[Weeklong Contest] Create Your Own... Contest

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Step 1:

Choose a background -
1) I was inspired by another contest of a similar title.
2) I was bored and decided to run a contest.
3) Somebody hacked my account knowing my aptitude for contests, made a ridiculous contest, and then proceeded to humor themselves in whichever way they pleased.

Step 2:

Choose a card type -
1) Artifact
2) Enchantment
3) Sorcery

Step 3:

Choose a keyword -
1) Haste
2) Shroud
3) Epic

Step 4:

Choose a number -
1) 4
2) 3
3) 5
4) 0
5) 7

Step 5:

Choose a word -
1) Turn
2) Combat
3) Phase
4) Opponent
5) Creature

Step 6:

Choose a criteria -
1) Design a card that is [TYPE] along with another card type. [KEYWORD] must be mentioned exactly NUMBER] times on the card, and you must use [WORD] only once.
2) Design a(n) [TYPE] card that uses both keywords that you didn't choose. The converted mana cost and the textbox both must contain [NUMBER] at least once. Of the five words, you may ONLY use [WORD].
3) Design a(n) [TYPE] card that grants creatures (or creature cards) [KEYWORD]. The card must be [NUMBER] colors (If you pick 7, it must be :XM::WM::UM::BM::RM::GM: where can be any number.) Of the five, [WORD] is the only word you can use more than once on the card.

Step 7:

Choose one -
1) Good luck!
2) Have fun!
3) Do your best!

POST your seven choices along with your card, please.

Ends midnight of the prerelease.
Grading commence over weekend.
Don't expect grades until next week.

And please leave feedback. This one I might want to keep and do periodically.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I want to do 2353 now.

For what it's worth, I ended up with 2341, which should be easy, until I read the third criteria. However... I don't think I'll actually participate.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

2) I was bored and decided to run a contest.
2) Enchantment
3) Epic
2) 3
5) Creature
2) Design a(n) [TYPE] card that uses both keywords that you didn't choose. The converted mana cost and the textbox both must contain [NUMBER] at least once. Of the five words, you may ONLY use [WORD].
1) Good luck!

Fluxible Membrane 
Enchantment
Creatures you control have Haste and Shroud.
3...2...1...GO!”  - Salim, Izzet Fluxiracer

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Using a random number generator, my choices are:
1) Artifact
3) Epic
4) 0
1) Turn
1) Design a card that is [TYPE] along with another card type. [KEYWORD] must be mentioned exactly NUMBER] times on the card, and you must use [WORD] only once.
2) Have fun!

Living Hourglass
Artifact Creature - Construct
When CARDNAME dies, reverse the turn order.
Time is a fickle illusion. It may seem real, but without the proper frames of reference it is kids' play to manipulate it.
4/4 
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Random numbers as well

2 - I was bored and decided to run a contest.
3 - Sorcery
2 - Shroud
4 - 0
3 - Phase
3 - Design a [Sorcery] card that grants creatures [Shroud]. It must be [0] colors. Of the the five, [Phase] is the only word you can use more than once on the card.
3 - Do your best!

Machinations of the Hidden
Sorcery
Artifact creatures you control have shroud until your next combat phase.
They march on, following their programming, and no one is any the wiser.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

I went with random numbers also.

3 - Somebody hacked my account knowing my aptitude for contests, made a ridiculous contest, and then proceeded to humor themselves in whichever way they pleased.
2 - Enchantment
1 - Haste
2 - 3
5 - Creature
2 - Design a Enchantment card that grants creatures (or creature cards) Haste. The card must be 3 colors, creature is the only word you can use more than once on the card.
1 - Good luck!

Explosive Eruption
Enchantment
Creatures you control have haste and trample
Sacrifice Explosive Eruption: destroy target creature
"it ended more abruptly than it began but the aftereffects are not long forgotten."

Don't be too smart to have fun
Crap, as I was reading through it, I thought the lists were just examples until I got to list six, at which point I chose at random...

Well, here's what I ended up with by misunderstanding:

I was in the bathroom when I came up with this great contest idea!  Design a Tribal card that grants creatures (or creature cards) Epic. The card must be 2 colors. Goblin is the only word you can use more than once on the card.

Never-Ending Assault |
Tribal Instant -- Goblin
Target Goblin creature spell gains Epic.
They poured out from the face of Mount Shiv, an unending stream with unfettered rage.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
1) Artifact
1) Haste
1) 4
1) Turn
1) Design a card that is [TYPE] along with another card type. [KEYWORD] must be mentioned exactly [NUMBER] times on the card, and you must use [WORD] only once.
1) Good luck!

Challenge accepted!

Accelerator Golem

Artifact Creature - Golem
(Watermark: Izzet)

Haste
: Target creature you control gains haste until end of turn.
If a creature you control with haste, would gain haste, you may pay . If you do, it is unblockable instead.

2/2
*poke*

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

*poke*

Yup!

I am sleeping. Then work. Then grades!
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I apologize for further delaying this, but the approach of snow has dampered my focus. As such, I predict within two days gardes shall be given. It depends how long the snow snows and other RL shenanigans (like broken water pipes YAY!)
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Grading...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I am glad you guys used RNG's I was going to mention it, but then forgot, but then you guys did it anyways! Hooray!
I'm going to grade how well you followed your criteria. But I will also add some comments to induce bias.

AzureShade:

You were tasked to:
Design an [Enchantment] card that uses both [Haste and Shroud]. The converted mana cost and the textbox both must contain [3] at least once. Of the five words, you may ONLY use [Creature]. Good luck!
I hope you gooded luck.

Fluxible Membrane 
Enchantment
Creatures you control have Haste and Shroud.
3...2...1...GO!”  - Salim, Izzet Fluxiracer

Is it an enchantment? Yes. +1
Does it use Haste and Shroud? Yes. +1
Does the mana cost and textbox contain 3? Mostly yes. (Flavortext) +.75
Is Creature used? Mostly yes. (Creatures) +.75
Is Turn, Combat, Phase, or Opponent used at all? No. +1

Criteria - 4.5 / 5 (90%)
Bias - It isn't exactly creative, it meets the requirements, but doesn't really work with the requirements if you know what I mean. Like, it doesn't exactly go above and beyond. That said, I feel this is balanced. I'll give you (70%)

GRADE: 80%

pietro_aronica:

You were tasked to:
Design a card that is an [Artifact] along with another card type. [Epic] must be mentioned exactly [0] times on the card, and you must use [Turn] only once. Have fun!
I hope you had fun.

Living Hourglass
Artifact Creature - Construct
When CARDNAME dies, reverse the turn order.
Time is a fickle illusion. It may seem real, but without the proper frames of reference it is kids' play to manipulate it.
4/4 

Is it an Artifact? Yes. +1
Is it something else? Yes. +1
Is Epic used 0 times? Yes. +1
Is turn used exactly once? Yes. +1

Criteria - 5 / 5 (100%)
Bias - I really enjoy this card. I wold've like it to be a bit weaker, easier to kill I mean, but otehr than that a solid design. I get the flavor, but I don't know that this quite represents an hourglass. I say, (90%)

GRADE: 95%

IceMetalPunk:

You were tasked to:
Design a [Sorcery] card that grants creatures [Shroud]. It must be [0] colors. Of the five words, [Phase] is the only word you can use more than once on the card. Do your best!
I hope you did your best.

Machinations of the Hidden
Sorcery
Artifact creatures you control have shroud until your next combat phase.
They march on, following their programming, and no one is any the wiser.

Is it a sorcery? Yes. +1
Does it grant creatures shroud? Yes. +1
Is it colorless? Yes. +1
Does it feel colorless? Kinda. +.5
Is any word, other than Phase, used more than once? No. +1

Criteria 4.5 / 5 (90%)
Bias - I REALLY like... and would've liked it better, if all the words were only used once. On the entire card, the only word used twice is 'the'. It should've been phase instead and this card would've been hilarious to me. Gain is used instead of shroud... in this case... I think. I also don't know that this feels particularly colorless. I know it is colorless, but it definately feels blue; without a doubt. I say (85%)

GRADE: 87.5%

morticianjohn:

You were tasked to:
Design an [Enchantment] card that grants creatures (or creature cards) [Haste]. The card must be [3] colors, [Creature] is the only word you can use more than once on the card.
I hope you gooded luck!

Explosive Eruption
Enchantment
Creatures you control have haste and trample
Sacrifice Explosive Eruption: destroy target creature
"it ended more abruptly than it began but the aftereffects are not long forgotten."

Is it an enchantment? Yes. +1
Does it give creatures haste? Yes. +1
Is it three colors? Yes. +1 ( BTW)
Does it feel three colors? Yes.
Is any word, other than Creature, used more than once? No. +1

Criteria - 5 / 5 (100%)
Bias - I really like how you made the card work. I feel it is undercosted, but it gets red in there, green in there, and black in there. Even though the abilities feel tacked on, it works as a card. The part that makes it undercosted is that it grants haste AND trample. I feel this is more of a 4 drop myself MAYBE 5, but then it starts to lose power with it's black identity. Even as a 4 drop it loses some power with it's black identity, though it balances the red and green identity. I dunno... yay numbers game! I say (85%)

GRADE: 92.5%

FirstTurnKill:

You were tasked to:
Design a [Tribal] card that grants creatures (or creature cards) [Epic]. The card must be [2] colors. [Goblin] is the only word you can use more than once on the card.
I hope you

Never-Ending Assault
|
Tribal Instant -- Goblin
Target Goblin creature spell gains Epic.
They poured out from the face of Mount Shiv, an unending stream with unfettered rage.

Is it Tribal? Yes. +1
Does it grant creature cards epic? Yes. +1
Is it 2 colors? Yes. +1
Does it feel 2 colors? Yes. +1
Is goblin the only word used more than once? Yes. +1

Criteria - 5 / 5 (100%)
Bias - I REALLY enjoy that none of the words repeat! I am really excited! I feel like, despite this being a gobling tribal card, that the colors are blue red. ESPECIALLY given that this can completely screw over an opponent playing goblins. I feel this incredibly powerful in a limited format, or a standard where goblins run rampant. Goblin Lackey, Raging Goblin, Seige-Gang Commander really REALLY want this card to make it to print (Raging goblin, not so much. But I love him anyways). That said, I still think this is a little OP. Four would be where I would start this cost. I say (90%)

GRADE: 95%

vlord:

You were tasked to:
Design a card that is an [Artifact] along with another card type. [Haste] must be mentioned exactly [4] times on the card, and you must use [Turn] only once.
I hope you good lucked

Accelerator Golem

Artifact Creature - Golem
(Watermark: Izzet)

Haste
: Target creature you control gains haste until end of turn.
If a creature you control with haste, would gain haste, you may pay . If you do, it is unblockable instead.

2/2

Izzet an artifact? Bahahaha! Yeah. +1.2
Izzet something else? Okay, no! It's only funny the first time! +.9
Is haste mentioned exactly 4 times? Yes. +1
It turn used only once? Yes. +1

Criteria - 4.1 / 4 (102.5%)
Bias - I like the concept of the card, but I think it could cause memory issues as well. The way it is worded, it makes creatures permanently unblockable at the expense of :UM::RM::RM: or even :UM::RM: in some cases. I don't know if that was intentional, but it is interesting nonetheless. At first I thought this was too good, but actually putting the costs together makes it seem more reasonable. I like it. Plus, I love the wording. I say (90%)

GRADE: 96.25%

The winner is:
vlord with Accelerator Golem!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I did have fun.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
D'oh, I forgot Step 7; you win this time vlord!!!

I really considered my card at CMC 4, but then I thought about also having to have already paid the mana cost for the Goblin (can only be used on a cast Goblin)...and realized that if the cost were higher than 3, it would not have a place in any competitive Goblin deck.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

I really considered my card at CMC 4, but then I thought about also having to have already paid the mana cost for the Goblin (can only be used on a cast Goblin)...and realized that if the cost were higher than 3, it would not have a place in any competitive Goblin deck.

I disagree, mostly because red is the ritual color, and black is the ex ritual color. You could probably get this on a Siege-Gang Commander on turn three or four consistantly and then either swarm them with goblins, or ping them for 2 or 3 each turn... or (eventually) both.

It's devastating, because that combination there, you're getting four creatures each turn for free. And leaving mana open to sacrifice them as necessary after chump blocking or whatever...
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:

I disagree, mostly because red is the ritual color, and black is the ex ritual color. You could probably get this on a Siege-Gang Commander on turn three or four consistantly and then either swarm them with goblins, or ping them for 2 or 3 each turn... or (eventually) both.

Yes, but that becomes basically the only thing you get to do for the rest of the game.  While you could *probably* get it onto an SGC on turn 4 (turn 3 is pushing it, even in Vintage -- that requires SGC's CMC of 5 and this CMC of 3) -- the question is which turn could you do it by consistently?

And, more importantly, is that actually better than what the Goblin deck does consistently by that turn already?  In a deck that already wins consistently by turn 3 or 4, does this actually make the deck better, or just different but equivalent?  Does it even have a place in the deck...or is the deck better without it?

Make no mistake, building a card that might possibly have the potential to see a Vintage sideboard (no less a Vintage mainboard) almost means building a broken card.  I'm certainly ready to look at this card and come to the conclusion that it's broken at 3 CMC.  Not sure if it's broken enough to be too broken though.  Can this card pull off consistent T1/T2 wins, as is?  Probably not.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This