vampire lifelink

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was hoping to get some help with my first deck outside of what I got with a few boosters and a deckbuilder's toolkit?
www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/43...
Your link is broken. 
Sorry about that, should be fixed now
Just in case though:

2   Knight of Infamy
3   Vampire Nighthawk
2   Bloodline Keeper // Lord of Lineage
3   Vampire Nocturnus
1   Necropolis Regent
1   Griselbrand
3   Blood Artist

2   Predator's Gambit
2   Essence Harvest
3   Exquisite Blood
2   Dark Favor
2   Tragic Slip
2   Undying Evil
2   Murder
2   Victim of Night
2   Liliana of the Dark Realms
4   Bump in the Night

22 Swamp

Sideboard:
2   Phylactery Lich
2   Zombie Apocalypse
2   Abattoir Ghoul
2   Endless Ranks of the Dead
2   Moan of the Unhallowed
2   Army of the Damned
3   Gravecrawler 
Wait, you got 3 Gravecrawlers and 2 Lilianas out of a few boosters and a toolkit? /Jealous. You pulled some really nice zombie cards overall (Ranks, Moan, Army, Apocalypse, etc.). Given that your luck tended in this direction, I would personally aim to build a zombie deck. In other words, take most of your sideboard and make it your main deck.

My next advice is to keep in mind the "rule of nines"--that aside from lands, you only need ~9 cards for an MTG deck (4 copies of each). In other words, the fewer different cards you have, the better you can organize a winning strategy and the more reliably you can pick the cards involved therein. I would use sites like amazon.com to turn some of those useful singles (commons are $0.25 to $0.45) into playsets of 4 without spending very much $$.

With that in mind, if you're interested in the zombie deck idea, I think you're on the right track in making your first deck monocolor. It's easier to learn with monocolor, and it's cheaper to build because there's no impetus to get dual-mana lands, which are usually $8-12 per.

That all being said, if you agree so far, I would build the deck around Ranks, Moan, Army, Gravecrawler, and maybe Apocalypse. They're not only extremely strong, but they synergize fantastically. Look around gatherer.wizards.com a bit and let me know if that helps/what you come up with!
Vampires and Zombies can work together, believe it or not. The more competitve decks of this ilk are usually and use one set of a frightfully expensive mythic rare but it might work reasonably well in momo-.

You would want Zombies that don't mind dying, like Gravecrawler and the undying guys and Vampires that benefit from killing them. A means of profioting from the dying is beneficial.

So, Bloodthrone Vampire is a budget possibility and Blood Artist is another.

A cheap, effective Zombie that doesn't actually fit into the doesn't-mind-dying category is Diregraf Ghoul. It's good enough to play in spite of the lack of synergy and it's just uncommon to boot.

If budget isn't the issue, then you want to go and play the cool stuff. Just expect to invest a fair amount of $$$. Just hollar if you want that information.
So wait you are running Exquisite Blood without the new Orzhov Guildmage for an instant win combo??!!!!
Wait, you got 3 Gravecrawlers and 2 Lilianas out of a few boosters and a toolkit? /Jealous. You pulled some really nice zombie cards overall (Ranks, Moan, Army, Apocalypse, etc.). Given that your luck tended in this direction, I would personally aim to build a zombie deck. In other words, take most of your sideboard and make it your main deck.

My next advice is to keep in mind the "rule of nines"--that aside from lands, you only need ~9 cards for an MTG deck (4 copies of each). In other words, the fewer different cards you have, the better you can organize a winning strategy and the more reliably you can pick the cards involved therein. I would use sites like amazon.com to turn some of those useful singles (commons are $0.25 to $0.45) into playsets of 4 without spending very much $$.

With that in mind, if you're interested in the zombie deck idea, I think you're on the right track in making your first deck monocolor. It's easier to learn with monocolor, and it's cheaper to build because there's no impetus to get dual-mana lands, which are usually $8-12 per.

That all being said, if you agree so far, I would build the deck around Ranks, Moan, Army, Gravecrawler, and maybe Apocalypse. They're not only extremely strong, but they synergize fantastically. Look around gatherer.wizards.com a bit and let me know if that helps/what you come up with!

No no, I would be the luckiest guy ever if I pulled 2 lilianas and 3 gravecrawlers from the amount of boosters I've opened. I meant that I've built a few decks using a toolkit and a few boosters, but this was my first attempt at building one using cards I don't have.  I'll try to cut down the number of different cards and focus on more 4x. 
Vampires and Zombies can work together, believe it or not. The more competitve decks of this ilk are usually and use one set of a frightfully expensive mythic rare but it might work reasonably well in momo-.

You would want Zombies that don't mind dying, like Gravecrawler and the undying guys and Vampires that benefit from killing them. A means of profioting from the dying is beneficial.

So, Bloodthrone Vampire is a budget possibility and Blood Artist is another.

A cheap, effective Zombie that doesn't actually fit into the doesn't-mind-dying category is Diregraf Ghoul. It's good enough to play in spite of the lack of synergy and it's just uncommon to boot.

If budget isn't the issue, then you want to go and play the cool stuff. Just expect to invest a fair amount of $$$. Just hollar if you want that information.

what are the mythic rares used in :Bm: decks? I actually like rb decks usually, but I have a deck with a few of these cards in it that I've done decently well with that's monoblack. 
I like the idea of benefiting from zombies dying though. I'll see if I can add some to the main deck.

So wait you are running Exquisite Blood without the new Orzhov Guildmage for an instant win combo??!!!!

I wanted to go with sanguine Bond + exquisite blood combo, but it wasn't available in standard. I'll look into it though.
what are the mythic rares used in  decks?

Falkenrath Aristocrat is the mythic, used in conjunction with Gravecrawler and Blood Artist. Diregraf Ghoul and Geralf's Messenger are the other core creatures of B/R zombie decks. But if you want to go the vampire route, you can still use aristocrat and blood artist with Bloodflow Connoisseur and Traitorous Blood / Mark of Mutiny: Steal, Attack, Sac. 
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
Alright, revised the deck quite a bit (and just about doubled the cost). not too sure what I should have as a sideboard though. 
How's it look now? 

4   Exquisite Blood
2   Liliana of the Dark Realms
3   Essence Harvest
3   Army of the Damned
3   Endless Ranks of the Dead

4   Blood Artist
4   Falkenrath Aristocrat 
4   Gravecrawler
4   Geralf's Messenger
4   Diregraf Ghoul
4   Bloodflow Connoisseur

11   Swamp
3   Mountain
4   Dragonskull Summit
3   Blood Crypt 

I went with the 5 you mentioned as well as bloodflow, so I could drop a bloodflow, then army of the damned. Sacrifice x number of the zombie tokens, then essence harvest on bloodflow connoisseur.  
Alright, revised the deck quite a bit (and just about doubled the cost). not too sure what I should have as a sideboard though. 
How's it look now? 

I went with the 5 you mentioned as well as bloodflow, so I could drop a bloodflow, then army of the damned. Sacrifice x number of the zombie tokens, then essence harvest on bloodflow connoisseur.  

Just a quick tip: You can use [ c] and [ /c] or [ deck] and [ /deck] tags (without the spaces) to link cards/decks. If it shows up as jumbled characters, you just have to delete some of the spaces between the numbers and the card name. For example, 11 Swamp would be OK, but 11   Swamp would show up jumbled.

Looks much better, and like you're using some powerful (and hence more expensive) combinations. I would drop Essence Harvest because your deck is designed for huge numbers rather than individual creature power. You may also want some mana-ramping ability for the first couple of turns, and you may want to consider replacing those Harvests with some sort of counter or discard, e.g. Duress.
The updated list seems a bit heavy on the mana curve. With 21 lands, you'll struggle with four-plus drops. Exquisite Blood and Army of the Damned are probably dead weight. I would probably go to 22 just to help ensure the Aristocrat came come out reliably.

I have seen Bloodthrone Vampire used successfully in similar decks but not Bloodflow Connoisseur. I see the point, but an extra mana is an extra mana for what ultimately is still a 1/1.
Sign In to post comments