Cards to Reprint in M14

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it too early to think about M14 yet? Well, maybe. Except that the newest flavor set (as of this posting, Gatecrash) isn't really working for me. So I will probably be taking a break from standard for a little bit. With that in mind, I'm looking at a few cards I'd like to see re-printed in M14.

Lightning Angel 

Sadly, Lightning Angel may not be strong enough to be a rare in standard anymore. If so, it would make a really powerful uncommon. Three-color cards aren't usually seen in core sets because they are difficult to play in limited. However, with the Ravnica lands being in standard for as long as M14 will be in standard, this card makes for a really good beater in a control deck. Presumably, new artwork would be required for this card to be reprinted.

Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel last appeared in 8th edition. With the Orzhov guild coming into promenince and Blood Artist still in standard, this card makes a lot of sense.  Fallen Angel is one of the better sacrifice outlets in Modern, given that this creatue can hit for a lot of damage all at once. It doesn't have haste, so at best, it will be swinging on turn 6. This is usually enough time in standard for someone to get the board state moving.

Rain of Gore

This card may yet be reprinted in Dragon's Maze. I hope it is. This card is far more relevant right now than Havoc Festival or Skullcrack. It makes Sphinx's Revelation and Centaur Healer difficult to cast. It will hose Rhox Faithmender decks for a little bit. Lifegain is everywhere in standard, largely due to Thragtusk. Lifegain decks will likely have other options even after Thragtusk rotates, so I would like to see this card printed.

Magus of the Moon

Land hosing? Land hosing. Blood Moon can be difficult to get rid of unless someone puts mana in their pool to respond instantly. Magus of the Moon is a perfect tool for red decks to stop control and Jund. Since it is a creature, it is vulnerable to all the things to creatures are vulnerable to. In this case, a Pillar of Flame effect.

Ambassador Laquatus

Mill decks need a bit of a boost. As of now, they're a tad bit slow (from what I can see). That could change as more cards are spoiled. Mind Grind and Increasing Confusion just aren't going to cut it. I'd like to see this card in standard as a way to turn mill into combo. For sealed play, he's well-balanced. His two blue symbols can make him hard to cast and he doesn't like to attack. In Modern, this guy likes to have Training Grounds. In standard, he needs infinite mana.

As far as I know, Dragon Arch has never been re-printed. Yet with the many multi-colored creatures everywhere, now might be a good time to do so. Its ability first becomes useful on turn 6, meaning that each player has had time to hardcast creatures by now. It's a little harder to get rid of, but if it does become a problem in any metagame, there's enough artifact removal to adjust accordingly.

Looking at alpha cards is fun. This guy was a rare. If re-printed, he'd probably be an uncommon. He's not very good for constructed play and is only marginally useful for sealed. Still, I like him.

With Bonfire rotating, players utilizing that card will have to turn elsewhere for their heavy-hitting spell. Bringing back Earthquake seems like a good idea. From what I remember of it in M10, it was a tier 2 card at best. It does a very good job in sealed, provided you don't catch the land screw flu.

Do any of you remember Blinding Angel? Anyone who gets this in sealed wins forever. Well...mostly forever. It's pretty good in constructed too.

I like that this guy is supposedly a human wizard, but he looks more like a cunning zombie from He Man and the Masters of the Universe. What's he doing there anyway...? In constructed, think Conjurer's Closet.

So...boros and rakdos are pretty strong in standard. So is Huntmaster and Hellrider. M13 has Akroma's Memorial, which is a little slow. I'd like to see this card as a hoser to burn decks, which are going to be more prominent with the printing of Boros Charm and Skullcrack.

Well, those are my ideas for today. How about the rest of you? Any thoughts on cards you'd like to see come back? 
I think Thragtusk could use a reprint.
I think Thragtusk could use a reprint.

I'm not opposed to having it come back, as long as there are options to offest his lifegain. The extra creature is fine, but the five life is harder to deal with.
I'd be pretty excited if Blood Moon got a reprint.

L1 Judge

Ornithopter wants a new art!
Cockatrice has a strange Oracle text that will probably stop it from being reprinted
proud member of the 2011 community team
Core sets don't include multicolour sets, except for Nicol Bolas as the exception. That said, I'd absolutely love to see Lightning Angel reprinted, well.... anywhere, In standard it would be obnoxious with Boros/Azorius aggro control, which could be fun.
I would love to see the  following cards being reprinted in M14:

[C]Cultivate[/C]
[C]Explore[/C]
[C]Wrath of God[/C]
[C]Birds of Paradise[/C]
[C]Flame Slash[/C]
[C]Angelic Destiny[/C]
[C]Liliana's Caress[/C]
[C]Rune-scarred Demon[/C]
[C]Hunter's Insight[/C]

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Ten new duals from the core sets and innistrad. 10 multicolored cards from the triples along the lines of the OP's lightning angel. Maybe not even reprints... maybe new cards.

3DH4LIF3

Honor of the Pure or even Glorious Anthem.

Also Lightning Bolt. Unlikely but I can hope.
Ten new duals from the core sets and innistrad. 10 multicolored cards from the triples along the lines of the OP's lightning angel. Maybe not even reprints... maybe new cards.

I would love (and really, would not be TOO surprised) to see the Innistrad Dual Lands in M14. That way, at least, all the guilds can keep their 2 duals. Either that or NO duals in M14, which seems a bit silly. 

As to the OP, I can see Dragon Arch in Dragon's Maze, actually. :o Ya know, the end to a multicolor set with Dragon in it's title. :D Definitely a high possibility on the reprint list, IMO. 
I would like to see cards like Grim Lavamancer, Fauna Shaman, Solemn Simulacrum, and Master of the Wild Hunt. I always hate when a good interesting card appears in a core set only once. I'd rather see stuff like those cards and Birds of Paradise reprinted each year in core sets than stuff like Reverberate.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Master of the Wild Hunt.

It's a shame they didn't reprint that while INN was in rotation - it would have made things fairly interesting, especially with cards like Kessig Cagebreaker/
I'd kill for Rites of Flourishing to return.
Cockatrice has a strange Oracle text that will probably stop it from being reprinted

Not that strange. The big problem is that it's the only creature that's made worse by flying, just because Lure.

Anarchist is a stupid name. If he did anything anarchy-like. Which...is kinda like the anarchists on campus.

Blinding Angel I really don't want reprinted. So soon after Bant Blink, no.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Cockatrice will likely never be reprinted. It's a flying green creature. A fairly effective flying green creature, if not game breaking. 
Dragon Arch could actually be reprinted in Dragon's Maze. It's ability definitely fits with Ravnica, and the flavor could be reconcepted as part of the maze itself. That said, it would probably be too good in control decks.
Rules Advisor
Cockatrice will likely never be reprinted. It's a flying green creature. A fairly effective flying green creature, if not game breaking. 

That said, their philosophy seems to be that green should never do combat damage to players.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
As a fan of black, there are some cards I would love to see get reprinted in the next core set. Here's a list: Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Doom Blade, Geth's Verdict, Oversold Cemetery, and Rotlung Reanimator. Just a few cards I think would fit well with the current and upcoming standard.

That said, their philosophy seems to be that green should never do combat damage to players.

"Not game breaking." My post wasn't exactly some esoteric read. 
Yeah, but it's not that effective, TBH. Actually, the basilisk ability is the only thing where evasion is inherently bad (because Lure).
139359831 wrote:
I'd like to see the Prized Elephant/Arctic Aven cycle reprinted. Or expanded, with another cycle that goes the opposite direction in he color pie. White creature, island bonus, blue creature, swamp bonus, etc.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Rancor.  It's everything an Aura should be, and I just couldn't bear to be without it.

Let's see:  Death Cloud, Hypnotic Specter, Mutilate, Day of Judgment, Birds of Paradise, Rancor, Inquisition of Kozilek, Mana Leak, a full set of fetch lands, Ernham Djinn, Gideon Jura, Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, Koth of the Hammer, Incinerate, Doom Blade, Faerie Conclave and the other original man lands, and I think that would make me happy.

Wizards will fail me on over half of that list though.  And they'll probably reprint Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite.

edit:  and Wildfire

giant spider
I'd like to see reprints of Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Painter's Servant, Pariah, Land Grant, Patron Wizard, Land Tax, Cloud of Faeries, Basilisk Collar, Thorn Elemental, Goblin Piledriver, Crypt Rats, Staff of Domination, Swords to Plowshares, City of Brass, Intruder Alarm, Elephant Grass, Vampire Hexmage or Worldgorger Dragon.

Colorful mix of staples, combo pieces and cards that just randomly crossed my mind. Some of them will never see reprints though.

Like mentioned before I'm always happy to see Ornithopter reprints, I hope he and Birds of Paradise will gain some new artwork in forseeable future. I'm quite sure both of them will return sooner or later.
Nobody would be too suprised to see Phantom Nishoba on my hidden wishlist (the place where Gaea's Cradle will slumber forever), but he's no core set material.
Would love to see Tendrils of Corruption and Corrupt getting a reprint.

Also, Duress is never a bad thing.
Magus of the Moon or Bloodmoon would...well, be far too powerful in the current Standard, way, way, way too powerful.

Would love to see Boomerang personally. 
Why are people arguing over the flying portion of Cockatrice? The reason Cockatrice (And Tangle Asp and others) will not be reprinted in a core set any time soon is that now that we have Deathtouch, Wizards is not interested in printing any 'deathtouch except not' type cards.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Dragon Arch? It would be a flavor win for Dragon's Maze, but with cards like Obzedat getting ready to hit Standard soon...well, maybe. Quicksilver Amulet was reprinted, after all. I'd like to see something that untaps lands as well as Mesmeric Orb reprinted to counter it. Perhaps a functional reprint of Urza's Filter to help support multicolor?

I would have preferred Koth of the Hammer take over as the red 'Walker of M14 as his Mountain focus would have worked well with RTR's shocklands but Chandra has been confirmed through the announcement art.

Here's a list of reprints I'd like to see, some of it probably wishful thinking but most of it chosen with RTR's mechanics and themes in mind:

I'd personally love to see the Prophecy Avatar Cycle reprinted again. The cycle includes:

Some of them are even good in constructed, others have not been formally reprinted. New art would be nice also.

My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Aside from individual cards what mechanic will be featured? M12 was scry. M13 had exalted. I don't know if it would be considered too complicated for a core set but cycling would be cool. Just the vanila style to draw a card, not crazy stuff.

Miscalculation, Unearth, Angelsong, Repopulate, Scrap
Aside from individual cards what mechanic will be featured? M12 was scry. M13 had exalted. I don't know if it would be considered too complicated for a core set but cycling would be cool. Just the vanila style to draw a card, not crazy stuff.

Miscalculation, Unearth, Angelsong, Repopulate, Scrap

For mechanics, I'm okay with revisiting buyback or splice.

Someone else mentioned Mana Leak. Gonna have to say no to that one. I never want to see Mana Leak again. A more balanced counter spell might be:

Remand 
Remand is better than Mana Leak
it's unlikely that it will see print
proud member of the 2011 community team
Remand is better than Mana Leak
it's unlikely that it will see print

I actually disagree. Remand is fantastic in a metagame where the game is over by turn 4. In standard, where things can last a bit longer, it's less effective given that you're not actually putting the spell in a graveyard or in exile, but in someone's hand. For instance, if you're at three life, you have one Remand in hand and your opponent has four mana open for a Searing Spear, which is better- Leak or Remand? I think for standard, counter spells have to be effective in the late game as well as the early game. Remand doesn't seem to fit this description.
Mana Leak is hardly great late game either. Remand won't get reprinted because Remand enabled Tempo decks like Delver far more than Mana Leak did, and it was those decks specifically that led to Remand's lack of reprinting.

I could see Rune Snag reprinted, though. Spell Snare might get reprinted just to boost the circulation for Legacy and Modern.

I'd like to see Go For The Throat as the standard two-mana removal spell in black. I feel it makes much more sense than Doom Blade does.

As for the returning mechanics, I'd say probably Cycling (maybe with Astral Slide? What fun!). It's popular, relatively simple, and useful. Alternatively, I could see Buyback. I'd also really love Entwine. Rude Awakening and Tooth and Nail were excellent cards.

Random cards I'd also like to see include a Death Cloud reprint (or an updated version that also sacrifices Planeswalkers), Arc-Slogger, Consecrated Sphinx, or some kind of cool manland(s).
Aside from individual cards what mechanic will be featured? M12 was scry. M13 had exalted.

I'm gonna nitpick.  M11 was actually scry, followed by bloodthirst and exalted, respectively.

Anyway, if I had to choose M14's marquee returning mechanic it would be either Soulbond or Flashback.  Neither got to see their full potential within their blocks and there's plenty of design space.  However, I know it may be too soon for these two so I'd have to go with provoke.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Remand would be funny with miracle running around.

3DH4LIF3

I want to see Delve as the M14 mechanic. They've talked, on multiple occasions, how Delve is really awkward as a block keyword because each Delve card hurts each other one. The core set is the perfect place to put a keyword on only a few cards, and Delve is flavorful, fun, and cool-looking on the right cards (people got excited about Tombstalker, right?). It's probably not going to go into a block set, so why not Core Set?

Of course, it is kind of awkward for it to come in right as the graveyard block is rotating out, but maybe that's for the best? Delve has anti-synergy with a lot of Innistrad's themes, after all.