Where is it?

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
The "Thragtusk killer" we were promised. They didn't mean skullcrack, did they?

Did I miss a card? I can't see any thragtusk killer in gatecrash.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Gift of Orzhova or Holy Mantle.

Play it yourself.

Fixed.

The only realistic counter would be:

"Hate "
Instant
Hate cannot be countered.
Search your opponent's hand, graveyard and library for all cards named Thragtusk or Snapcaster mage.
Rip them to shreds.
If you rip a card to shreds this way, you may reveal a card named Restoration Angel from that player's library. If you do, put away ten cards from that library. That players shuffles his or her library, then if you removed ten cards, put those cards on top of their owner's library in any order.
Draw a card.
(Yes, hate is colorless.)
"What IS a 'thragtusk'? Snap Caster? I don't even..." - Teysa, Orzhov Scion 

Fixed.

What did you "fix", exactly?

"Hate "
Instant
Search your opponent's hand, graveyard and library for all cards named Thragtusk or Snapcaster mage.
Rip them to shreds.
If you rip a card to shreds this way, you may reveal a card named Restoration Angel from that player's library. If you do, put away ten cards from that library. That players shuffles his or her library, then if you removed ten cards, put those cards on top of their owner's library in any order.
Draw a card.

What is this nonsense?

anti-thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort
Enchanted creature has shroud and can't attack or block.

Not the best, but still a decent answer.

192884403 wrote:

Fixed.

What did you "fix", exactly?

"Hate "
Instant
Rip them to shreds.
Draw a card.

What is this nonsense?

anti-thragtusk
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Extort
Enchanted creature has shroud and can't attack or block.

Not the best, but still a decent answer.

the card you designed would not be an answer to thragtusk.
I have to disagree with all of that, petercai.
It's not a dumb question - I recall one of the articles mentioning that there would be anti-tusk cards in gatecrash.
Frostraven's response was hardly sincere. The only part that tries to answer the question is the first line, and he's suggesting the equivalent of Tricks of the Trade, which we could have been playing for months if such an approach was decent (it's not).
Finally, Fenix's suggestion card would be an answer, since it prevents the tusk from being blinked.

Dave Humphreys, Lead Developer of Gatecrash:
Nevertheless, we have upcoming checks and balances for Thragtusk and so the cycle begins anew.

link

Gavin Verhey, member of the development team of Gatecrash:
There are a few other exciting extort rares for Constructed in the set—including an enchantment that helps answer several cards that are at the peak of Standard right now.

link

And I'm pretty sure there was another instance of this.

192884403 wrote:
Good question, I'm disapponted at this time.  Maybe it's hidden in there, and playtesting will reveal it. I thought Dying Wish was maybe it (sort of) but you can't even enchant your opponents' 'Tusks.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Although clearly the enchantment he spoke of was Blind Obedience, and it answers Falkenrath Aristocrat and Thundermaw Hellkite and the rest of Rakdos Deck Wins, not Thragtusk.

Although clearly the enchantment he spoke of was Blind Obedience, and it answers Falkenrath Aristocrat and Thundermaw Hellkite and the rest of Rakdos Deck Wins, not Thragtusk.

It does to a degree. Thraggy and the token ETB tapped, so you have more opportunities to swing in with whatever stuff is on your board.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
I find it ironic they only made a white counter.
It does hose the Thragtusk from getting blinked.  If they blink him, then Thrag, the token, and the angel are all tapped.  Not that that matters if they blink him at the end of your turn.  Regardless, prevents blocking shenanigans.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I would suggest that illness in the ranks is probably more of a counter than blind obedience it weakens the 3/3 token into a 2/2 which is kind of anti-thragtusk? Lord of the Void and Sepulchral Primordial kind of hurt thragtusk, but only in the manner that you steal them, Soul Ransom is a good answer to it, just steal their thragtusk and get a free mind rot + divination, get creative, thragtusk is stupid, but truthfully i'd be surpriced if one card could completely hose a card that was specifically designed to be this resistance; Mortus Strider can block it all day long I guess lol. 
Assuming they don't play oblivion ring and exiles your enchantment.

The extort makes putting more than two in a deck feasible, but just barely.
Extort doesn't block a Thragtusk. 
Rest in Peace seems to stop Thragtusk.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

How?

192884403 wrote:
appetite for brains stops thragtusk and resto :D
Appetite for Brains is so underappreciated.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I find it ironic they only made a white counter.

They only ever make White counters. White has been the R&D's favorite for a while.
Agoraphobia 

You.

are.

welcome.
So how do I stop 5 - 10 lifegain, Beast tokens, and Restoration Angel blocking shenanigans with... Agoraphobia???  Undecided

Fenix, you have the Dimir symbol as your signature. A midrange deck that has Thragtusk and Restoration Angel isn't going to be very fast, and will match up poorly against milling. The best way to deal with Thragtusk is with a counterspell or discard. Or use Soul Ransom. I think that a Dimir deck would match up very well against a Thragtusk deck because lifegain doesn't help you against milling and if they keep blinking the Thragtusk he has summoning sickness and can't attack you. Now, the problem with using a mill deck is that you match up poorly against decks that abuse the graveyard, so you'd need some graveyard hate.

If Thragtusk really is such a problem then use Nevermore and name Thragtusk. And Skullcrack is an 8 point life swing if played in response to Thragtusk. Or you could run Boros and try to kill your opponent before they get a Thragtusk out, and once they do you have Firemane Avenger take out the Thragtusk. With Boros you could use Spark Trooper and Boros Charm for a 24 point swing.  Or use Clan Defiance to kill their Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, and deal them damage. Or run Simic and try to build up against your opponent. Or run a Biovisionary deck. Or run Obzedat, Ghost Council as your fatty that gains you life and drains your opponent's life, and use other Orzhov cards to gain life. This game is all about strategy, not just having one card that answers what your opponent is doing. Look at all the possibilities and pick the one that you think is the best.
I’ve removed content from this thread because Trolling/Baiting, insulting other posters, and using profanity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
Appetite for Brains is so underappreciated.

I don't agree.

0 for 1-ing yourself gets old, fast.

Even as sideboard material, running 3 is too much, running 2 means you may never get one, and running 1 is random.

When you play it, your best shot is playing it the turn before they can cast restoration angel.
At any other point than when the opponent is at 3 mana -- chances of hitting a target feels like 50/50 at turns 1 and 2 and after turn 3.

My solution right now is Slaughter Games, which is sub-optimal now that there's no actual ramp for 4 CMC spells.
For Slaughter Games, Appetite for Brains runs as a probe -- but I miss Gitaxian Probe, already

WHY are there no 2 mana artifacts that produce mana?!!??!
Agoraphobia + Simic Manipulator

Your Thragtusk?  No, My Thragtusk! 
Agoraphobia + Simic Manipulator

Your Thragtusk?  No, My Thragtusk! 

That is pretty sneaksky.

Are you a hobbit?
Fenix, you have the Dimir symbol as your signature. A midrange deck that has Thragtusk and Restoration Angel isn't going to be very fast, and will match up poorly against milling. The best way to deal with Thragtusk is with a counterspell or discard. Or use Soul Ransom. I think that a Dimir deck would match up very well against a Thragtusk deck because lifegain doesn't help you against milling and if they keep blinking the Thragtusk he has summoning sickness and can't attack you. Now, the problem with using a mill deck is that you match up poorly against decks that abuse the graveyard, so you'd need some graveyard hate.

If Thragtusk really is such a problem then use Nevermore and name Thragtusk. And Skullcrack is an 8 point life swing if played in response to Thragtusk. Or you could run Boros and try to kill your opponent before they get a Thragtusk out, and once they do you have Firemane Avenger take out the Thragtusk. With Boros you could use Spark Trooper and Boros Charm for a 24 point swing.  Or use Clan Defiance to kill their Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, and deal them damage. Or run Simic and try to build up against your opponent. Or run a Biovisionary deck. Or run Obzedat, Ghost Council as your fatty that gains you life and drains your opponent's life, and use other Orzhov cards to gain life. This game is all about strategy, not just having one card that answers what your opponent is doing. Look at all the possibilities and pick the one that you think is the best.

No, I don't play standard competitively, so I am not worried with having to beat thragtusk. I do follow the dailymtg articles though, and was just disappointed that the development team promised something that wasn't there.

And UB mill is unplayable in standard. Not because of reanimation or graveyard decks, but because you autolose against mono-red, zombies and all the other aggressive decks.

192884403 wrote:
Boros Reckoner. He beats Thragtusk and the token.

This is probably it now that I think about it. First strike kills or let it deal damage to negate the lifegain with the other effect.
I think each color has a card or few that stop an aspect of thragtusk that worries that color the most; they don't want to suddenly turn thragtusk into a 1 dollar junk rare...

Red is rushy, so the most obvious is Skullcrack, which counters the lifegain aspect of thragtusk. 

For controlly blue, Agoraphobia counters the aggro part of thragtask, and by being able to return it, can use it repeatedly without fear of blinking thragtusks. 

Black has the kill spells, but is definitely not happy with the 2 for 1 nature of thragtusk, grisly Spectacle turns thragtusk into a liability and illness in the ranks turns beasts into knights. 

I don't know about what white is worried about but blind obedience prevents blocking blinking thragtusks, and stalls for another turn.

Green... has Tower Defense... which is really a horrible card to side just for thragtusk, but I think their logic is that if you're playing green, you're playing thragtusk anyways.

This is probably it now that I think about it. First strike kills or let it deal damage to negate the lifegain with the other effect.

If they trade, does the token come into play before you have to pick a target for the redirected damage, or are you stuck pointing it at the opposing player?

WHY are there no 2 mana artifacts that produce mana?!!??!

there is one now prophetic prism... although it sucks because it doesn't really ramp... nice turn 2 draw I guess...

No, I don't play standard competitively, so I am not worried with having to beat thragtusk. I do follow the dailymtg articles though, and was just disappointed that the development team promised something that wasn't there.

And UB mill is unplayable in standard. Not because of reanimation or graveyard decks, but because you autolose against mono-red, zombies and all the other aggressive decks.

mill is a playable deck in the format, just play turbofog lol, seems to work out really well considering every deck wins by turning creatures sideways these days anyways... and UB mill will probably become a better option in the upcoming meta game because of the shocklands, with them mutilate will turn into a good sweeper for UB, just fill your deck with kill spells, board sweepers and other UB shinnanigans and im sure UB can work, maybe...

If they trade, does the token come into play before you have to pick a target for the redirected damage, or are you stuck pointing it at the opposing player?

That's a tough call, because as I understand the rules both abilities trigger at about the same time, the Reckoner on combat damage which is a turn-based action and Thragtusk's on its death due to lethal combat damage causing it to die as a state-based action. Well, the turn-based action precedes the state-based action as the lethal damage is a direct result of the combat damage step. Since the Reckoner is dealt damage during the combat damage step thereby triggering its ability then Thragtusk dies from lethal damage, thus leaving the field and triggering its ability, I'd say the Reckoner's ability is put on the stack first followed by Thragtusk's. The target has to be chosen at the time of Reckoner's ability being put on the stack, meaning it triggers too early to target the Beast token which hasn't yet entered the battlefield.

If this is correct, then no, the token cannot be targeted by the Reckoner's ability.

When their Battalion abilities are triggered, Ordruun Veteran and Wojek Halberdiers can also beat Thragtusk and the token.

Firemane Avenger can use Battalion to clear the way as well, but the token will still be there.

Oh, that's a good one. Might depend on priority.
I am Blue/Black
Hmm, I'm going to take a stab at it:

If triggers get put on in order of Active Player, Non-Active, then the boros guy's gets put on first then the thrag tusk gets put  on.  Thrag resolves first, then boros guy.  You can kill the token with his ability since when damage is dealt the attacking player will have priority.  My take is yes.
Hmm, I'm going to take a stab at it:

If triggers get put on in order of Active Player, Non-Active, then the boros guy's gets put on first then the thrag tusk gets put  on.  Thrag resolves first, then boros guy.  You can kill the token with his ability since when damage is dealt the attacking player will have priority.  My take is yes.

No. The boros guy has to choose the target for the ability when it's put on the stack.

If you killed the tusk with first strike and then took damage later in the regular combat step (a double block perhaps), then the token would be on the field to target.
For one reason or another I assumed you could target after the trigger was put on the stack.  But that is completely correct.

How?

Without the card in front of me, I forget it's a LTB trigger rather than a more common "dies" trigger. Disregard.

I'm sure -X/-X effects could hobble him, though. And Pacifism at least temporarily stops him, though Oblivion Ring's a stupid idea because he just leaves behind a 3/3, and comes back, granting 5 life.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Simic is just going to bounce him and flash him out and in of existance, so much they probably need to put lube for him not to take damage from all the friction.
I'm talking metaphorically, in character and out of character here.

To elaborate:
Flashing him with Restoration Angel triggers three evolve triggers.