The Far Realms?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a player who would like to have an adventure featuring the Far Realms. My problem is that I'm not sure where to find the 4e resources for this setting, it looks very undefined. I'm aware that the living gate is the access point for the Far Realms, which is in the astral sea. I know that the Far Realms is populated by Aberrations, but that's about it.

What resources would help me get my head around the Far Realm?
Well, you seem to already have all of the important things for the Far Realm(s) down: They're a mysterious place or places where the rules of reality are different, where the physiologies of Cthulhu and the other Old Ones make evolutionary sense. Their entire point is to be a Lovecraftian void upon which mortal eyes cannot set eyes upon due to their uncomprehensibility and the fact that they'll drive you insane in mere moments anyway.
Well, you seem to already have all of the important things for the Far Realm(s) down: They're a mysterious place or places where the rules of reality are different, where the physiologies of Cthulhu and the other Old Ones make evolutionary sense. Their entire point is to be a Lovecraftian void upon which mortal eyes cannot set eyes upon due to their uncomprehensibility and the fact that they'll drive you insane in mere moments anyway.

So does that mean that there's nothing officially concrete about the Far Realms, and I just make everything up?
The D&D Far Realms obviously doesn't use the exact same 'beings' as Lovecraft's universe, just similar concepts, but if you use the same kind of theme then you're pretty much set. Do bear in mind that D&D characters aren't apt to automatically go insane/run off in a panic/etc when dealing with such things, though - the residents of a D&D world know that these things ARE.
Have you read Dream Quest of Unknown Kladath?
So does that mean that there's nothing officially concrete about the Far Realms, and I just make everything up?

Pretty much, yes.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
The D&D Far Realms obviously doesn't use the exact same 'beings' as Lovecraft's universe, just similar concepts, but if you use the same kind of theme then you're pretty much set. Do bear in mind that D&D characters aren't apt to automatically go insane/run off in a panic/etc when dealing with such things, though - the residents of a D&D world know that these things ARE.

I have downloaded as many lovecraft images as my google skills will get me. The mindflayer is a common image and tenticales. Anything else that would be helpful?
The Daelkyr from Eberron.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals  |  Full-Contact Futbol   |   Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs  |  Re-Imagining Phandelver  |  Three Pillars of Immersion

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Avoid the conventional when dealing with the Far Realm. Not everything dealing with the plane needs to be gross, disturbing or demented. Even that which is beautiful can still be weird. Pick the brains of the players through unexpected twists and turns, and never let conventions define the content. The place should be both horrible and wondrous in equal measure, and always alien from the view of people.

Hope this helps. Happy Gaming
The Daelkyr from Eberron.

I checked out Daelkyr, not sure what I can do with it yet.

ToeSama, I'll pick the brains of my players, but it did occur to me that 'The Twilight Zone' series might have some elements that I could use. That's a world of horror and wonder.
There we go. Now you're thinking with portals