Which new class is going to be released at Winter Fantasy?

Anyone want to hazard a guess at which new class is being released at Winter Fantasy in just 3 days from now?

My hope is that it will be the Ranger.
I really hope it's the bard, but the most likely candidate is the paladin. It might be the ranger or druid, though.
If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the paladin.
Originally they said Psionics were going to be a part of the core so it doesn't feel like an extension, in order for them to do this they will need to playtest Psionics, I susggest they put Psionics in as early as possible with atleas one class so they can get testing done on that system as well. I suggest it be the Psion, however it will not be it will be the Paladin or Ranger as mentioned, which are classes that will be created, but since we are testings systems, they should focus on a getting the last system in and satrt testing that, then retooling systems that are already in.
I figure it's the bard as well.  Perhaps it'll be a plot twist and with sub-class and customization; druid, bard, ranger, paladin will be available as builds.  I can't say.  I'm doubting that psions will be available from the get go.  Best to let psion stay with other psionic builds to promote enough psychic powered options at the same time.  But, psionics as soon as possible would be nice!  (I want to run Dark Sun )

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

 

 

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

  • KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
They stated in an earlier post that once the core classes were ready, they would release more classes for us to playtest.  If this is indeed a new class for us to playtest, the core classes must be finished.

As I have said in other posts before, considering the fact that the new base setting for D&D Next is FR, it would be advisable for the Ranger to be released for playtesting.  Having an FR setting without Drizzt is like having Lord of the Rings without Aragorn.
I bet 10,000gp and +3 ring of protection on the paladin. 
I bet 10,000gp and +3 ring of protection on the paladin. 



put me down for paladin as well.
The Paladin would the easiest to release now as the fighter and cleric contain 75% of its mechanics. The Barbarian would be the next easiest release.

The bard, druid, or warlord would be smart to release soon as they would require the most work to create.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Originally they said Psionics were going to be a part of the core so it doesn't feel like an extension, in order for them to do this they will need to playtest Psionics, I susggest they put Psionics in as early as possible with atleas one class so they can get testing done on that system as well. I suggest it be the Psion, however it will not be it will be the Paladin or Ranger as mentioned, which are classes that will be created, but since we are testings systems, they should focus on a getting the last system in and satrt testing that, then retooling systems that are already in.



Psionics, oh I so hope they don't make this core.  Or if they do there is a definate way around it.
As much as I love playing the Paladin, I find it hard to see how (as one example) the Cleric "Protector" deity build is not already a Paladin.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

They stated in an earlier post that once the core classes were ready, they would release more classes for us to playtest.  If this is indeed a new class for us to playtest, the core classes must be finished.

As I have said in other posts before, considering the fact that the new base setting for D&D Next is FR, it would be advisable for the Ranger to be released for playtesting.  Having an FR setting without Drizzt is like having Lord of the Rings without Aragorn.



They didn't say it would be the base setting for D&D. It will just be the first setting released. 4e did the same thing. It released FR shortly after launch.
As much as I love playing the Paladin, I find it hard to see how (as one example) the Cleric "Protector" deity build is not already a Paladin.

Actually I see it as very clear in the Next rules. The fighter's damage and defense are so high now that even melee clerics can't do much more then act as blockers when not casting spells. A Paladin with a bit fewer manuver dice, but some divine powers based on type, fills an obvious posistion for a melee divine character. Make his powers daily/encounter so they contrast with manuvers and it would play differently even if they covered a lot of the same concept range.

My guess would be either the renamed Sorcerrer that got dropped from the playtest, Warlock or Barbarian. Sorcerrer because most of it would already exist and Warlock because it could be about as mechanically simple as a class could be. Warlock just needs a decent at-will energy blast and some other options pasted on and your done. Depending on how they write up rage, Barbarian could be dead simple also, a few manuver dice and a per day ability to boost damage at the expense of defenses.

There are a few other classes that they must have looked at by now. Ranger, Warlord and Bard all would have to at least be in the development stage. These will probably raise huge issues in the design phase because there is so much possible material, concepts and mechanics for the classes that need rationalized into a design that works in Next. They need to be get into the playtest soon but they are not the type I expect to see as a publicty release at an event because they are sure to generate arguments over which features the class needs and how to implement them.


Psionics, oh I so hope they don't make this core.  Or if they do there is a definate way around it.


I disagree. Any form of magic, inlcluding Psionics, always feels anscilliary when added later in the game,a nd since Psionics is something they said will be included fromt he onset they should not back down from this. That being said, I haven't seen very much modularity in the new system yet either, and Psionics is a perfect example of something that should be a module (actually all magic should be, but it seems Flavor is forcing it's way into the system, which is limiting them, but that is for another post.)

They stated in an earlier post that once the core classes were ready, they would release more classes for us to playtest.  If this is indeed a new class for us to playtest, the core classes must be finished.

As I have said in other posts before, considering the fact that the new base setting for D&D Next is FR, it would be advisable for the Ranger to be released for playtesting.  Having an FR setting without Drizzt is like having Lord of the Rings without Aragorn.



They didn't say it would be the base setting for D&D. It will just be the first setting released. 4e did the same thing. It released FR shortly after launch.

 
When they first started announcing DDN, they ssaid that classes that showed int he original core books from previous editions will be included at realese, so in essence, both Ranger and Paladin have to show up due to the fact they were in 3rd edition.
Psionics, oh I so hope they don't make this core.  Or if they do there is a definate way around it.


Way around? 

Expanded Psionics Handbook was one of the more solid books to come out for 3.5, although I hear some other editions were.... problematic. 

Thematically, I don't think it's something that should be shoe-horned everywhere; however, if the core books have a set of optional modules, it might very well go there. Illithid are a bit silly WITHOUT psionics. 

Oh, pet peeve: in 3.x Wizards had WAY too many spells which duplicated psionics.

Commoner!
I'll go with the underdog "Gadgeteer" (or similarly named class)
Psion would be great!!!

But it will probably not be the Ranger, because they'd want to make the Druid first, just as the Paladin first requires the Fighter and Cleric. So the Paladin is a possibility.

Maybe the Bard, though, because it's different enough from every other class that they'll need to test it against the core, if they want to do it justice.
The last Google hangout had Mearls saying that classes that are similar to core classes are the harder ones to get right. This tells me that it is not likely to be the Paladin or Ranger, as they are too close to core classes. I'm voting for Bard or Warlord, as they only contain minor elements of core classes, much like the Monk.
Commoner!



I'm hoping for Aristocrat or Scribe, myself.
The last Google hangout had Mearls saying that classes that are similar to core classes are the harder ones to get right. This tells me that it is not likely to be the Paladin or Ranger, as they are too close to core classes.



Exactly.

My guess is either the revamped gish class based on the mechanics of the draconic sorcerer or the warlock. We've already seen them, and it might be useful to test out how they've been adapted based on earlier feedback. But I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another "healer"/"leader" class, like maybe the bard or warlord.
The last Google hangout had Mearls saying that classes that are similar to core classes are the harder ones to get right. This tells me that it is not likely to be the Paladin or Ranger, as they are too close to core classes.



Exactly.

My guess is either the revamped gish class based on the mechanics of the draconic sorcerer or the warlock. We've already seen them, and it might be useful to test out how they've been adapted based on earlier feedback. But I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another "healer"/"leader" class, like maybe the bard or warlord.

I'm not sure they're ready to release the Sorcerer or Warlock, and I think the gish class for all of its new elements will be seen as too much like a Fighter or Wizard to be released in an early form.

I think they will release Sorcerers and Warlocks together, perhaps with the gish class all in one large package.  "Alternate arcane casters" is going to be a simultaneous push to get a more well rounded response to the large casting changes IMO.
On a serious note, I'm hoping for Warlord.
On a serious note, I'm hoping for Warlord.

I definitely agree that would be the most fantastic, throwing 4E players a bone for once.
Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do it, and my actual bet is going to be on the Paladin as well.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I think they should release a class that uses magic to enhance a melee or ranged weapon but also casts spells and can cast spells into the sword or other weapon.
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the paladin.



Me, too.  Ranger would be my second place guess.
I'd LIKE it to be the Warlord.

I'd be happy enough if it was the Bard.

But I agree with the general consensus that it is most likely to be the Paladin.   
I think we can all agree that whatever it is, no one will be happy (not even the people who wanted that class) and that they will denounce the designers as the greatest villains since Robespierre shot Lincoln.
If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the paladin.



Me, too.  Ranger would be my second place guess.



I'd be happy with either - I'd like to compare with what I've already come up with myself.
As I said in the thread that popped up last week, as much as I would love for it to be the Warlord, I imagine we are probably getting the Paladin or Ranger. I would prefer the latter to the former, but of the two, I would say chances are it will be the Paladin.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I would like to see any of the classic fighter subclasses, either barbarian, paladin , or ranger.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

Here are a list of old school classes from Basic D&D that they could include:

Dervish (GAZ2)
TreeKeeper (GAZ5)
Wise Woman (GAZ7)
Master (GAZ8)
Merchant-Prince (GAZ9)
Shamani (GAZ14)

My bet is on wise woman.  It would be sexist to leave this out.
Here are a list of old school classes from Basic D&D that they could include:

Dervish (GAZ2)
TreeKeeper (GAZ5)
Wise Woman (GAZ7)
Master (GAZ8)
Merchant-Prince (GAZ9)
Shamani (GAZ14)

My bet is on wise woman.  It would be sexist to leave this out.


I could play another Merchant-Prince It's been a while.
My two copper.
I think we can all agree that whatever it is, no one will be happy (not even the people who wanted that class) and that they will denounce the designers as the greatest villains since Robespierre shot Lincoln.



I always have a funny mental image of Mearls casually sifting through a fistful of threatning letters during his morning routine.

"Threatning letter... Threatning letter... Bills.. Threatning letter... Bills..."

Originally they said Psionics were going to be a part of the core so it doesn't feel like an extension, in order for them to do this they will need to playtest Psionics, I susggest they put Psionics in as early as possible with atleas one class so they can get testing done on that system as well. I suggest it be the Psion, however it will not be it will be the Paladin or Ranger as mentioned, which are classes that will be created, but since we are testings systems, they should focus on a getting the last system in and satrt testing that, then retooling systems that are already in.



Psionics, oh I so hope they don't make this core.  Or if they do there is a definate way around it.

Psionics is nothing special.  It should just be another form of magic - like it is in 4th.
Psionics is nothing special. It should just be another form of magic - like it is in 4th.

Psionics wasn't "just another form of magic" in 4E any more than Martial was. Heck, what Martial and Psionic had in common was exactly that they were the two power sources that weren't magic (regardless of how often that stupid self-contradictory "psionic magic" phrase was thrown around).

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I say Battlemind or Jester.
I think we can all agree that whatever it is, no one will be happy (not even the people who wanted that class) and that they will denounce the designers as the greatest villains since Robespierre shot Lincoln.



I always have a funny mental image of Mearls casually sifting through a fistful of threatning letters during his morning routine.

"Threatning letter... Threatning letter... Bills.. Threatning letter... Bills..."


Yeah and I bet each one of his threatening letters are from Strahd:

"To whom it may concern:

It has come to my attention that the base world for D&D Next has been set to Forgotten Realms.  I strongly suggest that you reconsider this fact and indeed make the base campaign setting Ravenloft.

Can't you feel the mists surrounding you, coming closer and closer?  I would not wait too long for you to correct this oversight. I look forward to meeting you and having you for dinner as soon as possible.

I wish you luck,

Strahd Von Zarovich"
Psionics is nothing special. It should just be another form of magic - like it is in 4th.

Psionics wasn't "just another form of magic" in 4E . . .


That's true, it wasn't just another form of magic in 4e.  If it was, it wouldn't have gotten its own mechanic.  For what it's worth though, I think psionics as "another form of magic" works as a way to handle it.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

 

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

 

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

 

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

 

Save the breasts.

Psionics is nothing special. It should just be another form of magic - like it is in 4th.

Psionics wasn't "just another form of magic" in 4E any more than Martial was. Heck, what Martial and Psionic had in common was exactly that they were the two power sources that weren't magic (regardless of how often that stupid self-contradictory "psionic magic" phrase was thrown around).



Actually, if you go back and read the psionics material, the word "magic" is used constantly when referring to the powers.  Hence, another form of magic. 
I'm hoping for a Witcher class ala The Witcher video games and books.    Great reflexes, mild spell abilities, alchemical knowledge.   Monster hunter to the core, mutant all around.