Forgotten Lore's rulings

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Forgotten Lore

10/4/2004 It does not target the opponent, but you choose an opponent to do the targeting.
10/1/2008 You target an opponent when you cast Forgotten Lore (...)

So does it target or not?
According to the oracle text of the card, you target an opponent, but the card chosen in your graveyard is not targetted.  Seems like the 2004 ruling is obsolete, but it would be good to get confirmation of that.  I don't know if it's policy to leave obsolete rulings up or remove them.

Cheers
The 2004 ruling appears out of date. The current Oracle wording backs up the 2008 rulings. Given how old the card is, it's understandable.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
FL only targets the opponent. If you somehow inform some member of the Wizards staff, they will soon delete this oudated ruling.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Rulings dated 10/4/2004 were imported from Crystalkeep on that date.

The ruling now says this/
It targets the opponent. But it didn't until errata on 2007/02/01. [D'Angelo 2007/02/04]

So there you have it. The ruling in question was invalidated in 2007.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
If you somehow inform some member of the Wizards staff, they will soon delete this oudated ruling.

MattT seems to be paying attention to the Gatherer Oddities and Errors (again) thread in RT&T.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
If you somehow inform some member of the Wizards staff, they will soon delete this oudated ruling.

MattT seems to be paying attention to the Gatherer Oddities and Errors (again) thread in RT&T.

Also, Avodemni is the NetRep for Gatherer and maintains the Gatherer rulings.  I've had good success notfying via PM.

I also monitor the Rules Theory and Templating Forum, but sometimes I miss threads so a PM is the best way to make sure that errors in the Gatherer Rulings will be fixed.

Forgotten Lore's 2004 ruling will be removed with the next update. It was a general ruling assigned to Forgotten Lore, Null Chamber, Fatal Lore, and Cuombajj Witches. All of those cards will have the ruling removed or updated.