Magic 'the Gathering'

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. Havent played Magic for very long, so this may seem like an obvious question, but why is it called Magic 'the Gathering'? Gathering of what? Why not just Magic?
Hi. Havent played Magic for very long, so this may seem like an obvious question, but why is it called Magic 'the Gathering'? Gathering of what? Why not just Magic?

A gathering of planeswalkers dueling.  But, Wikipedia says it was due to trademark issues.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gatheri...

The planeswalkers are clearly immortals from Highlander.

That explains where EDH came from.

The name kept me away from the game originally; not having heard much about it, it suggested a silly premise about a witches' competition.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Well yeah... it's because, you know, there can be only one -- of the same card per deck. *groan*
As Mark Rosewater tells it, it was originally just going to be 'Magic'. Then their legal department told them that you can't trademark 'Magic'. So after going through a number of ideas they settled upon 'The Gathering'. The idea was that then the back of cards would change for each set so you'd get Magic: Arabian Nights, Magic: Ice Age, Magic: Antiquities, and so on. When they realized they didn't want different backs for each set they dropped this particular idea.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
There's also a mysterious pen stroke on the logo if you look.

Deckmaster was a now-defunct product line of which Magic is the only survivor.

Of course, things get weird, flavor-wise. The card back's supposed to be a spellbook, but some spells really don't feel like spells. Presumably that's a page on swordsmanship?

And if anyone asks about a sixth color, consider the back to be among the most pertinent reasons we don't have one.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
And if anyone asks about a sixth color, consider the back to be among the most pertinent reasons we don't have one.

If the back can always have the now-irrelevant word "Deckmaster" on it, it can always have the original five colors on it even if we go to eight colors, as I've suggested.
In brief: two new colors to replace Blue, so that split between two colors it's less powerful, and one color to combine two weaker colors - so that it becomes possible to switch, in successive blocks, between the five original colors, and two of the original colors other than Blue plus the three new colors, so as to still have five colors in use.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Well yeah... it's because, you know, there can be only one -- of the same card per deck. *groan*

It goes deeped than that. Initially, only one person could have the same general. Obviously, as EDH grew popular, this no longer became tennable.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Gathering is a term that correlates with the occult. "the Gathering" was likely added to give the game a strong sense of realism, bridging on those historical occult concepts. Among them are: White Mass, Black Mass, Hecatomb, Samhain, Solstice//Equinox gatherings (Pegan, Wicca, and Druidism), so on & so on.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Spr_5b_645.png)

Gathering is a term that correlates with church potlucks, and was likely added to placate the sort of people who worry about things like "White Mass, Black Mass, Hecatomb, Samhain, Solstice/Equinox gatherings (Pagan, Wicca, and Druidic), ect."

EDIT: Wink

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Gathering is a term that correlates with the occult. "the Gathering" was likely added to give the game a strong sense of realism, bridging on those historical occult concepts. Among them are: White Mass, Black Mass, Hecatomb, Samhain, Solstice//Equinox gatherings (Pegan, Wicca, and Druidism), so on & so on.

And which are you? *ba-dum-psh*
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments