Cowardly Elf

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: updated

Cowardly Elf
Creature - Coward
: Add to your mana pool.
If any opponent would add or to his or her mana pool. Exile ~, search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped, shuffle your library.
0/1

The idea for this card comes from experience of playing.

Along similar lines.

Unstable Elf-stone
Artifact
: Add to your mana pool.
If ~ would be destroyed, instead exile ~, search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped, shuffle your library.
Cowardly Elf isn't an Elf? Tongue Out

Most of the time it's just a Llanowar Elves, but sometimes it's a cheap Rampant Growth. Seems good but not ridiculous. What is the second "Search your library..."?
Rules Advisor
Thanks.

I think it's more balanced without elf type as well.

The 2nd was a typo.
I never run elf tribal so i think this would have to be a 0/1 as well as not an elf to be balanced...

"PEOPLE DO THINGS FOR A REASON"

- Dave Shedden

Purphoros' Tokens

Dimir all the way

You're probably right, updated.
If its not an elf, then don't call it an elf. Call it "Cowardly Birds" or something. 
looks like a dinosuar to me, how did it survive?

anyway nice idea, chase after the elf to find a new land
Don't go with "if" replacement effects. Just make a triggered ability. Which, by the way, has an awkward trigger. Especially because red is an ally to green.

It's awkward that your opponent can exile it at anytime. Imagine you drew this as your chump blocker. Also, make it optional to search. It's bad enough that the creature goes when you don't want it to. You don't want your opponents to easily mess up your Ponder, right?

Finally, venturing into "pretty much better than Llanowar Elves" is not something I like very much.

Cowardly Elf
Creature - Coward
: Add :G: to your mana pool.
When an opponent adds :B: or :R: to his or her mana pool, exile CARDNAME. If you do, you may search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
1/1 
Why black and red? Why not blue and black?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Because I'm trying to avoid making it strictly better than cards like Llanowar Elves I don't mind it having some weaknesses.

I could change the name but I don't like Cowardly Birds as a replacement.

I think of blue as once stuff is in play being more effects like Unsummon and Inaction Injunction, they are not so much of a problem agaisn't mana creatures as red burn spells (there are probably better examples than Shock) or black cards like Black Sun's Zenith.
If you're that worried about someone killing your mana elves, you could just give it shroud...
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
Somewhat clunky to give them all shroud and make it work in a deck, I'd prefer a card like this to exist, it's not perfect but it's not meant to be, it's just nice.
I just like symmetry.

As for strictly better than Llanowar Elves, we're there. Technically, a Prismatic Omen and Arbor Elf is enough to untap a Cabal Coffers or Gaea's Cradle or Crypt of Agadeem, potentially breaking the Elf.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt