WotC, please ditch the new Halfling art

The giant headed cartoonish halflings are horrible. Please come up with something else.  Same for the weird gnomes. 

I could say a lot of negative about the new art, but it's acceptable without the halflings. 

Thank you. 

P.S. If any other poster agrees, post here to make WotC aware of it.  
I thought the Lightfoot worked out very well. The strongheart are kinda...meh.
My two copper.
Agree with you about the halflings. Like the gnome, though. While we're at it, it looks silly to have realistically proportioned swords alongside oversized axes. The axes should go.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

Horrible halflings, ridiculously huge axes.
President of the OTTer Research Council on the Universe
i've hated the halflings since that panel at Gencon.

i'm firmly in the "back to the drawing board" camp. 
I too have to declare my dislike for the current direction of Halflings. I'd much prefer a return to a more standard version of the race.
This poses the question, what should be done to improve the halflings?

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

i think microhumans are the way to go. the art team decided that halfings should look funny without consulting the community. this was a huge mistake.

if you watch the lord of the rings movies, the hobbits only look small when you're reminded that they are. i think this is perfect. the fact that halfings are small should be central to their identity, but it shouldn't be this ever-present cloud that needs to be shoved in your face during every depiction.

It's the tiny feet. I don't like the tiny feet. 

They kind of remind me of the pointy triangle feet Rob Liefeld drew, I'll say that.

Anyway, you're saying change the feet to look less tiny?

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
The Orc art is worse than the halflings.

i think microhumans are the way to go. the art team decided that halfings should look funny without consulting the community. this was a huge mistake.

if you watch the lord of the rings movies, the hobbits only look small when you're reminded that they are. i think this is perfect. the fact that halfings are small should be central to their identity, but it shouldn't be this ever-present cloud that needs to be shoved in your face during every depiction.

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. I think that halflings should be differently proportioned, at least a little bit. It might just be me, but in 3.5 - the edition where they're the most micro-humany - they don't read as halflings much at all when they're alone, and - at least for me - when they're depicted alongside humans, the humans read as giants while the halflings read as humans. I don't know why that's the case; I've played games for years with halflings and humans and so I'm very used to imagining halfings and humans alongside each other, but most 3.5 art gets initially resolved by my brain as "a picture of a human and a giant" rather than "a picture of a halfling and a human."

I think the trick is figuring out the sweet spot in terms of limb length, head size (especially width) and eye size that conveys small while still looking "realistic". (If the art in general is heavily exaggerated, then giant heads look more okay, I think.) 4e's Gnomes, for example, fall reasonably close to this sweet spot for me. I don't think anyone can fairly call their proportions cartoony, but they still read as small. Careful work with things like the shape of the nose and jaw and the girth of the limbs make it clear that you're not just looking at a freaky child.

Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
It's absolutely puzzling to me that people don't like the new Halfling art. Do they look silly and ridiculous? Absolutely. That's exactly why they're perfect for Halflings. Silly and ridiculous is what Halflings are. A Halfling that isn't silly and ridiculous is just a short person. As far as I'm concerned, no other Halfling art has ever so perfectly captured the spirit of the Halfling.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I too have to declare my dislike for the current direction of Halflings. I'd much prefer a return to a more standard version of the race.

Define "standard"? 1-2e standard or 3-4 standard?

I never liked the micro-humans because it quickly made halflings invisible in the art except for group shots. Every halfling was just a human unless you looked closely. 
Plus shrinking down a human means their brain is a quarter to half the size of a full grown human, which doesn't say much for halflings in terms of brain power. 

This was because actors refused to have their heads surgically enlarged so they could act in a movie. Prior art for hobbits always had them with distorted proportions. 

Halflings should look small and be distinct. When you look at a picture of a rogue you should instantly tell they're a halfling. 
Look at all the halfling art we have:
1  2  3  4  5
Not one of the pieces has a human-sized object to tell scale. The mushrooms maybe, but if those were 3e-4e halflings you wouldn't know if you were looking at art of halflings or people in a giant fungal forest. Each one of those pieces, of the halfling were just a micro human, would be glanced at and the viewer would go "oh, humans" and move on. 

Halflings should be identifiable as halflings. And the best way to do that is play with porportions.

I don't think they're perfect. The heads are a tad too large. But it's a step in the right direction.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Either one would be preferable to the DDN version. I'm not picky.
Yeah, put me down for not liking the new halfling art.  For me, it's not a matter of it being too "cartoonish" or anything.  Those oversized heads just look weird and offputting.  They're like a very, very mild version of body horror.
While I prefer the "hobbit-esque" halfling, I don't think that the 5e concept art was that bad for them. The proportions give them a distinct identity.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

While I prefer the "hobbit-esque" halfling, I don't think that the 5e concept art was that bad for them. The proportions give them a distinct identity.

Not that I want pure hobbit to be back, but the feet don't match the rest of them, as ork mentioned.  If they tried to walk, they'd constantly fall flat on their big heads.  Maybe puff up their feet a little bit.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Not a fan of Next Halfling art neither, too cartoonish. #dndnext

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Either one would be preferable to the DDN version. I'm not picky.

The problem with hobbit art is two-fold.
1) It reminds people that halflings are very much a Tolkien rip-off. D&D does want to be its own game and reminding people of its inspirations too much doesn't help. And with a certain movie in theaters, reminding the Tolkien estate or D&D's idea theft is also not a good idea (and makes D&D seem like it's trying to ride on the popularity of The Hobbit). 
2) The problem with "hobbit" halflings is that it was notoriously awkward to justify them adventuring. There were too many Frodo and Bilbo clones. Likewise, too many people wanted to play heroic badass characters and plump homebodies weren't "cool" enough. 

And the 3e/4e version also has its problems. Specifically the aforementioned identical look to humans when divorced from scale. Less an issue for us but a huge issue for the people who make their living working on art. You can imagine it building to a boil over the last decade. And since they're the one who pick the art, I can accept them wanting to make art they don't hate and doesn't bug the crap out of them.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Aren't the D&D bearded Dwarf and the mithril wearing Elf also Tolkien rip-offs ?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

The DDN art proposals for stout halflings look like blatantly caricatured renditions of real-life humans with dwarfism.

How this makes them somehow 'distinct' from humans is a mystery to me.

Danny

They kind of remind me of the pointy triangle feet Rob Liefeld drew, I'll say that.

Yes, change the feet. They are way to small. I also, don't care for Liefeld's style.
Change the porportions of the feet. 

Yes, change the feet. They are way to small. I also, don't care for Liefeld's style.
Change the porportions of the feet. 

Most people don't care for Liefeld's style... and that's putting it nicely.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
It's absolutely puzzling to me that people don't like the new Halfling art. Do they look silly and ridiculous? Absolutely. That's exactly why they're perfect for Halflings. Silly and ridiculous is what Halflings are. A Halfling that isn't silly and ridiculous is just a short person.

But what if I don't want to play a silly and ridiculous Halfling? What if I want to be more like Belkar Bitterleaf than Bilbo Baggins? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

It's absolutely puzzling to me that people don't like the new Halfling art. Do they look silly and ridiculous? Absolutely. That's exactly why they're perfect for Halflings. Silly and ridiculous is what Halflings are. A Halfling that isn't silly and ridiculous is just a short person.

But what if I don't want to play a silly and ridiculous Halfling? What if I want to be more like Belkar Bitterleaf than Bilbo Baggins? 

Darksun halflings are anything but 'silly and ridiculous. Cannibalistic and that picture don't mix. I'd need a LOT of drugs to find those halfings good or likeable.

Your character can look and act however you want.  The 'official' art is utterly meaningless, and the default fluff is only a suggestion and can be altered at your discretion.

P.S. Dinosaur-riding halfling barbarians of the Talenta Plains FTFW.

Your character can look and act however you want.  The 'official' art is utterly meaningless, and the default fluff is only a suggestion and can be altered at your discretion.

P.S. Dinosaur-riding halfling barbarians of the Talenta Plains FTFW.

True, you can just throw out the image and make your halfling anyway you want. The issue though is the turn off factor. If someone's thumbing through the books at the bookstore, these pictures are going to be a negative. I think they'd rather try to attract people instead.

It's absolutely puzzling to me that people don't like the new Halfling art. Do they look silly and ridiculous? Absolutely. That's exactly why they're perfect for Halflings. Silly and ridiculous is what Halflings are. A Halfling that isn't silly and ridiculous is just a short person. As far as I'm concerned, no other Halfling art has ever so perfectly captured the spirit of the Halfling.

for some reason in my mind it are the gnomes that tend to look silly and ridiculous.

When i saw this pic the first time the thought going trough my head was o that is a realy nice look for a gnome rogue, only found out later it was suposed to be a halfling.

but i might have a bias as i realy like dragonlance when you say halfling the first image that comes to my mind is a dragonlance kender. 

for some reason in my mind it are the gnomes that tend to look silly and ridiculous.

When i saw this pic the first time the thought going trough my head was o that is a realy nice look for a gnome rogue, only found out later it was suposed to be a halfling.

but i might have a bias as i realy like dragonlance when you say halfling the first image that comes to my mind is a dragonlance kender. 

That cut of armor and blouse is not really going to be all that ideal for theivery.  If you need to make a quick getaway, you want something that provides a bit more support.  The cheesecake armor look is kind of ridiculous be it on a halfling, gnome, or whatever.
Holy huge head batman! How often does she have to fill her head with helium to keep from breaking her neck? Either that or she has one heck of a neck...
Anyone point me towards this hideous new art?

While art and descriptions are considered fluff, they define your mental image of the creature and can affect the way the players and DM roleplaying quite easily. 

A silly looking creature will have one reaction while a scary looking creature would have a much different reaction. Pictures are therefore more than fluff. They are integral to roleplaying.

Dwarves have beards. Halflings have large hairy feet.  Elves have pointy ears.

I would add that reptiles, including kobolds (if they are reptillian) and dragonborn, need to have tails.  

Art creates roleplaying and is therefore important in building the game.

To me, art, videos, and music are more important than dozens of splat books.  They just need to fit into adventures. 
Head. Pants. Now.

Check first post. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

While art and descriptions are considered fluff, they define your mental image of the creature and can affect the way the players and DM roleplaying quite easily. 

A silly looking creature will have one reaction while a scary looking creature would have a much different reaction. Pictures are therefore more than fluff. They are integral to roleplaying.

I would add that reptiles, including kobolds (if they are reptillian) and dragonborn, need to have tails.  

To me, art, videos, and music are more important than dozens of splat books.  They just need to fit into adventures. 

conceptopolis.deviantart.com/gallery/266...
From the post "D&D Next Forgotten Realms Concept Art on Deviant Art"

My players hated Bards for years due to the art in the 1995 PHB for 2nd ed. It wasn't until 2005/6 when a PC broke one in3.5 they changed their minds.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the Mind Killer  

Why are the sahuagin, Kuo-toa, and yuanti listed as lizard monsters?   2 are fish-like and one is snake-like.

Agreed about the halflings. Big heads and little feet are stupid. Hate it.
Why are the sahuagin, Kuo-toa, and yuanti listed as lizard monsters?   2 are fish-like and one is snake-like.

While I agree that snakes are technically reptiles, not lizards, I'm willing to overlook it. The other two are fish though.

At least it's not anime.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

At least it's not anime.

I'll take anime over what there is now.

I prefer anime.