Skullbriar rules question

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skullbriar is out with no counters, I have an Infinite Reflection out attached to my Lumberknot.

During my opponent's turn he plays Planar Cleansing killing the creatures and the enchantment, does Skullbriar end up with any +1/+1 counters? and do those counters stay on as it changes zones?
No, it does not get any counters.

The "whenever a creature dies" ability on skullbriar-lumberknot does trigger, but since skullbriar doesn't exist when the ability resolves, the ability can't place a counter on it. 
the Skullbriar in the graveyard is a different object than the one that triggered on the battlefield
so the trigger can't find the Skullbriar to put counters on it
proud member of the 2011 community team
ok, good to know.

Hypothetically, could I just Geth's Verdict myself and sacrifice the Lumberknot in response?

Would Skullbriar get a counter in that situation?
Hypothetically, could I just Geth's Verdict myself and sacrifice the Lumberknot in response?

Would Skullbriar get a counter in that situation?

It will get the counter, but it won't keep it.

For skullbriar's counter-keeping ability to work, it has to have the ability in the zone it is leaving, not the zone it is entering. Since it doesn't have the ability on the battlefield (due to the copy effect), it will not keep the counter.
9/22/2011 Skullbriar's last ability only works if it has that ability in the zone it's moving from. For example, with Yixlid Jailer ("Cards in graveyards lose all abilities") on the battlefield, a Skullbriar with a counter on it in a graveyard loses that counter when it's put onto the battlefield. Conversely, that Skullbriar moving from the graveyard to the battlefield would retain that counter if Humility ("All creatures lose all abilities and are 1/1") were on the battlefield; if Skullbriar then left the battlefield with Humility still on the battlefield, it would lose the counter.

But if my Geth's Verdict kills the Lumberknot before Skullbriar, doesn't it's "keep it's counters" ability turn back on when Infinite Reflection is put in the grave first?
when Infinite Reflection leaves the battlefield all the copies remain in their current copy state
they don't revert back to their original form
proud member of the 2011 community team
ahh, ok that's where I was having some confusion
Nothing has told teh copies to stop being copies.
But if my Geth's Verdict kills the Lumberknot before Skullbriar, doesn't it's "keep it's counters" ability turn back on when Infinite Reflection is put in the grave first?

I actually thought the same thing as i was answering, but then i reread infinite reflection. Infinite reflection's effect does not end, even if infinite reflection leaves the battlefield.
Infinite reflection's effect does not end

Well, duh!

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

To be honest, missed that interaction myself ... your Saprolings Mana Dorks-> permanently Thragtusks anyone?

edit, I'd do so much better to RTFC
not to get off-topic, but what saproling is a non-token?
not to get off-topic, but what saproling is a non-token?

Avian Changeling
any non-token with Conspiracy
any nontoken Forest with Life and Limb

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

...any Clone copying a Saproling.

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments