Most Valuable Sets

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
The twenty most valuable sets based on the average value of the rare cards: 
bopmtg.net/blog/most-valuable-sets

Report includes top five cards in each set. It's interesting to see how a single big money card (Jace, the Mind Sculptor or  Tarmogoyf) can have such an impact on the value of a set.
You really should seperate your list into standard legal sets and nonstantard legal sets. It's painfully obvious that each standard set will be withing the highest valued sets as standard drivers the value of cards that are legal.
well, 1 of the top 5 are standard legal.
All 5 standard sets are within the top 16. 4 in the top 10 if you exculde RtR which has just been released and has lower price tag at the moment. I am saying that after the rotation all (or almost all of them) will drop on the list.
Except uncommon and common value actually dominates the net value of opening MM, Tempest, Urzas blocks, so.....
All 5 standard sets are within the top 16 ... after the rotation all (or almost all of them) will drop on the list.

Certainly, but this list is meant to capture the current value of each set which is based on current demand, and since Standard sets are in high demand, they are currently valuable.

Except uncommon and common value actually dominates the net value of opening MM, Tempest, Urzas blocks, so.....

This is a good point, and one of the reasons this is only an approximation. Though I wonder, do you really think the value of those packs are "dominated" by commons and uncommons? ... Now that I think about it, maybe you're right... you get 10 chances to get a common instead of one... I wonder if that means a $9 common (Lotus Petal) in the set is like having a $90 rare.

I don't have a good data source for common and uncommons though. If I did you could imagine a more accurate calculation based on the average value per rarity and the chance to get each rarity in a pack.
$9 petal, $35+ wasteland, and more than a half-dozen $3+ commons in every one of the listed blocks. Its easily more than half of the EV of a pack.
Wow. You're totally right. I had no idea. Makes me interested to do a proper EV calculation now...
Sign In to post comments