[GTC-ICD] Beckon Apparition

23 posts / 0 new
Last post

Beckon Apparition - :wb:
Instant
Exile target card from a graveyard. Put a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

The foyer is littered with the coins it demands but can no longer hold. 

--------------------------

Making an ICD for this because I've always liked this card, and it's still quite relevant with Unburial Rites around. Also, could be one of the few Orzhov cards that will see Standard play (in the sideboard, but still) *cough*. A little bit too similar to Vile Rebirth? Maybe. But also still nice to have!

The token associated with it:
nice little reprint there. has a bit of synergy with lingering souls too. orzhov tokens, anyone? 
Eh.
Originally I had thought this kind of abiliity was gonna be hitched onto Orzhov charm, but this is a good reprint.
I am Blue/Black
Plays nicely with Lingering Souls. I forgot this was a reprint at first. This is good value for one hybrid mana.

good reprint, i love this card so much.
Good card. I like that you dont need to specificly exile creature cards for this to work.
Oooh, Nice reprint, always love this card, especially good on graveyard theme meta on my playgroup
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Vile Rebirth, ten years later.
I didn't expect a reprint in Hybrid, of all things. But hey, it's a good one.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
That's a fun little reprint.
Shame the graveyard hate doesn't bother any of the gatecrash guilds.
This should be pretty good in the context of Orzhov limited.  You'll probably end up using it when you have a decent number of extort triggers, and are in need of a chump blocker.
I totally forgot this was a reprint.
Nicely done!  
This makes me want to put back together my spirit token deck. I always felt it's issue was being slow in the early game, and this helps that issue.
Surely even rorix likes this one

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Could see play in the SB of a token deck as graveyard hate. It's less effective than rest in peace, but cheaper, develops your board, and gives you the chance to blow them out (i.e. cast this in response to unburial). With rest in peace, they never try to unburial so you can't "counter" it and get them to tap out for nothing. There's also the fact that rest in peace makes lingering souls significantly worse. In a lingering souls token deck, I would think the go-to cards are purify the grave or cremate.

In tokens, I think a 1/1 flier (that is likely pumped up to 3/2 or so between intangible virtue and sorin) is better than drawing a card, but I'm not sure. Drawing a card gives you a land almost half the time, the other half of the time you get a spell, but it might be overkill (i.e. you have more cards than mana to cast them) or too-little-too-late (the flashed in blocker or attacker wins the game, but drawing a card is too slow). There's also the fact that this card is easier on the mana, black is usually secondary in tokens so cremate is unreliable. Purify the grave might be better since it hoses two unburial activations, but the flashback is significantly worse since they see it coming, and will just cast creatures instead (still helps you, but doesn't blow them out and the extra 2+ power flier might have been enough to seal the game before they can take over w/angel of serenity).

I don't know though, I wasn't even aware this was a reprint. I'm guessing it's from Shadowmoor block since that's the block I've seen/drafted the least since it never gets revisited on modo and had the most hybrid cards. Did this see any play in Shadowmoor standard? If I'm not mistaken, there was a dominant b/w token deck then featuring spectral procession so it seems like if there was ever a time this would be good, it would have been then. 
Surely even rorix likes this one

I like this even though it's actually a terrible card.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This makes me want to put back together my spirit token deck. I always felt it's issue was being slow in the early game, and this helps that issue.

How??
I actually think it is more relevant to Boros - with two battallion creatures on the board, flashing this in EOT is a huge game.
Great reprint, better than Vile Rebirth unless you're zombie tribal.
I just realized this trades evenly with Snapcaster Mage, fizzles his ETB target and can trade with him in combat.
I just realized this trades evenly with Snapcaster Mage, fizzles his ETB target and can trade with him in combat.

Seems pretty good to me.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Seems pretty good to me.

Woo hoo!

I feel like I'm actually making steps out of just casual learning.