Sagathia - Mightier than the sword

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Judicious Debate
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you cast a white and/or blue spell, put a script counter on Judicious Debate.
Sacrifice Judicious Debate: Counter target noncreature spell unless its controller pays 1 for each script counter on Judicious Debate.

Perplexing Thesis
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you cast a blue and/or black spell, put a script counter on Perplexing Thesis.
Sacrifice Perplexing Thesis: Target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is twice the number of script counters on Perplexing Thesis.

Caustic Tirade
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you cast a black and/or red spell, put a script counter on Caustic Tirade.
Sacrifice Caustic Tirade: Caustic Tirade deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of script counters on Caustic Tirade.

Brilliant Lyric
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you cast a red and/or green spell, put a script counter on Brilliant Lyric.
Sacrifice Brilliant Lyric: Add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool, where X is the number of script counters on Brilliant Lyric.

Eloquent Censure
Enchantment (Uncommon)
Whenever you cast a green and/or white spell, put a script counter on Eloquent Censure.
Sacrifice Eloquent Censure: Destroy up to X target artifacts and/or enchantments, where X is the number of script counters on Eloquent Censure.

I don't usually post cycles because there are always one or two cards in the cycle that I don't like.  And this one's not much different  Feels a bit too close to New Phyrexia's cycle of Shrines.  I hope to get some other eyes on it.

This might seem like it breaks the monocolored theme of Sagathia, but each of these cards is just as strong in a deck with just one color as it is in a deck that uses both colors.  Two colored decks are allowed, but there's no special push towards them like there was in Shadowmoor.  And if I'm going to be using hybrid cards in the set, then the hybrids need to pull their weight in the "color matters" theme too.

Side note:  I always like to provide art to go with the cards I design.  But the flavor of Sagathia is pushing away from traditional fantasy, which means it's getting very difficult to find artwork that reflects the world properly.  With card concepts like this in the set (along with civilized Goblin scholars, magical sports, and lecture halls) I might follow the example of others in this forum (thinking of CKY's awesome Solphos setting) and rely on flavor text and card names to carry the weight instead.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Actually, it reminds me of the song enchantments, except faster.
Your text got small, but your cards got nice.
Huh, I wasn't even aware of Serra's Liturgy when I designed that card...
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Caustic Tirade is both underpowered and also not really black at all. I would change it so it did an equivilant amount of damage to that creature's controller, because you are going through a lot of effort for some mediocre creature removal currently.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Black/Red is a weird color combination. Both colors are good at creature destruction, so that should be a strong point of overlap between them. But the specific mechanics used by the two colors are so distinct that it's hard to make a hybrid that doesn't feel off color. I considered making it +X/-X instead, but that didn't feel right either. Damage may be a bit unusual in Black, but I think as long as the end result is the destruction of a creature it's not too serious a bleed.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just getting sloppy.
Caustic Tirade looks perfectly fine to me. It's the () and () ones that are unplayable IMO; the effects are simply too narrow to see any serious use.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Huh, I wasn't even aware of Serra's Liturgy when I designed that card...

There're ten of them, two cycles at uncommon and rare.

Caustic Tirade is fine, even though I'm still not used to seeing that on black cards. 
Caustic Tirade is both underpowered and also not really black at all. I would change it so it did an equivilant amount of damage to that creature's controller, because you are going through a lot of effort for some mediocre creature removal currently.

Now changing it to "deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures or players".  Also adding an activation cost, just to add the so-called "shields down" moment once in a while.

CKY- Most of the other color-matters cards for white and green are constructive rather than disruptive, so I shied away from effects like token-making or creature-pumping.  Same for blue/black, which was originally using something very similar to Shrine of Piercing Vision.  I agree, it does feel weird to have them so narrow compared to the more flexible entries in the cycle.

I thought of giving blue/black the ability to cast an instant or sorcery with mana cost X or less from a graveyard, but I didn't like how quickly it maxed out its usefulness.  It's pretty strong with just two or three counters, and it doesn't need much more than that.  It's a fun effect though.
Your text got small, but your cards got nice.

But you should never drop a font size in YMTC. ;)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments