Give us our World of Grethawk back

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since WotC is reprinting many of the older books and adventures what would be so difficult for them to give us a complete World of Greyhawk campaign setting pdf or print version? Unless they lost the rights to these items(

Sure as heck not going to pay the list price on this one but I am sure WotC could make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ , for that is what they seem to care the most about,  on pdf or print versions of Greyhawk.  www.amazon.com/World-Greyhawk-Advanced-D...

Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!!! I am a huge fan and would definitely buy reprints. In fact I really have high hopes that GH will be supported in Next. I took the mention of The Scarlet Brotherhood as the model of LE monks in the current play test rules as a very promising sign. I love the Realms, but hope that GH will be as actively supported in the Next generation.

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." --Gary Gygax
I love Greyhawk, Now that said: I do not trust WOTC with Gary's world after what they did to the Forgotten Realms. I'm concerned they will botch another History and Cosmotology. If they did re release Oerth I'd have to demand that they leave it as it was in AD&D. It doesn't need to be New to be Good and it doesn't have to get mutilated to be interesting. My advice leave it as it was, that's why we fans love Greyhawk.
Definitely onboard for a Greyhawk return!
I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have played basic, 1E, 2E, 3.5, & 4E, and found all to be fun. IF IT'S D&D, I'LL PLAY IT, NO MATTER THE EDITION. Just roll some dice.
I love Greyhawk, Now that said: I do not trust WOTC with Gary's world after what they did to the Forgotten Realms. I'm concerned they will botch another History and Cosmotology. If they did re release Oerth I'd have to demand that they leave it as it was in AD&D. It doesn't need to be New to be Good and it doesn't have to get mutilated to be interesting. My advice leave it as it was, that's why we fans love Greyhawk.

I agree. If they reprint it than JUST reprint it. We do not need the Pathfinder look added to World of Greyhawk.
Example of great old school art... images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt...

Do not add or make changes using the PATHFINDER art theme... images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt...

OLD SCHOOL ALL THE WAY....

Below is an example of fantasy art that is NOT PATHFINDER crap but has great rendering and a story...

That art I like. The Playtest concept art, is for lack of a better word- Caca, with peanuts. I do not mean Charlie Brown.
Here is some old school style art...love the GREYHAWK map!

Bits of Greyhawk are now back!

www.dndclassics.com/index.php?filters=0_...

And there's more to return soon.

If WoTC do revist Greyhawk for D&D Next then I hope they keep it true to the setting we know and love rather than the approach they have taken with FR over the years.
I'm game for innovation and creativity- revamp, update and bring Greyhawk to the 21st century!

Better yet- just let Greyhawk lie in dust where it belongs- in the past.
I've removed content from this thread. Baiting/Trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite and on topic and refrain from making personal attacks.  
I'm game for innovation and creativity- revamp, update and bring Greyhawk to the 21st century! Better yet- just let Greyhawk lie in dust where it belongs- in the past.

Greyhawk is VERY innovative and creative! There is no need to revamp it of make changes to it. With the release of the older 1e stuff what better to release than the World of Greyhawk?  The art, adventures, npcs, terrain, gods....all great!

Much better than Pathfinder art. Look at this ugly example of Pathfinder art work: Look below:

I, and many others, prefer WotC keep the old...new again. Great old school art==== BELOW:

MrH.,

I agree with you about Greyhawk and the aweful artwork produced by Pathfinder.  I currently use a combination of Pathfinder and D&D because I think their is value to be found in each.  But as for Pathfinder's artwork (and mini's), I'll stick with D&D and the old school art.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

nerdworld.blog.com
I'm game for innovation and creativity- revamp, update and bring Greyhawk to the 21st century!

I agree with this part of your postLaughing. I'm a huge Greyhawk fan, but you gotta have progress.
I would gladly pay $60+ for a re-release of the boxed set IF it had the original "Darlene" maps in it. Mine are so old I can't fold/unfold them to much more as the creases are tearing slightly. 

Please make this happen, bring back the majesty of the Darlene maps and Greyhawk in general. 
I would gladly pay $60+ for a re-release of the boxed set IF it had the original "Darlene" maps in it. Mine are so old I can't fold/unfold them to much more as the creases are tearing slightly. 

Please make this happen, bring back the majesty of the Darlene maps and Greyhawk in general. 

Amen. I'd pay decent money just for new copies of those maps, even without the rest of the box.
I am definitely on board with the fact that the over-the-top anime/FF style art is awful. Seriously, how does she swing a blade like that?
I prefer 2nd Edition AD&D. But I have played basic, 1E, 2E, 3.5, & 4E, and found all to be fun. IF IT'S D&D, I'LL PLAY IT, NO MATTER THE EDITION. Just roll some dice.
Seriously, how does she swing a blade like that?

In both hands and with difficulty, but she does it because she claimed that large bastard sword as a trophy from a giant.

...at least, that is the case if you follow the rules of Pathfinder and read that iconic character's back-story.
Careful, man. That much logic might be illegal on the internet. - Salla

Amen. I'd pay decent money just for new copies of those maps, even without the rest of the box.

I would pay $100 dollars if they took the Darlene maps and...wait for it....printed it on a high-quality (emphasis there) roll out map that you could use water markers on.

I'm a big Greyhawk fan (and have been for thirty years) but I love the Pathfinder (and much of the 4E) art. The black and white drawings were a product of their time and served a purpose at the time but I would rather see cinematic colour art these days any day of the week. My particular favourite in terms of art, though, is the picture with stories woven in.

In particular, there is a relatively recent Dungeon or Dragon cover for an Oriental-themed issue that is colour with an oriental lord standing on a veranda over a lake littered with paper boats lit with candles (as I recall) with an assassin / ninja on the roof presumably waiting to kill him. That is a masterpiece that depicts a pregnant moment waiting to explode into action. I never saw that with old-school art.

As to the title of this thread - hell yeah, bring back Greyhawk! 
Just reprint the Darlene maps on a rollable mat that you put in a tube, include the starting books from the starter set and release this. Come on WotC, that's an easy $100 or more right there. I have already set a small pile of money aside with your name on it. Make this happen. The strength of Greyhawk, even with all the canon out there is that it has always been open (GH Wars notwithstanding) with plenty of storylines, potential developments, mysterious places, all there for the enterprising DM.

If they broguht it back and picked up where the "Living Greyhawk" campaign left off or a tme period not to terribly long after the "Greyhawk Wars", I would be game for it. Or better yet a PREQUEL setting when Vecna wasan Evil wizard trying to become a LICH; or before the SEA of ASH or before the Great Devastation. I would love to see that. They were going to release mod for 4th"Battle of emridy Meadows". But I guess it got cancelled or push back
Wizards of the Coast has announced reprint in late 2013 for Rule Cyclopedia and Wold of Greyhawk 

community.wizards.com/1383..

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Wizards of the Coast has announced reprint in late 2013 for Rule Cyclopedia and Wold of Greyhawk 

community.wizards.com/1383..

Awesome April Fools prankSmile

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I would pay good money for a rollable large Darlene map. If Wizards reprints Greyhawk for D&D Next then they will update it. The Living Greyhawk Gazzetter is a good example of how they could reprint it without causing chaos. I have materials for Greyhawk so I am good. But if they print it I would buy it.
I would pay good money for a rollable large Darlene map. If Wizards reprints Greyhawk for D&D Next then they will update it. The Living Greyhawk Gazzetter is a good example of how they could reprint it without causing chaos. I have materials for Greyhawk so I am good. But if they print it I would buy it.

I would also.
I would love to see the Greyhawk Setting reintroduced as a full campaign setting with expansions for D&D Next. 

I would really love it if the setting was not reinvented, but rather revisited.  Source material should be set around 579CY and before 585CY and the Greyhawk Wars.  I would spend some serious money on Greyhawk stuff if it were updated for D&D Next without ruining it with changing too much.  There's no need to change it, just flesh it out more.  Give us more on Theocracy of the Pale, Keoland, Verbobonc, Celene and the Scarlet Brotherhood.  More on the Bandit Kingdoms and the Iuz Empire.

I would even go as far as give us a Miniature Boardgame akin to the old Milton Bradley Advanced Heroquest, but set it in the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, with random tilesets for endless adventure.  It would be a brilliant starter set for young players.
I would love to see the Greyhawk Setting reintroduced as a full campaign setting with expansions for D&D Next. 

I would really love it if the setting was not reinvented, but rather revisited.  Source material should be set around 579CY and before 585CY and the Greyhawk Wars.  I would spend some serious money on Greyhawk stuff if it were updated for D&D Next without ruining it with changing too much.  There's no need to change it, just flesh it out more.  Give us more on Theocracy of the Pale, Keoland, Verbobonc, Celene and the Scarlet Brotherhood.  More on the Bandit Kingdoms and the Iuz Empire.

I would even go as far as give us a Miniature Boardgame akin to the old Milton Bradley Advanced Heroquest, but set it in the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, with random tilesets for endless adventure.  It would be a brilliant starter set for young players.

Elth, not sure if you know about this site but for all things Greyhawk (regardless of which edition you play), www.canonfire.com really is one of the best.