Healing Word (healing surge) question

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am pretty sure that the healing word ability requires the target of the spell to spend a healing surge.  Due to the wording, I have some friends saying that it's optional to spend a healing surge to gain the extra 1d6 hit points only.  They are essentially saying that they can gain a healing surge value without spending a healing surge.

I'm pretty sure they are not correct but can someone explain if they are or are not.

Also, as an additional question.  Does flanking work similar to 3.5 in the way that you can't gain the benefits of flanking if you are engaged with another opposing creature (other than the one you are attempting to flank)?   So, even if you are surrounded by enemies you can still flank one if you have an ally on the opposing side?

thanks for the help!
1) You're correct, unless they decide they don't want any healing.  Other than Second Wind and powers that allow it, PCs can't spend healing surges at random during combat (they can during short rests).  Healing Word is saying that the target can spend a healing surge (and regain the hit points) AND regain 1d6 hp.

2) No, there's no "engagement."  There are some conditions that prevent flanking; for the most part, they involve being unable to attack out of turn (for example, dazed, stunned, unconscious) or taking a very serious penalty to hit (blinded).  Otherwise, you can flank. 
I am pretty sure that the healing word ability requires the target of the spell to spend a healing surge.

Yes. You have to spend a healing surge with Healing Word if you want to regain any additional hit points. 

even if you are surrounded by enemies you can still flank one if you have an ally on the opposing side?

Yes. You can flank while being flanked or surrounded in 4E.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks so much guys!  You all are so helpful?  It is ok to post a new thread like this or should i post in the quick questions thread?
You're welcome! Go ahead here if you wish..Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada

You're welcome! Go ahead here if you wish..

Lol here in my thread or a new thread entirely? 

sorry, I know there are sometimes hidden rules to forums and I wanna make sure I'm not being a total noob lol 
Here is okay.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Here is okay. 

Ok, I got a couple more if that's alright.  Here I go

1.  What is a good amount of encounters per day I should strive for as a dm (just an average for a party of 5 people at lvl 1-4).  I know it's not a rule but what does the dm's guide suggest I guess.  
2.  A friend of mine made an Assassin/Rogue hybrid.  He took an assassin feat that allows him to gain combat advantage against a creature with a shroud. He can also use sneak attack with a rogue ability.  This seem broken to me because he is easily able to get combat advantage every turn and sneak attack?  Is this right? 
3.  Do attack bonuses stack?  For example, arcane spellfury feat and rising spellfury feat (I think that's their names).  How many bonuses can you get all together?

1. It really depends on a number of factors (encounters difficulty, group composition, optimisation etc..) make sure you look at their ressources such as their powers, healing surges etc...as a measure of how far they can push. Most adventuring day sees 2-4 encounters usually, some less, some more.

2. Combat Advantage is easy enought to get and Cruel Shroud doesn't this combo broken no, just easier to get. 

3. If a bonus has a type, the bonus is not cumulative with bonuses of the same type; only the highest bonus applies. Bonuses that have no type, also called untyped bonuses, are cumulative.  except if they are from the same named game element. In your exemple the bonus from Arcane Spellfury feat and Rising Spellfury stack because they are untyped bonus from diifferent game elements.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

1. It really depends on a number of factors (encounters difficulty, group composition, optimisation etc..) make sure you look at their ressources such as their powers, healing surges etc...as a measure of how far they can push. Most adventuring day sees 2-4 encounters usually, some less, some more.

2. Combat Advantage is easy enought to get and Cruel Shroud doesn't this combo broken no, just easier to get. 

3. If a bonus has a type, the bonus is not cumulative with bonuses of the same type; only the highest bonus applies. Bonuses that have no type, also called untyped bonuses, are cumulative.  except if they are from the same named game element. In your exemple the bonus from Arcane Spellfury feat and Rising Spellfury stack.

I think I understand but just to make sure.  What do you mean by "type" exactly?  Can you give me some examples where bonuses would stack and not stack?  Once again, thank you for the help :-)
[

I think I understand but just to make sure.  What do you mean by "type" exactly?  Can you give me some examples where bonuses would stack and not stack?  Once again, thank you for the help :-)

Most bonuses have a type, indicated by saying it is a +X Type bonus.  for example, a +1 feat bonus to damage, or a +1 item bonus to damage.

Feats with different types will stack.  A +1 feat bonus to damage and a +2 item bonus to damage results in a +3 total bonus to damage.

Feats with the same type do not stack.  A +1 feat bonus to damage  and a +2 feat bonus to damage results in a +2 feat bonus to damage; you only take the higher.

Bonuses without a type, such as '+1 bonus to damage' will stack with any bonus, including other untyped bonuses, UNLESS those bonuses come from the same named game element.

You can always see what type a bonus has by looking for a word between the number and the word bonus.  Don't assume; not all feats generate feat bonuses, not all items generate item bonuses, etc.
Ok that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks guys, Im sure ill be back with more later.  Off to bed for now haha.