Sharuum The Hegemon Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi

I am working on a Sharuum the Hegemon deck, but I need to cut some cards.  EDIT: updated deck list in post #7.

Mana base: 

= 34 Lands (I think I need a few more basics here)

[deck]1 Obelisk of Esper
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Mind Stone
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Mox Opal
1 Mistvein Borderpost
1 Fieldmist Borderpost[/deck]
= 8 Artifacts

[deck]1 Grand Architect
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Leaden Myr
1 Silver Myr[/deck]
= 5 Creatures

Creatures:
[deck]1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Enigma Sphinx
1 Filigree Angel
1 Ethersworn Adjudicator
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Magister Sphinx
1 Sphinx Summoner
1 Thopter Assembly
1 Sharding Sphinx
1 Indomitable Archangel
1 Esperzoa[/deck]
= 13 beaters

[deck]
1 Spellskite
1 Esper Battlemage
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Evil Twin
1 Sanctum Gargoyle
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Metallurgeon
1 Meddling Mage
1 Master Transmuter
1 Master of Etherium
1 Hex Parasite
1 Sludge Strider
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Treasure Mage
1 Trinket Mage[/deck]  
= 15 utility creatures

Other Spells:
[deck]1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Jace Beleren
1 Venser, the Sojourner[/deck]
= 4 Planeswalkers

[deck]1 Staff of Nin
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Scourglass
1 Spine of Ish Sah
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Day of Judgment
1 Sever the Bloodline
1 Brittle Effigy
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Path to Exile
1 Dispatch
1 Helvault[/deck]
= 12 removal

[deck]1 Frantic Salvage
1 Golem's Heart
1 Fabricate
1 Time Sieve
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Mask of Riddles
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Open the Vaults
1 Argivian Restoration
1 Tempered Steel
1 Esper Charm[/deck] 
= 11 other spells 

= 102 cards total 

So I need to cut 3 cards, and ideally I want to make enough room for a few more basic lands too (so maybe cut 6 cards total?).

Any suggestions?

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
- golem's heart
- thousand year elixar
- o-ring
- esper battlemage
- leaden myr
- silver myr

+ lightning greaves
+ 2 basic lands

sry to be brief but im outta time to give explanations 
I agree with ReveillarkAbusers suggestions. First off, mana base is the best spot to fix any EDH deck. I know you know that better duals equals a better mana base, so I will skip those suggestions; yet, I will suggest 38 total land because you have little to no ramp.
-Rupture Spire Never pay mana for land.
+Academy Ruins
+Bojuka Bog before you Open the Vaults.
Take out these mana fixing artifacts because they do not ramp:
-Obelisk of Esper
-Prophetic Prism
-Mistvein Borderpost
-Fieldmist Boderpost
+Azorius Signet
+Orzhov Signet
+Dimir Sigent
I will highly suggest Sol Ring, Chromatic Lantern, Gilded Lotus, Doubling CubeVoltaic KeySensei's Divining Top, Mind's EyeBlinkmoth Urn, Mimic Vat and Sculpting Steel; I am sure you would auto-include those if you had the chance.
As for creatures, take out Esper Battle Mage and Meddling Mage for starters, but there are others I would suggest to take out.
+Platinum Angel plus boots is annoying
+Pentavus is a great battle trick creature
And...
-Helvault If you're paying that much mana with a tap ability to exile, you should be taking it out permanently.
+Path to Exile because ReveillarkAbuser took out Oblivion Ring.
Depending on your play group, take out Blightsteel Colossus and Darksteel Colossus (DsC with less priority, because you don't want to see Bribery pick him up turn five.
Add two more board wipes, flush out the deck from win conditions and win more cards; plus, re-evaluate the Thopther token sub-theme. You need draw, tutoring and/or draw manipulation which U and B do best.  Good luck brewing.
Baleful Strix should have a home here.
A couple of things stand out to me.

1) You have an awesome reanimating general, but no ways to discard artifacts for her. Your ways of getting artifacts in the graveyard are
a) draw too many cards somehow and discard at EOT
b) esper charm yourself using discard mode
c) cast them first and have them die 

Those options suck! (C) is the only one that's realistically going to happen, and then you're never expriencing the awesomeness of bullying the table with a sphinx of the steel wind long before anyone has 8 mana. Part of what makes sharuum sweet is turning a expensive artifact into a 6-drop that's twinned with a 5/5 flying commander. And with the type of ramp this deck is capable of, sharuum can often be cast turn 4.

You should be playing cards like thirst for knowledge, intuition, entomb, fact or fiction, etc....things that give you profitable ways of putting juicy targets in your yard, thus making your general a real show-stopper.

2) to compound #1, you have several redundant cards that do the same thing sharuum does, but are generally worse at the job...eg: frantic salvage, sanctum gargoyle, open the vaults, argivian restoration...that's a lot of cards that only do something good if you have good targets in the yard for them. And given that you have access to sharuum evert game, I really don't think you need this redundancy. I'd cut all of those cards...except maybe open the vaults as a late-game bomb (although personally I'd switch it out for roar of reclamation).

3) your ramp package is kind of unexciting. 3-mana artifacts that only provide 1 mana are very much below-par. I'd cut them all (I count 4) for dimir signet, orzhov signet, azorius signet, and perhaps some 'bigger' ramp cards, like thran dynamo or gilded lotus. And I don't see etherium sculptor being all that great for you, it's not often that you'll be playing multiple artifacts in the same turn. This, combined with the inability to play reanimator, makes all the really expensive artifacts in your deck (the collosi, inkwell, etc) pretty mediocre, as it'll take you well into late-game before you can play them, and then by the time you do, other people are already doing similarly powerful things anyway (or more powerful...).

I mean seriously, my sharuum deck outramps dedicated green ramp decks. I get that you may not have access to older broken cards like sol ring, crypt, monolith, vault, workshop, tomb, etc....but you can still tighten up your ramp package by turning the 3-drops into 2 drops and getting a few big jumpers.

There are a lot of card choices I'd nitpick...but those are my major design concerns.
- golem's heart
- thousand year elixar
- o-ring
- esper battlemage
- leaden myr
- silver myr

+ lightning greaves
+ 2 basic lands

sry to be brief but im outta time to give explanations 

I dont think my recommendations need much explanation save the o-ring cut. Its a decent card if you have a: sun titan, b:are mono white or c: on a tight budget and have no other way to pseudo-vindicate something (which is why i jam it into most decks because Im broke and and my paths/stps are tied up in other decks, but even then i try to jam sun-**** into the same deck to at least get some mileage out of it) 

Baleful Strix should have a home here.

they need to get another printing of this dude pronto, seriously 11-15 bucks a pop? I get its now big in the legacy scene but seriously.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

OK, I did a bit of trading at the Pre-release last weekend, and I have tweaked the deck. This is the current version:

Commander: Sharuum the Hegemon

Mana base: 

= 36 Lands (I think this is OK now)

[deck]1 Obelisk of Esper
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Mox Opal
1 Mistvein Borderpost
1 Fieldmist Borderpost[/deck]
= 7 Artifacts

[deck]1 Grand Architect
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Leaden Myr
1 Silver Myr[/deck]
= 5 Creatures

Creatures:
[deck]
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Darksteel Colossus
1 Enigma Sphinx
1 Filigree Angel
1 Ethersworn Adjudicator
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Magister Sphinx
1 Glassdust Hulk
1 Thopter Assembly
1 Sharding Sphinx
[/deck]
= 12 beaters

[deck]1 Indomitable Archangel
1 Esperzoa
1 Sphinx Summoner
1 Spellskite
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Evil Twin
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Metallurgeon
1 Meddling Mage
1 Master Transmuter
1 Master of Etherium
1 Sludge Strider
1 Tidehollow Sculler
1 Treasure Mage
1 Trinket Mage[/deck]  
= 15 utility creatures

Other Spells:
[deck]1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Jace Beleren
1 Venser, the Sojourner[/deck]
= 4 Planeswalkers

[deck]1 Staff of Nin
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Scourglass
1 Spine of Ish Sah
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Day of Judgment
1 Sever the Bloodline
1 Brittle Effigy
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Path to Exile
1 Dispatch[/deck]
= 11 removal

[deck]1 Fabricate
1 Time Sieve
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Mask of Riddles
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Open the Vaults
1 Argivian Restoration
1 Tempered Steel
1 Esper Charm[/deck] 
= 9 other spells 

= 99 cards total 

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments