Recommend me a Title

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well guys I'm enjoying 4E very very much... However I'm thinking of changing games after I finish my current campaign, been running 4E games for a long time already. 

I've liked 4E, however I like games that let you customize characters to the core. I mean, I've tried 3.5 but I don't feel that's REALLY what I want.
I mean, I like class systems, but I want I dunno... more classes than only the D&D classics, I mean, is there even a class that focus on beast/pet/monster usage instead of the character you make?

I'm looking for new systems guys. 
Okay, since D20 Modern is 3e based that's probably out of the picture.  Alternity is more so a skill based game that has a more science fiction route.  It still has professions, if that's what you want.  I really recommend it, especially since its settings are great.  There's also Savage Worlds, a great generic RPG that's easy to tinker with as well as containing tons of excellent settings to choose from.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Well guys I'm enjoying 4E very very much... However I'm thinking of changing games after I finish my current campaign, been running 4E games for a long time already. 

I've liked 4E, however I like games that let you customize characters to the core. I mean, I've tried 3.5 but I don't feel that's REALLY what I want.
I mean, I like class systems, but I want I dunno... more classes than only the D&D classics, I mean, is there even a class that focus on beast/pet/monster usage instead of the character you make?

I'm looking for new systems guys. 

There's the pet monster trainer from d20 Big Eyes Small Mouth, but that's basically Pokemon.

--Chris
Although it is out of print I'd almost recommend StarWars SAGA Edition.  It is something between 4e and 3e in that there is a lot of streamlining compared to 3e but you still have a lot more customization options then 4e game you.  In SWSE there are only five base classes (their names are unimportant but sometime trip people up) but each of them has many ways they can be customized AND they can also be freely combined (multiclassed) to give you even more freedom.  That's all before you hit the various 2nd-tier (or Prestige) classes; you can't take most PrCs before 8th-level but there are so many different ways to get there it is difficult to put a number on.

Although it is out of print I'd almost recommend StarWars SAGA Edition.  It is something between 4e and 3e in that there is a lot of streamlining compared to 3e but you still have a lot more customization options then 4e game you.  In SWSE there are only five base classes (their names are unimportant but sometime trip people up) but each of them has many ways they can be customized AND they can also be freely combined (multiclassed) to give you even more freedom.  That's all before you hit the various 2nd-tier (or Prestige) classes; you can't take most PrCs before 8th-level but there are so many different ways to get there it is difficult to put a number on.

I'm on board with the Saga Edition: it's fairly versatile (as long as you don't mind a scifi); it tends not to be wealth/item driven to any overt extent; and it has a fairly limited number of classes to cut down a bit on power gaming.

Those things said, there is the whole setting thing you need to be careful of. I use the system for the mechanics, and set my events a few thousand to a few million years in the future. Also, you have to be willing to let your players know that very little in the way of "new toys" will come there way: 1st level items are the same as 20th, except for some modifications to lightsabers. Finally, the ships don't work all that well as combat vehicles. Be ready to muster that system around.

Lastly, you could play some Mutants and Masterminds (www.mutantsandmasterminds.com, www.d20herosrd.com). Versatile, very open, and it offers the chance to do something a bit on the goofier side.