Dimir Zombiemill Post Gatecrash (Spoiler Alert!)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Below is the spoiler for Gatecrash @ MTGsalvation.com. 

Here's the decklist:

Creature 16
x4 Gravecrawler
x4 Duskmantle Guildmage
x4 Geralf's Messenger
x4 Undead Alchemist

Instant 16
x4 Gridlock
x4 Ultimate Price
x4 Spell Rupture
x4 Killing Glare

Artifact 2
x2 Sands of Delirium

Plainswalker 3
x3 Jace, Memory Adept

Land 23
x4 Watery Grave
x4 Drowned Catacomb
x3 Dimir Guildgate
x6 Swamp
x6 Island

Spoilers:

Duskmatle Guildmage
Show

UB
Creature Human Wizard Uncommon
1UB: Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere this turn, that player loses 1 life.
2UB:Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Gridlock
Show

XU
Instant
Uncommon
Tap X target nonland permanents

Spell Rupture
Show

1U
Instant
Counter target spell unless its controller pay X, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.

Killing Glare
Show

XB
Instant
Destroy target creature with power X or less.

Watery Grave
Show

Land - Island Swamp
Rare
(T: Add U or B to your mana pool)
As Wagery Grave enters the Battlefield, you may pay 2 life.  If you don't, Watery Grave enters the battlefield tapped.

Dimir Guildgate
Show

Land - Gate
Common
Dimir Guildgate enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U or B to your manapool.

There are a couple of win conditions here:

1. Mill out the library with zombies, Jace, Memory Adept, or Sands of Dilirium.
2. Millkill with Duskmantle Guildmage via Jace, Memory Adept, Zombies, or Sands of Dilirium.

Thoughts?  Oh how do I put mana symbols in a post?
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Thoughts?

Bloodthrone Vampire might work nicely with Spell Rupture.

Oh how do I put mana symbols in a post?

With the [mc] and [/mc] tags. For example, [mc]1ub[/mc] becomes .

Thoughts?

Bloodthrone Vampire might work nicely with Spell Rupture.

Could be good with Gravecrawler.

Oh how do I put mana symbols in a post?

With the [mc] and [/mc] tags. For example, [mc]1ub[/mc] becomes .

Aparently it doesn't work inside spoiler boxes.

casting Gravecrawler from the graveyard can proc Consuming Aberration, just saying ^^
casting Gravecrawler from the graveyard can proc Consuming Aberration, just saying ^^

That seems REALLY good.  Might motivate me to play a 2 of in the deck with a Rogues passage.

Bump, looking for some discussion.

I really like this deck. U/B mill always appealed to me and I'm looking for ideas to build a Dimir deck. That said, I'd lose Killing Glare for Death Wind. Same cost for something that does more or less the same thing, except that Death Wind will take out indistructable creatures like Falkenrath Aristocrat, Predator Ooze and so on.

Edit: and btw you can put mana symbols in a post like this, : u : without the spaces is
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
I'm curious about the 2 obvious ones your missing?  Consuming Abberation and Mind Tap?  Both of those seem like excellent mill cards.  Just curious why you didn't add them?
I'm curious about the 2 obvious ones your missing?  Consuming Abberation and Mind Tap?  Both of those seem like excellent mill cards.  Just curious why you didn't add them?

I wanted intants for protecting zombies/board control and Jace the idea is to use creatures to mill rather than instants.

I may cut sands of delirium for a draw mechanic and considering rogue's passage.

The Aberration is badass, don't get me wrong, but I'm worried it might make the mana curve a tad to high with all the :X: costs in this deck.

I personally am not a fan of the Sands but have never run them in a deck like this.  The CMC seems a little high with no ramp.  Do you see that being a problem or no?  And I definitely like Rogue's Passage in here.  I'm not sure if Geralf will do you much good in the deck either?  I feel like he is only good if you have the Alchemist out there.  And if you get him out there you really won't need Geralf cause the Alchemist will pretty much win you the game without him.

Chronic Flooding may be a good idea too. Aim for shock lands or Cavern of Souls with it. 
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
Wight of Precinct Six would love a slot. Also duress and other discard cards should be in there to remove threats.
I am really likeing this deck. I have been looking for ideas on making a viable standard mill deck. This seemed like the set to do it. I only lack the crawlers, they are so hard to attain in my meta.

I agree Deathwind may just be the better choice same card and gets past the indestructables.  
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
UPDATE: For those of you interested in this type of deck.

Alright after play testing this deck with proxies (I have over 90% of the cards already) over the past week or so this is the build that seems to work best:

Creature 16
x4 Gravecrawler
x4 Duskmantle Guildmage
x4 Geralf's Messenger
x4 Undead Alchemist

Sorcery 7
x4 Sever the Bloodline
x3 Duress

Instant 11
x3 Dimir Charm
x4 Ultimate Price
x4 Spell Rupture

Plainswalker 3
x3 Jace, Memory Adept

Land 23
x4 Watery Grave
x4 Drowned Catacomb
x3 Dimir Guildgate
x5 Swamp
x5 Island
x2 Cavern of Souls

It does exceedingly well against control decks but to my (pleasant) surprise it does very well against RDW and the G/R aggro decks.  I've not the foggiest for a sideboard yet but the deck is very fluid and has great synergy.  It is a lot of fun to play as well.  The look on your opponents face when they mill 8 creatures and you're putting zombie tokens on the field is priceless.

I tried the Consuming Aberration and he just felt clunky.

I tried Phylactery Lich and Sands of Delirium but that also felt clunky.  It might feel better with a CMC 1 or 2 artifact though.  Should try that.  Because a 5/5 for 3 and indestructible seems really good.

Sign In to post comments