My Video Review of Magic 2013 Duels of the Planeswalkers

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I just made an account here and I haven't been too active in the Magic community recently (I used to play a ton from Beta-Odyssey). I've recently been playing the Duels of the Planewalker games and I decided to release a review of Magic 2013. If you're interested, I've uploaded it to youtube, let me know what you think .

Moving to the Duels of the Planeswalkers Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Your hearts in the right place, but, er... You're a few days late and several dollars short.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Your hearts in the right place, but, er... You're a few days late and several dollars short.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. My friends and I just started reviewing games on youtube so we're still getting the hang of it. I promise the next Magic review will be ontime with the release of the game.
I'd say pretty good review, pretty fair. Obviously a bit late, but keep it up.
Damn, I wish you were reviewing DOTP 2014. Tongue Out

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Seems well done and polished.  How about embedding the vid here, or at least make it a clickable link though?
I'd say pretty good review, pretty fair. Obviously a bit late, but keep it up.

Thanks.

Damn, I wish you were reviewing DOTP 2014.

I will as soon as it comes out!

Seems well done and polished.  How about embedding the vid here, or at least make it a clickable link though?

Thanks, I tried to embed it, does this forum not use bbcode? I tried html as well and it didn't seem to work. I made the link clickable at least though. 

Hey everyone, I just made an account here and I haven't been too active in the Magic community recently (I used to play a ton from Beta-Odyssey). I've recently been playing the Duels of the Planewalker games and I decided to release a review of Magic 2013. If you're interested, I've uploaded it to youtube, let me know what you think .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMT_HTwXYZg

Welcome to the forums, Nomed50! I liked the review, and agree it's well polished and very straightforward. As far as embedding it, let me give it a shot:

EDIT: Yup, that worked. Try using the "Insert/Edit Embedded Media" button up top, then pasting the code in the "Source" tab.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Welcome to the forums, Nomed50! I liked the review, and agree it's well polished and very straightforward. As far as embedding it, let me give it a shot:

EDIT: Yup, that worked. Try using the "Insert/Edit Embedded Media" button up top, then pasting the code in the "Source" tab.

Thanks for the welcome Sean and I'm glad you liked the review. It looks like that did the trick, I completely missed the "Insert Embedded Media button." I was just trying to use bbcode and html.

Solid review commentary. Clear and to the point. As a youtuber myself I'd like to point out a couple of things that caught my attention that you may want to work on for future reviews. 

0:32-0:41 long and awkward pause. I'm sure it was intentional but it was just a little bit too long to be natural since there was no video transition.
2:22 The music changes to a much more percussive and somewhat louder beat. While your voice is still easily heard its becomes distracting at some times.
Then if one really wanted to get anal the timing was off on a couple of the transitions in relation to the music. A video editor should do their best (especially for hard cuts) to do a transition on the beat of the music. 

Just a couple of nit-picky things but only said to help you in the future. You've definitely got the voice and tone to perform these reviews and possibly make something of it. 

Good luck!

Solid review commentary. Clear and to the point. As a youtuber myself I'd like to point out a couple of things that caught my attention that you may want to work on for future reviews. 

0:32-0:41 long and awkward pause. I'm sure it was intentional but it was just a little bit too long to be natural since there was no video transition.
2:22 The music changes to a much more percussive and somewhat louder beat. While your voice is still easily heard its becomes distracting at some times.
Then if one really wanted to get anal the timing was off on a couple of the transitions in relation to the music. A video editor should do their best (especially for hard cuts) to do a transition on the beat of the music. 

Just a couple of nit-picky things but only said to help you in the future. You've definitely got the voice and tone to perform these reviews and possibly make something of it. 

Good luck!

Hey there,

Thanks for the tips and advice. I realize my editing could have been better for the review, Adobe Premiere was actually giving me a bit of grief at the time. It was lagging a lot and my preview monitor wasn't rendering half the time (I had to fully render the video multiple times just to see how it was turning out.)

I'll definitely keep those things in mind for future videos. We may be getting off-topic here but here's a review I did for another game:

Adobe Premiere ran flawlessly for this one and I think the editing may have turned out a bit better.

Thanks,
Nathan

Great review mate!

I watched a few of the other reviews you guys got posted there.

It's nice to see some honest game reviews where I dont see 9.8's for games like Halo 4

Keep up the good work ya? 
Great review mate!

I watched a few of the other reviews you guys got posted there.

It's nice to see some honest game reviews where I dont see 9.8's for games like Halo 4

Keep up the good work ya? 

That's great to hear, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Oy, What does that even mean?

I think I just played you today.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

Are you talking about me? I haven't played Magic in a few days, I've been pretty busy. Your name does sound somewhat familiar though.

I'll probably be playing at some point this weekend though.

Oy a fellow a mine at the pub said he trounced you right quick in the draw and you didn't know if you was swining ms. terri by the end of the lot you bloody wank.

maybe if you had a proper listen and held a proper deck you'd have a proper chance at lighting him next time instead of nancying about like a sherry on a wednesday night.

keep me posted on whether you have the scrum or not to fes up to the challange aight then
Haha.....I don't even know what's going on any more :P Is that for real?
Oy a fellow a mine at the pub said he trounced you right quick in the draw and you didn't know if you was swining ms. terri by the end of the lot you bloody wank.

maybe if you had a proper listen and held a proper deck you'd have a proper chance at lighting him next time instead of nancying about like a sherry on a wednesday night.

keep me posted on whether you have the scrum or not to fes up to the challange aight then

Someone is celebrating Australia Day a little early.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
There isn't nothin australian about it those dumb prison nancies can go wallup a kangaroo for all I care and you can go eat a hardtack and break your bloody teeth off into it cause you're to stupid to dip it first go and fist yourself you fancy loving 300 boy cause you're not right proper thaat's for true make yourself out a fool by days end nothing you can say back cuz i rumped your mum a fortnight ago an you done be quick bout it and whips your uncle by morning you wank.

lol.
Lol. Its even funnier because it is unreadable.
Lol. Its even funnier because it is unreadable.

They should hire him to be Nicol Bolas' voice actor in Magic 2014. Have him suddenly sound like he belongs in a Guy Ritchie movie.
There isn't nothin australian about it those dumb prison nancies can go wallup a kangaroo for all I care and you can go eat a hardtack and break your bloody teeth off into it cause you're to stupid to dip it first go and fist yourself you fancy loving 300 boy cause you're not right proper thaat's for true make yourself out a fool by days end nothing you can say back cuz i rumped your mum a fortnight ago an you done be quick bout it and whips your uncle by morning you wank.

This is a job for The Bishop!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

This kind of got off-topic. I should be uploading some gameplay soon which will feature a 4 player Free for all with epic music.
I've also posted a review of Dark Souls. While not at all related to Magic the gathering, it's an amazing game and takes place in a similar fantasy setting:

7.6 is a reasonable score there are way too many dragons and way too little ogres in this game. Otherwise 8.8
7.6 is a reasonable score there are way too many dragons and way too little ogres in this game. Otherwise 8.8

Can't say I've ever seen a deck comprised of primarily ogres.
Sign In to post comments