermyr is -1/-0, and has vigilance for less mana. no thank you, i'll pass on the gargoyle

Hovermyr master race reporting in.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Terrible I won't be happy if this card makes my limited decks.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Terrible I won't be happy if this card makes my limited decks.

From reading your posts, I can say, with confidence, that you won't be happy to play your card pool. You said you hated most of these cards. So... what's the difference? Why are you playing at all?
I am Blue/Black

Hovermyr master race reporting in.

Is Hovermyr the new Crow?

Actually, that was exactly what I was thinking of. A 2/4 or even 2/3 flyer for would be playable.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
You guys are spoiled.
This is a common, colorless enabler for both cipher and bloodrush. 
No be quiet ht, I'm the one to say they are spoiled. Also, stop responding to rorix guys, he's as bad as that certain person in ymtc who's initials are bm. Also gmc... Lol
I know, It's just difficult when every thread update is him sayin "this blows."
I am Blue/Black

Failsafe in sealed to ensure you have something on the board that is evasive?  The more evasive creatures you can get, the better.  This is definitely not a first option for Dimir, but it is a decent enough filler if absolutely need be and you are low on the flyers.  Which can happen, even if there are a decent amount in U/B. 
You guys are spoiled.

That's my thinking.  Evasion is huge in limited, and one without color-commitment is great.  Gruul will have great use out of this in the late game, and Dimir could use it as another way to get damage through if need be.   Simic could do better, but at the same time an extra flyer isn't bad.  Boros may want it as a means to get the last bit of damage through once the board has stabalized and stalled out.  Orzhov has better options admittedly in the common slot (A flying 2/2 Extorters for less), and it doesn't really help to much with the game-plan.

Granted it has its place in some guilds more than others.  In some guilds it's probably not worth the consideration (Simic and Orzhov), while in others it can either be extremely useful (Gruul) or a nice addition (Dimir) if need-be, and perhaps somewhat useful to finish the game (Boros). 

And of course we're ignoring the aspect that its a bloody flyer without color commitment in a limited environment where 3 color decks are not uncommon, and 4-color not unheard of.  At common, to boot.  What more do people want?  A 2/2 flyer for would be well ahead of the curve, and a 2/4 flyer would just be a crippling wall and stall the board out even further.  It's fine as it is, as it's not terribly overcosted for what it is. 

It's not ZOMG dah bomb, but it is more than just decent filler.  Unless people are just used to beating-face and whoever has the biggest face-beater win, in which case they have never had to see how absolutely annoying a single evasive creature can be.
I'd be okay with drafting this.
Agreed.  Not my first or second pick....but if I can pick him up on p6 or later, I wouldn't be mad.  
You guys are spoiled.

Yeah, but most of the time, I'd prefer another +1/+1 over flying. Hill Giant says hi.
139359831 wrote:
Manor Gargoyle is sad.
No gargoyle tribal.

Primal Clay is laughing for it's lack of adaptability, at THAT COST! 

Is it just me, or do artifact creatures need to pay 1 more mana for being artifact, then one more for each effect?

Would it really hurt that much to give it SOMETHING?
A small bone?
Even at common, like -- in Manor Gargoyle's theme:
This not so helpless critter is indestructible until end of turn??
Wow. It takes a thousand years for a gargoyle to be 2/2......and it still costs 4.
Is it just me, or do artifact creatures need to pay 1 more mana for being artifact, then one more for each effect?

It's a common, colorless flier, which is a big enabler for a lot of the set's mechanics. It's gonna be a couple mana overpriced for constructed to make it fill the role it's needed for in limited.
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Broken card. Needs to be banned as soon as possible.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)