Applied Trans-Temporal Studies - a Ravnica short story

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm running into problems with my intended first Magic short story, so I wrote a different first Magic short story in the meantime. Appropriately, it's about the Izzet.

"Fellow investigators of the unknown sciences, I stand before you today with proof of the nonlinearity of time!"

Xamias stood at the podium in one of Nivix's most prestigious guildhalls. Seated before him were some of the Izzet League's finest minds - men and women, fairies and elves, even a single ogre sitting on the floor at the back. Behind him stood his creation, his magnum opus.

"For centuries, the Izzet have studied the passage of time. Those of you in the audience who have a background in chronomancy understand its nature: like a valve in a pipe, we may choose to pass through it slowly or at haste, but it fights any attempt to return the way we came. We may never backtrack to make another choice, because time will not allow it.

"But what if we didn't have to? What if we could leap between pipes without returning to the junction?" He gestured grandly towards the bulky glass-and-metal machine. "I give you the Trans-Temporal Transporter, a device to bridge timelines. With it, I will now summon my counterpart from another possible world. Another Ravnica, much like our own, but infinitesimally different. With but a push of this-"

In mid sentence, Xamias vanished.

Bravo, sir, bravo.
Nice. :D

I've got nothing critical to say, this is a solid piece of microfiction. Well done.

What's your other one about? 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Well now I feel just silly spending weeks writing up 6 pages of tripe about a man making bad life choices and dying for it :I

Also; Elves? In the Izzet league?

Well, now I've seen everything. 
Well now I feel just silly spending weeks writing up 6 pages of tripe about a man making bad life choices and dying for it :I

Why not? Gotta figure that even a few elves are curious mad science types, or maybe they are emissaries from one of the other guilds, invited to watch.

Hey don't talk that way about your tripe. That was tasty, flavorful tripe.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
But I figure it'd probably be a good idea for me to force myself to write a shorter story to see if it's easier/better for me to write.
It took me entirely too damn long to write Nihil King.

The next one I'm working on I figure will be half as long as my others, if that. 
Don't worry about it too much, Thoctar. When I started writing it took me several hours to bang out five pages; the more you write, the faster you'll write. Just focus on writing what the story needs, no matter how long it takes to write it. Its not like its a race, or someone has a gun to your head. (If someone actually has a gone to your head, you can ignore the last bit. And tell them to stop.)
Yeah, my writing speed has increased a lot over time. I still write fiction at a glacial place, though, because I've mostly written academic stuff. It all depends on what you've got practice with.

...And thanks for reminding me about the Nihil King. I gotta read that.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

What's your other one about? 

A positive portrayal of a Rakdos guild member. My current attempt is about an Orzhov payday lender and her Rakdos business partner.

Please don't. If not for your stories I might not have written this one.

Please don't. If not for your stories I might not have written this one.

+10 Confidence
Sign In to post comments