What Makes You A Defending Player?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was playing a game with a friend and he played [C]Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs[/C].
I used the ability from [C]Tower of Calamities[/C] later on, and was wondering about the rules on what specifies a "defending player".
When I use an ability that targets him or his creatures does that make him the defending player, and activate his creature's ability?
if you or a planeswalker you control is attacked, you are a defending player

Kazuul has a triggered ability, not an activated ability
proud member of the 2011 community team
During the combat phase, the Active Player (the person who's turn it is) is the Attacking Player, and his opponent is the Defending Player*. Outside the combat phase, there are no attacking players or defending players. 

* In multiplayer, it's a little more complicated, but there are still only defending players during the combat phase
Okay, thanks for the help guys, i'm surprised at how quick I got a response. Smile
Furthermore, Tower of Calamities is not a creature, and using an ability or dealing damage is never "attacking".
if you or a planeswalker you control is attacked, you are a defending player

Shouldnt that be "is being attacked"?

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
could be
english is my third language ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Shouldnt that be "is being attacked"?

it should for the semantic difference

Enigma's answer precludes the possibility of becoming a defending player after the turn based action of declaring attackers
when in fact a token created by Geist of St. Treft could be put on the field attacking a different player in multiplayer thereby making that player become a defending player after that point without ever being attacked.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

But arn't you still the defending player until end of combat even if all the attackers are removed from combat?
The plot thickens!

And yes. You are still a defending player.

But anyhow, whether you are considered a defending player has got little to do with actually being attacked:

506.2a During the combat phase of a multiplayer game, there may be one or more defending players, depending on the variant being played and the options chosen for it. Unless all the attacking player’s opponents automatically become defending players during the combat phase, the attacking player chooses one of his or her opponents as a turn-based action during the beginning of combat step. (Note that the choice may be dictated by the variant being played or the options chosen for it.) That player becomes the defending player. See rule 802, “Attack Multiple Players Option,” rule 803, “Attack Left and Attack Right Options,” and rule 809, “Emperor Variant.”

I almost exclusively do multiplayer with this option:

802. Attack Multiple Players Option
802.1. Some multiplayer games allow the active player to attack multiple other players. If this option is used, a player can also choose to attack only one player during a particular combat.
802.2. As the combat phase starts, the attacking player doesn’t choose an opponent to become the defending player. Instead, all the attacking player’s opponents are defending players during the combat phase.

That being said, most effects care about a specific defending player. If your thing has islandwalk, for example, it only cares whether the player it's actually attacking has an island.