Martial Damage Dice refresh every ...?

I keep seeing a reference by some people on the forum -- a reference which seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me.

Martial damage dice refresh every turn.   If I were to read that phrase in the context of, well, every other game I have ever played,  that says that they refresh every time YOUR turn goes around the table.  These would be a pool of dice which you could utilize as you see fit -- as extra damage, to power up maneuvers, or to *hold in reserve* to utilize your reaction maneuvers, etc.

However ...

Some individuals on the board are suggesting that they refresh every SINGLE turn (i.e. your turn, another player's turn, a monster's turn, etc.).   Effectively this turns them from a resource pool into a static set of dice which can be constantly utilized.     Apparently Mike Mearls tweeted something or other (I do not have a link to this tweet, and cannot find it), to clarify the ruling in this direction.   This doesn't change things too much, I guess -- it effectively means that you have your pool on your turn to power your action, but you also have your ENTIRE pool to power your reaction.   This spooks me a bit, as it is of course a more powerful option.

I can see the concept here, in that it minimizes record-keeping.   You wouldn't ever have to hold any dice in reserve.   But to me, that takes some of the tension and fun out of it.   Perhaps I'm simply too conservative, but I *like* the idea of unspent resources and hedging one's bets.   And frankly, it also strikes me as a pathetically small bit of record-keeping (akin to keeping track of how many hit-dice you have left after healing, book-keeping until the next refresh) and if we're worried about that level of record-keeping, perhaps we're jumping at shadows?  

So before I go all-in one way or another,  can I get a confirmation on this?   If somebody has an official ruling, or a link to the 'tweet', or what have you?

I just want to make sure I'm not messing my playtest game up, here.   
The intention was that it refreshed on the player's turn. Some people interpreted it as 'every turn,' and Mike said that while that may be hyper-technicality correct, it was not the intention. I'd run it as the intention and not as the wording-abuse.
Here's the link to the tweet: twitter.com/mikemearls/status/2847537704...

To Nevrus: Do you have a link to a source for Mike's statement on that?  I'm not intending to be combative - I really want to know if he said that so I can be sure to do things correctly.  I'm a stickler for rules, and I prefer to do things right, especially with the seemingly minimal editing done with these playtest packets.  =)

I like the idea of MDD being a once per round resource that refreshes at the start of battle and the end of a player's turn.  That's just my preference, though, so take that for what it's worth.  You could even limit it to 1d6 MDD at the start of battle and you get your full MDD at the end of your turn.
Well, Mike's tweet is pretty straightforward, isn't it --- "You get them all on your reaction".

No resource management, then. 
Unless Nevruss has some personal communcation with Mike outside of the Twitter feed and his other statements (for example, I didn't see the last Google+ hangout) - I think he is in error.

Mike's tweet (and Trevor's subsequent comment on the tweet) make it pretty clear that it refreshes each turn (i.e. each player's turn) not each round (as it was in prior packets).

I'm still on the fence about this - remember that there is still only one reaction per round, so that means two uses (one on your turn, one as a reaction) not unlimited uses for the dice. 

I think that is fine as it stands - I just think that there are too many dice in general (or that the dice are too large; maybe we should go for d4s or even d3s.)

I suspect that - keeping in mind that this is a playtest - the intent is that we TEST recharging on each player's turn and give feedback into whether or not that works.  Not reject it out of hand as too powerful and assume they meant something other than what they put in the rules and confirmed in the Tweets.

Carl
What about opportunity attacks?  Those are not reactions.  He responded to the question, but did not state that they can only be used on your main attack and reaction.

From a strict reading of the rules, I interpret it in the same way as the OP.  They renew on each and every turn which is far too much.  It seems as though they can be added to every attack.
Actually, Opportunity Attacks are a reaction. How to Play, page 12, Movement in Combat, Opportunity Attacks.
Yep, opportunity attacks and parry are both reactions and both will allow you to use the full extent of the MDD. This is useful in both cases to allow proper scaling of the abilities with the level. That is ot allows parry to scale up every time you gain an MDD, and allows you to deal proper full damage when attacking on opportunity attacks.
Ah, I obviously did not notice that before.
My players are up to level 3 and I have been incorrectly only recharging their MDD on the start of their turn. They have yet to save their dice for Parry, probably because if they don't get hit, they will have lost an opportunity to use this resource. This reluctance may be reasoning behind the designed recharging of MDDs for reactions. During our next session, I will correct this and I expect to see a lot more Parrying. The next question will be whether this imbalances the encounters.
My players are up to level 3 and I have been incorrectly only recharging their MDD on the start of their turn. They have yet to save their dice for Parry, probably because if they don't get hit, they will have lost an opportunity to use this resource. This reluctance may be reasoning behind the designed recharging of MDDs for reactions. During our next session, I will correct this and I expect to see a lot more Parrying. The next question will be whether this imbalances the encounters.

I think that particular issue is remedied by allowing the dice to instead refresh at the end of the turn instead of the start. That'd remove the necessity of needing to guess how many dice you'd need for defense.
The intention was that it refreshed on the player's turn. Some people interpreted it as 'every turn,' and Mike said that while that may be hyper-technicality correct, it was not the intention. I'd run it as the intention and not as the wording-abuse.

Um, no, Mike did not say that. What Mike said is that they refresh every turn, and you get to use all of them on your reaction. He wrote a number of articles where he explicitly said it was his intention to change the game that way. Then he changed the game that way. Then some people didn't believe that the game had been changed that way. Then Mike Tweeted that the game indeed been changed that way. So, I have no idea where you are coming up with that version of events, but it is flat out untrue. 

And yes, they do refresh every turn. There is resource management in the sense of choosing what you want to do on any given turn or with any given reaction. But, you do not have to manage your dice between your turn and a reaction. Personally, I like it the way it is now.  

Thankfully, the newest packet has the clarification for MDD refresh, but it is currently only written for the Barbarian.  I imagine, if they want to keep it this way, we will see the clarification propagated throughout the rest of the classes, but make sure to, right now, play all of the classes as if they had this change explicitly written.
That's one way to look at it. Another would be that the barbarian refreshes more often than the fighter does, making it a differentiator between the classes.

Clearly, we REALLY need the devs to chime in on this issue and actually be clear and thorough this time.

I'm running lengthy playtest sessions several times a week, and my personal view on the subject is that for most classes, the pool of MDDs should only refresh at the start of the player's turn, leaving them with the tactical decision of whether they should save some of their juice for a Parry or a maneuver. In my games, I think letting everyone have all the MDDs all the time would really hurt encounter balance.
I think that particular issue is remedied by allowing the dice to instead refresh at the end of the turn instead of the start. That'd remove the necessity of needing to guess how many dice you'd need for defense.

If I understand, this would be functionally the same as refreshing at the start of the next player or monster's turn, but easier to understand. I prefer your phrasing. I am going to try this next time and hope for balance. The players are entering a very challenging area and will be outnumbered in combat, so this is a good time to buff them a bit.

If I understand, this would be functionally the same as refreshing at the start of the next player or monster's turn, but easier to understand. I prefer your phrasing. I am going to try this next time and hope for balance. The players are entering a very challenging area and will be outnumbered in combat, so this is a good time to buff them a bit.

Maybe.

What I was trying to say was that you could give a player their pool of dice at the end of their turn, allow them to use it toward reactions, then allow them to use what is left during their next turn. At the end of that turn, they'd then get a fresh batch of dice.

It is not intended to allow a fresh batch for both the action and the reaction.
Oh, I get it. Turn the timing around, defense first. Intriguing. I like that better, if we're not using a fresh batch for the reaction--which I suspect is the official word now. I wish the devs would chime in and settle this.
The only other consideration is the start of combat if you are using the idea that MDD refresh at the end of a player's turn. 

At the start of combat, you could either rule they get all their dice, or you could rule that they only get 1 die.  Limiting it to 1 die at the beginning of combat is like simulating the initial moment of chaos, when people are unsure how to proceed and can't fully defend or attack until they get into a better "flow" as it were.  Either way, make sure to mention what happens at the beginning of combat as well =).
Having all MDD for each turn (whether it is yours, another players or a foe) isn't as OP as it seems. You can only take one reaction a round, so you only get your MDD on your turn and possibly one other turn during the round if you take a reaction.

That's one way to look at it. Another would be that the barbarian refreshes more often than the fighter does, making it a differentiator between the classes.

Clearly, we REALLY need the devs to chime in on this issue and actually be clear and thorough this time.

I'm running lengthy playtest sessions several times a week, and my personal view on the subject is that for most classes, the pool of MDDs should only refresh at the start of the player's turn, leaving them with the tactical decision of whether they should save some of their juice for a Parry or a maneuver. In my games, I think letting everyone have all the MDDs all the time would really hurt encounter balance.

No. It is not one way to look at it. It is the only way to look at it. Nowhere does it say that the dice refresh once per round. Nowhere does it say that the dice refresh once per your turn. It says only that the dice refresh once per turn. The noun turn is not modified by the adjective your ANYWHERE in the rules. And, the devs have been VERY clear on the issue. Mike Mearls has explicitly stated that you get your full use of your MDD dice pool on a reaction via Twiter. Before changing the rules, he wrote an L&L article where he stated that he was planning to make that change in the future. Reading it any other way is imposing a house rule. At this stage of the game, doing that does not help them with the playtest. People ought to be playing it as intended and then providing feedback on the result.

No. It is not one way to look at it. It is the only way to look at it. Nowhere does it say that the dice refresh once per round. Nowhere does it say that the dice refresh once per your turn. It says only that the dice refresh once per turn. The noun turn is not modified by the adjective your ANYWHERE in the rules. And, the devs have been VERY clear on the issue. Mike Mearls has explicitly stated that you get your full use of your MDD dice pool on a reaction via Twiter. Before changing the rules, he wrote an L&L article where he stated that he was planning to make that change in the future. Reading it any other way is imposing a house rule. At this stage of the game, doing that does not help them with the playtest. People ought to be playing it as intended and then providing feedback on the result.

It also explicitly states this in the MDD writeup of the barbarian.

What you call explicit isn't necessarily so explicit. I know what Mearls said. I also saw the way the question was posed to him, so I'm not completely sure that his answer is for the question you're asking. He said that you can use all your dice on your reaction, yes. But he didn't say that you could do so after using them all on your action that same round. I understand that he may, in fact, be saying exactly what you think he's saying, but you should realize there really are more ways to look at it, even if you can't see them.

Also, I've read every Legends and Lore article, and I don't think his advertised intention was so clear, either (though I can't seem to find the reference at the moment, so I'm ready to be corrected on this by someone who actually links to it).

I agree that we all need to play as close to correctly as we can in order to keep the playtest valid, so I look forward to more clarity on this issue. 
Sign In to post comments