Pretty Solid Black/White Exalted Deck (works great right now, what do you think?)

47 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ok, I've had this deck for a while now and have won many games with it. However, most of the time time I use this deck against some of my friends who i'v just taught how to play and their decks are pretty crappy. So I'm thinking of making this deck better so I could use it against the other real magic players that i play with (we still play casual though). 

Creatures: 22

Spells: 10
[deck]
2 Flickering Ward
4 Spirit Mantle
4 Essence Harvest
[/deck]
Removal: 5
[deck]
2 Disenchant
3 Unmake
[/deck]
Lands: 23
[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck] 

Sometimes I think that I should add more lands, more exalted creatures, or other spells like holy day or emerge unscathed, except I don't know what to take out. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
i'd add more double strikers and maybe a few unblockable
i probably wouldnt bother with arbiter altho if your friends are a bit nooby he's probably a bomb, just...vs most good decks he's either easy to remove  or inconsequental.
id cut nefarox
probably remove disenchant and removal from mainboard 
if opponent is playing instant removal 6 auras can be dangerous.

i agree,  the weakness of exalted is having your attacking creature removed at instant speed (and chumpblocking tokens, but thats more rare) emerge unscathed style cards helps with this - so does duress

if your  usual opponents dont play much removal as your deck suggests adding implementing my suggestions would only weaken your deck vs a more combat oriented meta though.

what i'd do in that situation is probably tailor a sideboard, even if you rarely will use it, trying to tailor the deck so that it can beat tough matchups. 
Why no knights in this deck Knight of Glory and Knight of Infamy . I would also take out Disenchant for more removal or Dash Hopes . Sure they will probably take the damage but it is 5 damage for 2 B mana. The problem with a B/W exalted deck is that there is now way to get the damage through unless they have no creatures on the field. That is why I built a G/W exalted deck, I used cards like Rancor and Selesnya Charm to help get the damage through. I would also look into more double stikers like Rawsugar stated above Mirran Crusader and Fencing Ace  are really good cards.

Well I use to have Knights but i like sigiled paladin better. The knights are good but I just prefer not to have them. I'll drop in some Mirran Crusader's but I'm probably going to keep my disenchant and removal in my deck. I should lower my aura's and add some emerge unscathed.

@rawsugar, my friends and I play powerful decks but be mever play with sideboards. I like having lots of removal in my deck so I deciding the keep it that way. I'll probably make space for duress tho. I think i have enough cards to make my creatures unblockable so one or two tormented souls are enough.

@palidanmage, dash of hopes sucks in my deck and i'm keeping my deck B/W.

EDIT: This is what it looks like now.

Creatures: 23

Spells: 12
[deck]
2 Emerge Unscathed
1 Flickering Ward
3 Spirit Mantle
4 Essence Harvest
2 Duress
[/deck]
Removal: 4
[deck]
1 Disenchant
3 Unmake
[/deck]
[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Isolated Chapel
11 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck] 

I'm still keeping one disenchant since I have had plenty of run ins with crazy artifacts or enchantments. added 1 more silverblade paladin, threw in a couple tormented soul and duress and emerge unschated, but im still over 60 by 2 cards. What should i take out?
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
1 spirit mantle
1 essence harvest

both cards, although powerful, makes your deck more vulnerable to control/removal
Ok guys, I have been doing a ton of playtesting and I think I have something close to my final decklist. 

MAYBE Final Decklist:

[deck]
3 Emerge Unscathed
3 Spirit Mantle
3 Essence Harvest
3 Duress
2 Oblivion Ring
[/deck]

[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck]  

Btw, how should I make room for more removal? Should i add more removal?
Can anyone check out my final decklist?
It's pretty solid for the most part. I'm currently working on a non Standard White/Black exalted deck and you are off to a great start. Vampire Nighthawk with this Exalted is silly good. And it's good you have some way to deal with enchantments and other non-creature threats. Sigiled Paladin is a great choice and often forgotten and the same can be said about Silent Arbiter. Battlegrace Angel is cool, but i would probably run Baneslayer Angel instead. Essence Harvest is cute and everything, and i see the potential syngery but I feel it's a little gimmicky and it would be the first thing I would cut. Running Cathedral of War is a great idea, and I would considering running even more, having an exalted effect on the board that can't be countered and is difficult to remove is great

I will point out two primary flaws though. You have no card draw or card advantage in the deck which makes it hard to get to the stuff you need and really hurts you when you are top decking. I would recommend Phyrexian Arena or Underworld Connections. Those cards are amazingly powerful, being able to fundamentally change the rules of the game and draw an extra card by just paying one life is incredible. It's even better in a deck like this with so much life gain. Sign in Blood and Mentor of the Meek are other solid options. The other problem is you have no recursion. If a wrath effect like Phyrexian Rebirth or Day of Judgment hits the board you won't be able to rebuild the board quickly enough in your favor, especially without card draw. If you are considering cards outside of Modern, Unearth seems like a graet contender. That card is insane, and frankly was a mistake. Unburial Rites could also work here. Also if you are considering cards outside of modern, I would strongly suggest you run Flickering Ward over Spirit Mantle because it is almost strictly better. Being able to reuse it and protect yourself from noncreature threats is a huge deal.

I also must note that Gideon Jura would work well with this deck. Hope this was helpful.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
@HonorBasquiat, First of all I hate baneslayer angel. I just hate this card since it so many people waste so much money to randomly throw that card into any deck with white in it. I mostly hate it since a guy with a crappy deck beat me with one when I did not suffle properly and was mana screwed. then he started bragging about it. Sorry about all the personal opinions but I might throw one copy in. Its sort of strange how my most hated card is baneslayer angel while my favorite card is serra angel

For essence harvest I might keep at least two copies since that gotten me quite alot of wins. If I ever get shut down by a wall of denial and can't get by protection auras or Tormented Soul out essence harvest really helps. It also adds quite a lot of lifegain to my deck. 

However, for Cathedral of War i might only have two or three becuase it can really slow you down since it only adds colorless and enters tapped. This prevents me from playing early exalted creatures which I need for hitting with heavy damage in the future. Well Cathedral of War can actually bring me exalted boots so i might run three. 

I know I have been lacking draw so ill probably use Phyrexian Arena. I just remembered unearth and will probably add some. I just dont know which cards I will take out. 

EDIT: I Playtested a bunch and came to quite a nice conclusion. the biggest changes were in order to add in the cathderal of war's. Due to its lack or creating colored mana i added O ring's instead of unmake and also threw in a knight of glory. Most Importantly I grew over my hatred of baneslayer angel and added one copy. 

Btw, I couldnt find space for unearth and i dont think its really needed since if they wipe the board when i have all my exalted out i probably wont win anyway. My friends also rarely run those cards anyway since we will hate however might use it. 

This is what it looks like now.

Creatures: 24

[deck]
2 Emerge Unscathed
2 Flickering Ward
2 Spirit Mantle
2 Essence Harvest
2 Duress
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Unearth 
2 Phyrexian Arena 
[/deck]
Lands: 24
[deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck]  

Finally, thanks for all your helpful information, helped a lot. I just want to know how exactly does gideon jura fit into all of this? and should i make room for spirit link for extra lifegain?

This is a lot of information, major wall of post, but I think it should be helpful for you and the deck even if you don't agree with it all. I don't know if you are new to Magic or just a player who is much more casual than me (and I am very casual) but generally speaking you want to have 4 of copies certain cards rather than 2 copies of a bunch of cards. This makes it so you are more likely to draw those cards, so don't try to do so much. I would certainly run 4 Vampire Nighthawk for instance. I would probably drop Emergered Unscathed and run 4 copies of a non creature spell. Generally speaking if you are running only 1 copy of a card in a casual deck, you probably can cut it all together because odds are you won't be playing it most games. You should probably run 3 or 4 Phyrexian Arena, because you want to make sure you get it, it will be worth it once you play it though because you will get to your other cards much faster.

I understand what you are saying about Baneslayer Angel, there are certain cards I despise playing because of how good I think they are. or because they seem too expensive or whatever. For what it's worth Sublime Archangel is worth much more, more than twice as much than Baneslayer Angel.

I feel the same way about board wipes, I hate them, and they aren't too frequent in my meta, but you should still account for them. You also shouldn't have the attitude that once there's a board wipe I will lose for sure. If that's the case your deck probably isn't very good. If you don't over extend your hand (you keep a creature or two if you have a very full board already), and you have Phyrexian Arena out, and a recursion spell or two you should actually be able to rebuild yourself pretty quicky. 

Gideon Jura fits into this because his 0 ability paired with exalted allows him to swing for a ton of damage and when he swings she's virtually indestructible. His +2 ability makes your opponent attack Gideon Jura which means that during your following turn, your opponent will be defenseless and you can attack them and they won't be able to block. Keep in mind Gideon Jura is much better in versus rather than multiplayer. 

I honestly think it is odd that you are running White/Black with virtually no removal. Path to Exile and Go For The Throat are wonderful removal spells. Generally speaking spells like Murder and Unmake are not as good because you have to spend more mana and you are still only getting one creature. Edict spells like Geth's Verdict are very good because they don't target the opponent which means they can indirectly hit things like Wall of Denial. Sometime later this month I may post the White/Black exalted deck I'm running, maybe it will give you some more ideas. But if I were you I would do some of the things I'm mentioning. I would cut Emerge Unscathed and Essence Harvest and add 4 of a removal spell, or maybe 2 of each. Creature removal is much more important than creating a pseduo unblockable or a gimmicky combo. Spirit Link is a good card, especially in multiplayer because you can gain life when your opponents attack other players with your creature, but honestly it doesn't seem necessary.  You shouldn't be trying to do so many things, Vampire Nighthawk and Baneslayer Angel are more than enough lifegain. Seriously, if you have like just 5 things with exalted on the battlefield which is a very common scenario, if you swing with Baneslayer Angel even if they chump block, you suddenly are up an additional 10 life. If they deal with her quickly and you gain another 10 life the following turn, they will most likely lose the game. This is one of the reasons Vampire Nighthawk is so great because it has lifelink AND deathtouch and it only costs 3 to cast.  

Also, just me personally, if I had a playset of Godless Shrine and 3 Sublime Archangel I would sell them for more than 100 bucks and buy way better cards, or even a very good deck (Those two cards really aren't doing that much for you here, the angel sort of is, but she's not the reason this deck should be winning). For instance, Hong Kong, the White/Red Norin the Wary token deck I posted the other day that you seemed to really like would cost less than $80 dollars to build even if you bought all 60 cards (most players would already have some of them). Hong Kong would probably walk all over this deck. I don't say that to be harsh or anything, my point is that as a casual player, if you are going to spend a lot of money, or use really valuable cards and have a deck that is worth more than $100 it should probably be better than this.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
@honor: 3 fails here:
calling someone casual who hasnt selfapplied the term or is obviously clueless.
failing to see how important emerge unscathed is for exalted
failing to understand that spirit mantle is not link and how important getting though blockers is for exalted
@honor: 3 fails here:
calling someone casual who hasnt selfapplied the term or is obviously clueless.
failing to see how important emerge unscathed is for exalted
failing to understand that spirit mantle is not link and how important getting though blockers is for exalted

I know what Spirit Mantle is. Go re read the thread, he specifically asked "and should i make room for spirit link for extra lifegain?"

I understand what Emerge Unscathed does, and I understand it really doesn't get you in all the time, especially against dual or tri colored decks. Flickering Ward is a lot better for helping you get in, it also protects you against a color, but for longer than one turn, and you can move it around or flicker it a change the color you want protection from. 

I don't understand what you mean by "calling someone casual who hasnt selfapplied the term or is obviously clueless." so maybe that was a fail, lol
fair point on the link, then

emerge unscathed isnt for unblockable its for protection vs removal. easiest way to handle exalted is to simply kill the attacking creature - some decks can reliably do this every turn. so you need protection from that.

Flickering ward is super good - but its not instant so makes you vulnerable to 2 for 1s vs removal. cho-manno's blessing is an option as is lightning greaves

as for the casual thing - you basically said OP should L2P and listen to you. From your post i dont think you are better than OP - vertainly not by the margin that would allow you to make such a comment.
as for the other suggestions:
1-3 ofs can be very reasonable if you have cards you dont want too many of. The thing about 4 ofs is that for many cards you want plenty of that type in hand and might as well get as many of the best as possible - but this doesnt apply to all cards.
unearth is not recursion in the sense of a card you can recast helping you vs control. rather its basically a conditional ritual (without card disadvantage), allowing you to cast a cmc 3 creature for if its in the graveyard. its good to keep an offense going -- however id rather play unscathed and/or draw. Or actual recursion.
arena is great card advantage...in a long game. it moves the deck towards mid-late game whereas it currently tuned for early-mid. adding it will make the deck less powerful vs anything but control. Id rather play sign in blood or disciple of bolas here

battlegrace gives lifelink to any attacking creature, in exalted its about en par. baneslayer might still be a smidge more powerful, but not enough to be worth the $$
fair point on the link, then

emerge unscathed isnt for unblockable its for protection vs removal. easiest way to handle exalted is to simply kill the attacking creature - some decks can reliably do this every turn. so you need protection from that.

Flickering ward is super good - but its not instant so makes you vulnerable to 2 for 1s vs removal. cho-manno's blessing is an option as is lightning greaves

as for the casual thing - you basically said OP should L2P and listen to you. From your post i dont think you are better than OP - vertainly not by the margin that would allow you to make such a comment.

Running just two Emerge Unscathed for protection from removal isn't the best idea, I got the impression he was doing it more for unblockables. When he comes back I guess he can explain if he wants. If he had recursion like I recommended, and ran Flickering Ward over Emerge Unscathed he'd have to worry about spot removal much less.

I don't know what L2P means, but I don't think I'm "better than OP" I think it's safe to say I probably have better card knowledge (OP asked why Gideon Jura would be good here) and I probably have built more decks before (OP has no card draw or recursion). Look at the original deck he posted, the removal options he chose. He even emphasized that he wanted to make the deck better so he can play against real magic players, so I assumed he is either a new player and/or probably takes the game less seriously than I do.

You can say that Unearth isn't recursion, but it's certainly psuedo recursion and would be helpful against spot removal and wrath situations, also card advantage because of the cycling.  And of course you don't just run four of everything (I never said that) but I don't think I've ever played against a deck outside of limited that ran only 2 Duress, that's pretty weird. He should probably run 4 or none. Running one sole Silent Arbiter is a little esoteric also.

I think Baneslayer Angel is better, he's only going to be attacking with one creature anyways so granting lifelink to everything else isn't a major deal. As for the money like I mentioned, he's running 4 Godless Shrine anyways, so I have no idea what his budget is. Sign in Blood is a good choice, I prefer the Phyrexian Arena, especially in longer games, and he mentioned how wrath effects wreck him hard.

I really don't know why you are being so critical of me man, I think you may be getting the wrong impression about me. All I'm trying to do is help this guy out. The deck is decent, but could use some work. I gave him some advice, a lot of it he liked.
unearth is just not as good as emerge here - emerge allows you to still attack even if a removal spell is cast. Exalted is fast if allowed to do damage, and agro shold be the main goal

duress is a card that it makes perfect sense to run 2 of - you dont want more than 1 in starting hand and would rather not draw it later in the game vs many decks

silent arbiter is also much better as a 1 of than  of - he doesnt stack and doesnt help vs all decks whereas vs many he can mean victory if you can protect him.

i still say sign is better in most games - its much better in agro. arena is a good option for sideboard. for exalted focusing speed and cheap anti control seems a better option vs control than recursion

and ye maybe im being too critical, but your post seemed pretty arrogant and it didnt help that your advice was even wrong imo. but nvm, lets move on
unearth is just not as good as emerge here - emerge allows you to still attack even if a removal spell is cast. Exalted is fast if allowed to do damage, and agro shold be the main goal

duress is a card that it makes perfect sense to run 2 of - you dont want more than 1 in starting hand and would rather not draw it later in the game vs many decks

silent arbiter is also much better as a 1 of than  of - he doesnt stack and doesnt help vs all decks whereas vs many he can mean victory if you can protect him.

i still say sign is better in most games - its much better in agro. arena is a good option for sideboard. for exalted focusing speed and cheap anti control seems a better option vs control than recursion

and ye maybe im being too critical, but your post seemed pretty arrogant and it didnt help that your advice was even wrong imo. but nvm, lets move on

Lol at my advice being wrong. He needs card draw, and he needs something to get his creatures back. He even said that when he gets hit by a Wrath effect he ends up losing the game.

Duress is a card you want to use in the beginning of the game (turn one if possible), so you want to run 4 of them to increase the odds of getting it in your opening hand. That's Magic 101, it's the same reason you would never run 2 Dark Ritual. If Silent Arbiter is really important, than he should want to draw it. If he runs only 1, with no tutors, the odds are it won't come out most games, which means it probably isn't that important. He should either run more, or none and run another copy of a card that's more important.

As far as Sign in Blood vs. Phyrexian Arena, they are both good cards. He can play Arena on turn 3, and by turn 5 he would have drawn 2 cards. He seems like a pretty casual player, so I don't think his games are ending in 4 turns. The deck he mentioned in the OP certainly would not be beating me in 5 turns.

Anyways, BobbertZhubert, I hope you don't think I'm being arrogant, I'm only trying to help. I don't know why rawsugar thinks I'm being arrogant, perhaps it's because I said "This is a lot of information, major wall of post, but I think it should be helpful for you and the deck even if you don't agree with it all," which is a statement I still stand by. I also would guess that the majority of  that advice (stuff about Gideon Jura, how to choose removal spells, the importance of card draw, dealing with wrath effects, selling Godless Shrine could improve the deck a lot, etc.) is solid advice that is not controversial. I also think some of the advice rawsugar is offering is very good and you should take it into consideration. It's good that if you are reading this entire thread you are seeing this exchange because it really gives you multiple perspectives you can take.
see there you go again, "magic 101" - but then i called your opinion wrong ...still seems to be a difference between brusquely announcing that i think youre wrong and snidely insinuating that im not knowledgeable enough to be right...please lets not discuss it, I know its not our intention but thats the vibe i get from your choice of words

and i still disagree
what you say about duress and ritual seems especially nonsensical.

but lets agree to disagree
see there you go again, "magic 101" - but then i called your opinion wrong ...still seems to be a difference between brusquely announcing that i think youre wrong and snidely insinuating that im not knowledgeable enough to be right...please lets not discuss it, I know its not our intention but thats the vibe i get from your choice of words

and i still disagree
what you say about duress and ritual seems especially nonsensical.

but lets agree to disagree

We can agree to disagree, but I dare you to find me a competitive deck that has done well that runs 2 or less discard spells or Dark Rituals. Look into that on your own time. I said 101 not only because anyone who plays magic competitively knows that but mainly because you dismissed my advice and said I was wrong without acknowledging that most of it you probably would agree with (stuff about Gideon Jura, how to choose removal spells, the importance of card draw, dealing with wrath effects, selling Godless Shrine could improve the deck a lot, etc.) But I'll drop it, lol. I really will this time. Just think about that stuff, or PM me if you want to talk about this more, I don't want to hijack this thread, haha.

ok... lots of info here. By the way, guys stop arguing. You sound like a married couple saying you agree to disagree while still hinting at how much you disagree with them. Cmon. I've been playing for several years now but mostly during the summer break. I've just started to play more so i want to get to know more stuff.

@HonorBasquiat, first of all, you can sound pretty arrogant sometimes but your info is good nonetheless. You also sounded quite arrogant and it seemed like you where calling me stupid or smthg when you where talking about how i asked you about Gideon. I was just wondering how you saw gideon fitting into this deck. I usually see my friend's gideon used with tamiyo quite often so thats usually how i see it used. Or in a token deck just to clear the chumpblockers with +1 then swing with gideon and the tokens during the next turn. 

I disagree with you on the whole run 4 copies of each card thing. I know its good for a competitive run 4 of the cards you need, but in casual where we play for fun, combos and what not, its ok to run 1, 2 or 3 of a card. For example, through playtesting i found out that i always got too many nighthawks during the early turns and less one drop exalteds so with three it was quite perfect since but the time i could drop the nighthawk i had enough exalted creatures and and my hand wasnt overloaded by nighthawks. btw, in terms of budget my friend in the place where i go during the summer use to judge games and plays a lot so he has a buttload of cards, even though he has already sold a bunch. he even has got like a mox and a black lotus or two. I always get cards from him and he gave he some starting cards like the squire and duty-bound dead. Most of the expesive cards i have i got from him. And when he asks how my deck is going i dont want to say i sold it for more cards.

I'll post the newest decklist i got soon. sort of busy right now... 

ok... lots of info here. By the way, guys stop arguing. You sound like a married couple saying you agree to disagree while still hinting at how much you disagree with them. Cmon. I've been playing for several years now but mostly during the summer break. I've just started to play more so i want to get to know more stuff.

@HonorBasquiat, first of all, you can sound pretty arrogant sometimes but your info is good nonetheless. You also sounded quite arrogant and it seemed like you where calling me stupid or smthg when you where talking about how i asked you about Gideon. I was just wondering how you saw gideon fitting into this deck. I usually see my friend's gideon used with tamiyo quite often so thats usually how i see it used. Or in a token deck just to clear the chumpblockers with +1 then swing with gideon and the tokens during the next turn. 

I disagree with you on the whole run 4 copies of each card thing. I know its good for a competitive run 4 of the cards you need, but in casual where we play for fun, combos and what not, its ok to run 1, 2 or 3 of a card. For example, through playtesting i found out that i always got too many nighthawks during the early turns and less one drop exalteds so with three it was quite perfect since but the time i could drop the nighthawk i had enough exalted creatures and and my hand wasnt overloaded by nighthawks. btw, in terms of budget my friend in the place where i go during the summer use to judge games and plays a lot so he has a buttload of cards, even though he has already sold a bunch. he even has got like a mox and a black lotus or two. I always get cards from him and he gave he some starting cards like the squire and duty-bound dead. Most of the expesive cards i have i got from him. And when he asks how my deck is going i dont want to say i sold it for more cards.

I'll post the newest decklist i got soon. sort of busy right now... 

Well I'm sorry if I sound arrogant. I'm honestly trying my best to help, I think if you follow my advice your deck will be able to deal with more harsh situations. I'm not saying run 4 of everything. But with certain cards, especially cards like Duress or Dark Ritual, you would want to run four of. Duress is a card you want to play early game, and if you run 4 instead of 2 or 1, you will be much more likely to cast it early. That's very very common. I really think you should think about that if you want to be able to play against "real" magic players. If you run only 1 Silent Arbiter, odds are you won't see it most games, which means it is not very crucial. Usually if a player is only running 1 of something they have tutors for that card, the card is restricted to 1 in a specific format or it's a good card and but for some reason they don't have the means (usually money) to get more of that card. 

I'm a casual player too btw, I'm not a tourney player, but it sounds like my meta is probably a little more "real" than yours. I say that primarly because you have been playing for years and are not running card draw really which strikes me as odd because virtually all good decks that aren't supposed to win in 3 turns or less have some sort of card advantage. As for the Gideon Jura thing, I certainly wasn't trying to make you sound stupid or anything, it's just a connection I drew immediately that you didn't. 

I understand what you are saying about the expensive cards thing, I guess that makes sense, I was just making a point that if you could sell them, you probably should. 

What kind of decks do your friends play, what stuff other than wrath effects do you have trouble with?
@HonorBasquiat, first of all i want you to know I'm not as stupid as you think I am. I know about card draw, I know how important its is, yadda yadda yadda. What you have said has been quite arrogant but I know your intentions are good. Some suggestions I have for you to make you seem like a nicer guy would probably avoid making assumptions on how the a person plays, how much experience they have, how good/bad they are among other things. And if you think there is a major problem in a deck, break it to them nicely. For example, you could say: "This card does not seem to fit very nicely, I suggest you try to use this instead." You shoud also definetly not call doing something weird. You also shoudnt try to make yoursef sound superior to other people and act all condescending. Most of all, remember here in this forum all we want is what can we do to make the deck better. No negative comments on the person themselve or how the play and try to write in a nicer fashion. I think we would all appreciate such a knowlegeable person like you to help us with your decks. :D We can all move on now. 

On thing you should know about the stlye I play is that all my decks are centered around a theme. This deck as you know is all about exalted. In my decks I like to add all the cards that work well in my deck and then try to balance them out. This is why i often run 1, 2 or 3 of a card. One disadvantge to this is that sometimes my decks can end up trying to to go in every direction. However, one advantage is that these decks are a lot more fun to play with. Since you have all these cards that have rather good synergy there are many ways to win and play. And every game you play you might get differnt cards and the way you play is always differnt but it always follows your main theme. This might seem quite unorthodox to some other people but that is just the way I play and has proven to be the most enjoyable to me. 

Screw all the personal stuff and get back to the deck.

The changes so far have adding another Silent Arbiter since I want to see it become a bigger part of my deck. At first I only ran one since it was basically a giant removal magnet. Now i could probably flicerking ward it to protect it. I also got ride of battlegrace angel since most of the guys i swing with have lifelink already. I didn't run Gideon since i wanted to try to swing with a flyer with lifelink. The other ablities are good but not worth the CMC 5. I'm also running Sign in Blood over the arena. Even though i hate the CMC rawsugar is right on how i want to keep my deck at a early-mid game basis. 

Another thing I want to explain to you is how i organzie my cards thorugh my unorthodox playing stlye. Since I run alot of 1,2 and 3 of a card i organize the cards by their purpose. For example, right now i have 6 cards to grant protection to prevent removal and make it unblockable. Right now those are:

You might think that running only one Spirit Mantle is basically the same as running zero. However, I see it as running a differnt version of Flickering Ward but better suited against Multicolored Decks but can be bounced back like the Ward itself. You might ask what if I don't draw it while playing a multicolored decks. Well the truth is with one spirit mantle I a least had a slight chance of getting that card to work better agiasnt multi-colored decks. I might make zero sense right now but that is just how I play. 

Right now I'm like 3 cards over 60. I actually considering dropping essence harvest even though i love it dearly. 

Total Creatures: 23

Exalted Support Creatures:12
[deck]
4 Akrasan Squire
3 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Sigiled Paladin
1 Knight of Glory
3 Sublime Archangel
[/deck]
Creautres to Swing With: 7
[deck]
4 Vampire Nighthawk 
1 Baneslayer Angel
2 Tormented Soul
[deck]
Other Creautres: 4
[deck]
2 Silverblade Paladin
2 Silent Arbiter
[/deck]

Spells: 15

Spells for Unblockable/Protection From Removal:6

Removal Spells:5
[deck]
3 Duress
2 Path to Exile
[/deck]
Card Draw:3
[deck]
3 Sign in Blood
[/deck]
Other Spells:
[deck]
2 Essence Harvest
[/deck]

[deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck]   

I'm sorry if all this information about myself is overwhelming you. I just want you to realize where i cam coming from. I hope we can all move on from this point and continue helping me with my deck. Thanks.  
if you have the cash id up silverblade and sublime to 4 each, otherwise look great.
@HonorBasquiat, first of all i want you to know I'm not as stupid as you think I am. I know about card draw, I know how important its is, yadda yadda yadda. What you have said has been quite arrogant but I know your intentions are good. Some suggestions I have for you to make you seem like a nicer guy would probably avoid making assumptions on how the a person plays, how much experience they have, how good/bad they are among other things. And if you think there is a major problem in a deck, break it to them nicely. For example, you could say: "This card does not seem to fit very nicely, I suggest you try to use this instead." You shoud also definetly not call doing something weird. You also shoudnt try to make yoursef sound superior to other people and act all condescending. Most of all, remember here in this forum all we want is what can we do to make the deck better. No negative comments on the person themselve or how the play and try to write in a nicer fashion. I think we would all appreciate such a knowlegeable person like you to help us with your decks. :D We can all move on now. 

On thing you should know about the stlye I play is that all my decks are centered around a theme. This deck as you know is all about exalted. In my decks I like to add all the cards that work well in my deck and then try to balance them out. This is why i often run 1, 2 or 3 of a card. One disadvantge to this is that sometimes my decks can end up trying to to go in every direction. However, one advantage is that these decks are a lot more fun to play with. Since you have all these cards that have rather good synergy there are many ways to win and play. And every game you play you might get differnt cards and the way you play is always differnt but it always follows your main theme. This might seem quite unorthodox to some other people but that is just the way I play and has proven to be the most enjoyable to me. 

Screw all the personal stuff and get back to the deck.

The changes so far have adding another Silent Arbiter since I want to see it become a bigger part of my deck. At first I only ran one since it was basically a giant removal magnet. Now i could probably flicerking ward it to protect it. I also got ride of battlegrace angel since most of the guys i swing with have lifelink already. I didn't run Gideon since i wanted to try to swing with a flyer with lifelink. The other ablities are good but not worth the CMC 5. I'm also running Sign in Blood over the arena. Even though i hate the CMC rawsugar is right on how i want to keep my deck at a early-mid game basis. 

Another thing I want to explain to you is how i organzie my cards thorugh my unorthodox playing stlye. Since I run alot of 1,2 and 3 of a card i organize the cards by their purpose. For example, right now i have 6 cards to grant protection to prevent removal and make it unblockable. Right now those are:

You might think that running only one Spirit Mantle is basically the same as running zero. However, I see it as running a differnt version of Flickering Ward but better suited against Multicolored Decks but can be bounced back like the Ward itself. You might ask what if I don't draw it while playing a multicolored decks. Well the truth is with one spirit mantle I a least had a slight chance of getting that card to work better agiasnt multi-colored decks. I might make zero sense right now but that is just how I play. 

Right now I'm like 3 cards over 60. I actually considering dropping essence harvest even though i love it dearly. 

Total Creatures: 23

Exalted Support Creatures:12
[deck]
4 Akrasan Squire
3 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Sigiled Paladin
1 Knight of Glory
3 Sublime Archangel
[/deck]
Creautres to Swing With: 7
[deck]
4 Vampire Nighthawk 
1 Baneslayer Angel
2 Tormented Soul
[deck]
Other Creautres: 4
[deck]
2 Silverblade Paladin
2 Silent Arbiter
[/deck]

Spells: 15

Spells for Unblockable/Protection From Removal:6

Removal Spells:5
[deck]
3 Duress
2 Path to Exile
[/deck]
Card Draw:3
[deck]
3 Sign in Blood
[/deck]
Other Spells:
[deck]
2 Essence Harvest
[/deck]

[deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
7 Swamps
[/deck]   

I'm sorry if all this information about myself is overwhelming you. I just want you to realize where i cam coming from. I hope we can all move on from this point and continue helping me with my deck. Thanks.  

It looks a lot better and I think it can now deal with much greater threats. The Sign in Blood will help a lot. You may want to consider adding more spot removal removal because Duress can only get non creatures and having only two Path To Exile may not be enough. Something you may want consider over Tormented Soul is Vault Skirge which I feel is underrated in these types of decks, it may not be unblockable, but it has flying, and lifelink, and can still be played on turn one. It also can block. I personally would cut Essence Harvest, but you seem like you really enjoy it. It's a little too cute for me, but if it's winning you a lot of games, I would run 3 or 4 instead of 2. This deck does not seem to need a lot of colored mana so you may want to consider adding one more Cathedral of War.
Ok I freaking love valut skrige it is basically the perfect early game swinger and works cause i got plenty of spells to make it unblockable. This also all the guys i swing with have lifelink and flying. :D I'm not going to add cathedral of War since it enters the battlefield tapped, not just only being able to add colorless mana so it can slow my deck down pretty easily. My creatures and lands are perfect, at 23 each, so that give me room for 14 spells. This is what i have now for spells. I'm over by like 4. 

Protection and Unblockable: 6

I think this is a bit be too little but i'm not quite sure. It might work since i'm running a fair amount of removal. 

Removal: 6
[deck]
3 Duress
2 Path of Exile
1 Go for the Throat
[Deck]

I think i have too much and really want to cut a duress since i don't need that much noncreature removal but duress is nothing quite like real noncreautre removal. 

Other: 6
[deck]
3 sign in blood
3 Essence Harvest
[/deck]

My card draw is perfect. I love essence harvest it makes it much better since i can use it of a game drags on too long since my deck is more of an early-mid right now so it works but its the only card that i dont NEED  but i want it badly. 

What should i do? Thanks for the help. You guys have done soo much.

Your probably right about Cathedral of War, I forget it comes into play tapped sometimes. Like I said earlier I would consider running Vault Skirge because exalted lifelink is amazing and shuts down some decks hard. If you really love Esseence Harvest and it's actually the reason you are winning games then I would strongly consider running 4 of them. But again, personally I think it's a little too cute and would run zero.

I would recommend you run more removal, maybe somewhere between 4-8 spells, I would probably run like 6-8. 3 creature removal spells is probably not enough, you'll probably run into on average 1 per game and you may want to remove more than 1 creature. If I were you I would strongly consider running Inquisition of Kozilek over Duress because it's more creature removal, Duress hits big stuff like Planeswalkers though. I really would strongly encourage you to either play zero discard spells or at least 3 if not 4, discard late game is usually pointless, so you want to increase the odds of you drawing it earlier. Everything seems pretty solid though.

One more thing, find out how long your games are on average. If they are longer than 7 or 8 turns, Phyrexian Arena will be much better than Sign in Blood In multiplayer (and versus), Phyrexian Arena is a lifesaver, I can't tell you how many games I've won because I played that card on turn 3 or turn 4. Being able to draw two cards a turn for the rest of the game is an insanely huge deal and I find it is generally much better than Sign in Blood.

By the way, that's good you think your creature ratio is perfect but I would consider running fewer (maybe around 16-20) because this is not the type of deck that wants to overrun your opponent and having access to more removal and control can be very helpful in this type of deck. 
ok. Inquisitions of Kozliek looks good. I change around my removal i bit. I dont need a ton of creature removal since i can always make my guys unblockable. I just need enough so they can't hit me hard. sign in blood is much better for me right now and i want to keep my deck somewhat fast. you might be right about lowering the amount of my creatures but 16-20 is definetly way to little. Exalted is pretty much about creautres to support one guy to attack. I'll do some editing and playtesting then see what happens. 
GUYS I DESPERATLY NEED HELP CUTTING 4 CARDS OUT. I hate my noobish habit of adding all the cards possible. Btw, I cut out silent arbiter since it did not do much and was primarily a removal magnet  and I also cut double strike out. I did not really see that it play a large role. You can correct me on that. 

So this is what I have know. I've been racking my brain for a long time now trying to figure out which cards to cut.

Creatures: 21

Spells: 20
[deck]
3 Flickering Ward
2 Spirit Mantle
2 Emerge Unscathed 
3 Essence Harvest
2 Sign in Blood
1 Phyrexian Arena 
4 Inquisitions of the Kozilek
2 Go for the Throat
1 Path to Exile
[/deck]
[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
9 Swamps
[/deck] 

Gosh this deck is so hard to get right. Usually I can reach a conclusions pretty quick.

options;

1 swamp
1 arena
1-2 essence harvest
1 flickering ward
1-2 akrasan squire
1 go for the throat

mix yourself^^ id chosse 1 of the first 4 - and maybe replace a squire for a 3rd cathedral

I would cut Emerge Unscathed, you don't need it to win at all, but it seems like you love it. You could also cut a couple protection spells, maybe the Spirit Mantles. I wouldn't cut lands, this deck wants to hit a land every turn in the beginning.
I cannot cut my protection spells since they are pretty darn important. And the cathderal's sort of suck if you have a ton. I'm keeping 2. Right now creatures and lands should be fine. I have room for 15 spells, I have 19 right now NEED to cut 4. 

Heres the link to the deckbuilder if you want to playtest. 

Only read the first and this latest post.

1. If you're topping out at a 6 drop, you want at least 24 lands, maybe even 25.
2. Only using him in the precon on MTGO, I was unimpressed with Duty-Bound Dead. That regeneration cost is extreme.
3. I'd recommend Mother of Runes over Flickering Ward. As far as enchantments go, Flickering Ward is pretty good - but Mother of Runes is even better.
4. Not a fan of Spirit Mantle - asking for a 2-for-1, and you already have 10 evasive creatures.
5. Essence Harvest is just flat out card disadvantage - sure that doesn't matter if you finish them off with it, but you certainly don't need 4 copies for that. You have enough wincons without it; instead include something that won't be card disadvantage, or could even be card advantage (ie. Consuming Vapors).
6. More removal wouldn't hurt. The new Orzhov Charm can be used defensively (to rescue a crit of yours), or offensively (to kill one of their creatures). If you include Mother of Runes in the deck, even the return CMC 1-or-less creature to the battlefield mode is useful. Otherwise, Go for the Throat, Ultimate Price and Murder are consistent performers.
7. Exalted loves Loxodon Warhammer, especially if you have Silent Arbiter out - it means that removal spells will allow you creature to swing straight at the dome, and the lifelink can also be quite relevant.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Thanks but... errrr... could you read to other posts? there have been quite a lot going on since you joined. flickering ward is way better than mother of runes since you can bounce it back to avoid removal. and if i were to run mother of runes i would have to change my deck up a bit more. btw, duty-bound dead is the freaking best. I know that the regenerate is costly but that dosent make it a downfall. Exalted needs chumpblockers and cheap exalted so duty-bound dead is the best. Plus if have no creautres or other spells, being able to regenerate duty-bound dead gets pretty useful and can save you. I like warhammer but its not quite neceesary in my deck. since all the guys i use to swing with already have lifelink. I also cut silent arbiter since it was a removal magent and did not provide to much. Its true that i need more removal so thats what ive been working on. btw, you can competely disagree with me and think i'm stupid but i love my essence harvest. I'm keeping 4 just cuase of how awesome it is. 
Consuming Vapors sound nice. 

Here is what i have now. Trying to cut down my spells so i have 60. I always get to attached to my cards and never want to take any out. your can help me with that. 

Total Spells: 24 TOO MANY
[deck]
4 Flickering Ward
2 Spirit Mantle
4 Essence Harvest
3 Night's Whisper
4 Inquisitions of Kozilek
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Path to Exile
2 Consuming Vapors
[/deck]
[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
10 Swamps
[/deck]

Just remember, I'm never going to drop my essence harvest and i need a balance between removal and protection spells to make my guys unblockable. For my creatures i have cheap guys to give me exalted while i swing with either my vampire nighthawk, vault skrige or Baneslayer angel. My creautres seem fine but i might cut vault skrige but that dosent really help since i have too many spells. Another thing is that i cut out double strike boots early on since i did not see it play a large role. You can correct me on that. I really need to cut some cards 
Mother of Runes is a creature - so it can block, or attack - and isn't set into one color for its entire existance on the battlefield. Flickering Ward also interferes with Spirit Mantle, if you decide to keep it. To be fair though, Mother would do the same. As far as auras go Flickering Ward is pretty darn decent, but Mother of Runes is one of the best white 1 drops ever made (the others being Figure of Destiny and Martyr of Sands). You can keep Flickering Ward and it'll be fine, just make no mistake, in the overall scheme of things Mother is better.

Your games are probably going too long if you're reaching the point where you've got nothing to cast and so want to regen your Duty-Bound. Exalted is an aggressive archetype, so you want to be beating face quickly and efficiently. Though having said that, you're obviously going mid/late range with Nefarox in the list, so I guess it's fine.

Good luck in future tweaking; sounds like what you really need to do is take it for a spin, then taking note of which cards you're happy to draw, and which ones you aren't. And also anything that you're having too much trouble dealing with (Oblivion Ring could be a good inclusion, right now you're stuck if they have a powerful non-creature you fail to Duress).
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I pretty sure in my deck flickering ward is alot better. My deck is also built to be aggresive and having the regen is just a backup. usually never use it, but its a one drop exalted which is what i need. And bro, LOOK AT THE NEWER POSTS. I want help but could you get the more updated info? I was aiming for mid-late before but now ive tried to speed it up. i cut the overlord a long time ago. About removal is that i'm juggling around a bunch of stuff right now for my spells which is what i need help on. cutting my spells down and sorting out my removal and what not. I really want your help but can you at least skim through the other posts?

JaxsonBateman is correct, Mother of Runes is arguablely the greatest one drop creature ever. She's insane, she creates virtual unblockables, acts as an indestructable wall, she can protect other creatures on your team, she can swing etc.

Flickering Ward does have bad synergy with Spirit Mantle, but honestly it's still amazing. I would cut Spirit Mantle, I don't think it's bringing you that much, you already have a ton of creatures with flying, so the protection from creatures doesn't seem that important.

Consuming Vapors is a good card, but you say you want this deck to be fast, and if you really want it to be, Consuming Vapors isn't the best card to run. Honestly a lot of people have said to cut Essence Harvest, but you don't want to, do you have to decide what to cut. 
I hate you guys for making me cut my favorite card. I know that its unncessary but I really liked that card. I know how good mother runes but I wasnt quite sure since it can't be used on your opponents turn. But I cut spirit mantle anways. The deck seems ok. Do I have too little Removal? I liked consuming vapors but it was slow. 

This is what I got.  

Total Spells: 13
[deck]
4 Flickering Ward
3 Night's Whisper
2 Oblivion Ring
[/deck]
[deck]
2 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
10 Swamps
[/deck]

Mom is a card I think you would want to run 4 of, because she performs best where there are 2+ on the field, that way, Mom can give something protection, and the other Mom can protect her so she doesn't get blown up. She's still good when there's just 1, but there's a reason she's not nearly as scary in EDH. You don't have any spot creature removal aside from 2 Oblivion Rings, I think that's way too little, they also aren't instant. It seems like we have different play styles though. The deck is fine, and would perform pretty decently. If it were me, I would have less creatures, probably like only 18-20. If you ran less creatures you could have discard and creature removal. This deck doesn't need a lot of creatures, it's only swining with one each turn and right now you have 10 creatures that don't even have Exalted.

I meant to say this earlier, but I would strongly recommend Orzhov Charm for this deck. It gives you creature removal that hits all creatures, and although you will lose life, you have enough lifegain to make up for it. It can bounce a creature that is being targeted and it brings recursion with it's last ability, you can get Akrasan Squire, Duty-Bound Dead and Mother of Runes

The deck as it is now can work though, and it seems like you really like it so you can go for it, but running no instant spot removal when you are running black and white seems like a bad decision to me. 
I know! I'm having lots of problems with removal. I'm not very reluctant to cut creatures since i need creautures of the battlefield for exalted boosts. So I'm not quite sure about that. Ill try to cut some down. Get back to you guys later. I really miss essence harvest, wins were soooo quick when I had a essence harvest.

@honor, you're telling me that i have too many non exalted creatures while you telling me to add mother runes when she is a non-exalted herself? Can you tell me what you mean. This is what i've got now. I still think i'm lacking in creautres and i badly want essence harvest. Playtests pretty play so far. 

Total Spells: 16
[deck]
3 Flickering Ward
3 Night's Whisper
3 Orzhov Charm
1 Path to Exile
2 Disenchat
[/deck]
[deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
9 Swamps
[/deck]

Questions: Is Orzhov Charm good enough to run 4? Should I cut some flickering ward? Nobody has answered this question, Do I need double strike? Thanks.
Since nobody is replying I updated it a bit. 

Total Spells: 15
[deck]
2 Flickering Ward
2 Night's Whisper
1 Phyrexian Arena
3 Orzhov Charm
2 Path to Exile
2 Disenchat
[deck]
[/deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
9 Swamps
[deck]
Questions: Is Orzhov Charm good enough to run 4? Should I cut some flickering ward? Nobody has answered this question, Do I need double strike? Thanks. 
Since nobody is replying I updated it a bit. 

Total Spells: 15
[deck]
2 Flickering Ward
2 Night's Whisper
1 Phyrexian Arena
3 Orzhov Charm
2 Path to Exile
2 Disenchat
[deck]
[/deck]
3 Cathedral of War
4 Godless Shrine
8 Plains
9 Swamps
[deck]
Questions: Is Orzhov Charm good enough to run 4? Should I cut some flickering ward? Nobody has answered this question, Do I need double strike? Thanks. 

Don't run Disenchant, Oblivion Ring is far more verstile. 

I would keep both Baneslayers but cut both the Vault Skirge. You have Mom now, which is great. I would run at least 3 charms, 4 works also though.

It looks very solid now. 
Sign In to post comments