Question regarding desert wind monk

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Am currently trying to build a decent desert wind monk and would like some advice on a few choices and other stuff:
Does Blistering flourish trigger Firewind Blade, it says it works on fire attacks and blistering flourish has the fire keyword even though it doesn't actually deal fire damage.

Is blessing of blazing fangs really worth it? I noticed it was rated gold in the item handbook but the designated desert wind powers seems good enough (except for salamander charge) so you would be able to trigger firewind blade most of the time anyways and if you use the blessing you are wasting your flurry on yourself instead of damaging enemies with it and all for a piddly 2 damage. Also if you take Soaring blade or Malec keth you could choose any power after they come online.

Dead tiefling or dead firesoul genasi? tiefling's got the most fire support but genasi get to deal fire dmg on melee attacks without enchant at lv 11 thanks to shocking flame (though you need the rules questionable extra manifestation trick to do it if i remember correctly)  and with Soaring blade or Malec keth you could add frost damage and in extension frostcheese to the mix (thus bypassing fire resistance)

Yes Firewind triggers on Blistering Flourish.

The goal of using the blessing (and it is an Alternative Reward, you better have a very good reason for your DM to just give it to you) along with Soaring Blade and Shocking Flame (actually, you'd go Stormsoul) is to deal as many types of damage as possible for their various support. Cold for Lasting Frost, Fire for Firewind, Lightning for Gifts for the Queen + Promise of Storm
Ah hadn't thought of also abusing lightning support, that'd explain the usefulness of the blessing which I would (probably) have no problem getting access to since the DM has allowed me to use boons before (namely pelors sun blessing) XD
Don't really know what gifts for the queen is though?

Also is it worth mc'ing sorceror to steal flame spiral (though i would probably have to go 18 dex 18 cha in that case)? 
Armisael also vastly overvalues it in his guide.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
hence me questioning it! I guess it's just easier to just pick the monk powers dealing fire damage (Maybe stealing sorceror powers trough mcing but maybe there's a better Mc?) after all I did have to bring down a cult that tried to turn the world into a part of the Shadowfell in order to get Pelors sun blessing XD

Did find out that gifts of the queen was a set, one takes it mostly for the set bonus correct? Though the radiant converting helm could certainly be useful with some help from a friendly morninglord

Also what theme would be optimal? Though I suppose one of Weretheme/Firecrafter/Sohei/Infernal prince will be the answer XD  
The Monk fire powers are all quite good. They generally either boost your damage or give you multiple damage instances. Flame Spiral is a nice enough power swap, though it's not as powerful on a Monk as on a Sorceror because a Monk won't have quite as many damage roll bonuses (no Sorc striker feature, no DIS, etc.) to apply. Still a great option, though, particularly if you take it on one of your weaker levels.

For themes, Firecrafter and Sarifal Feywarden (non-Drow fey) are my top picks, because they both can generate vulnerability, which a Desert Wind Monk will proc multiple times per turn with their powers. That said, Infernal Prince has that +1 on Fire powers, which is also incredibly strong. I don't like it because it's banned in LFR, but it's very powerful. Also note that, if you do take Firecrafter, the attack power swaps are hella weak, so don't bother with them. Do take the U6 Daily, though.

Anyway... One of the bigger problems a Desert Wind Monk will have is getting around Fire resistance, and you've correctly identified the two races that negate that weakness. Genasi add a second damage type, and Tieflings have that incredible resistance-piercing feat.

Also, Gifts of the Queen is probably not worth it here. But it's also not wasted if you do a Stormsoul Genasi with Shocking Flame. Really, the only mandatory items on a DW Monk are the Firewind Blade and a Ki Dagger. The other item slots are prettty flexible.
Speak of the Devil.

I was just about to link Tobascodagama's build. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Revenant Teifling for constant bleed monk.

Feats should include:
Slashing Kama Style
Icy Clutch of Stygia
Beshaba's Boon

Genasi doesn't really get around the resist thing, you aren't doing 35 fire and lightning damage which requires both resists, you're doing 22 fire and 13 lightning damage which only requires fire OR lightning to reduce the particular value.
That's just straight-up wrong.
That's a compelling argument you make, a shame the rules disagree.
That's a compelling argument you make, a shame the rules disagree.

Actually they don't.

Against Combined Damage Types A creature’s resistance is ineffective against combined damage types unless the creature has resistance to each of the damage types, and then only the weakest of the resistances applies.
    Example: A creature has resist 10 lightning and resist 5 thunder, and an attack deals 15 lightning and thunder damage to it. The creature takes 10 lightning and thunder damage, because the resistance to the combined damage types is limited to the lesser of the two (in this case, 5 thunder). If the creature had only resist 10 lightning, it would take all 15 damage from the attack. 
You'll note combined damage is "15 lightning and thunder damage" not "10 lightning and 5 thunder damage". MKJ + Shocking Flame + Radiant One, or whatever, isn't combined damage
So if I used a melee fire power as a genasi with shocking flame I would trigger the fire resist twice? Wouldn't that mean they were two separate damage instances meaning I would also trigger vulnerability twice on the fire power and twice on the flurry (since it is also a melee attack triggering shocking flame), like the vulnerability generated from the U6 from firecrafter.
Somehow I find this very unlikely, personally I think It would fall under the combined damage rule (though the firewind blade should still trigger the vulnerabilty or resist as that truly is a separate damage instance).

Also I switched to bard mc for the build as Echoing weapon seems like a good way to up single target damage on the nova turn as it is a minor action attack of a sorts
"How much of your damage was Fire?" "15 and 5 extra" "So 20"
"How much Lightning damage did you deal? "6"

versus how something like Dragon Breath: Lightning with the Thundering Breath Feat, or when you Arcane Admixture something.
"How much of your damage was Lightning?" "all of it"
"How much of your damage was Thunder?" "all of it"

Really not seeing how this is difficult.
Yes it might be 2 lightning and 15 fire but it's still 17 fire and lightning damage, they are unseparable when dealt, ie one instance of damage. 
Is there a rule source for this or is this the general consensus, though If thats the case I guess I stand corrected then XD.
Also if this holds true would revenant tiefling be the superior choice to revenant genasi? If I remember correctly there's no resitance piercing feat till epic tier 
17 untyped damage and an extra 2 cold is different from 19 cold, honest. The real question would be where you'd find a rule that forced them to combine.

Tons of notation throughout the game should change if that were the case.  
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
iirc, staple Desert Wind monk attacks do fire+psionic damage.
It is very unlikely that a creature that is resistant to both.
Psionic is not a type of damage.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Ah...psychic then? Or is that completely different? I don't have the CB or PHB handy right now.
nvm...I was confusing it with force damage  Tongue Out
Seems like most of the Desert Wind-oriented powers I can think of do either fire or untyped.  Don't know of any that do psychic or force, but I also haven't looked at it much for paragon or epic.
17 untyped damage and an extra 2 cold is different from 19 cold, honest. The real question would be where you'd find a rule that forced them to combine.

Tons of notation throughout the game should change if that were the case.  

Yeah I guess the combined damage type rule doesn't really cover it, and here i thought it was a natural asumption to assume they did combine considering how resists normally work...  Guess it's bad news for the build, being resisted multiple times on a single attack doesn't sound like fun XD (altough I would gain some damage on the daily nova).
Hmm going Revenant tiefling is starting to sound a whole lot better, though i would miss out on lightning support and would be more constrained in power selection at epic (though I doubt the campaign would make it that far so thats not really a disadvantage) 

Yes Firewind triggers on Blistering Flourish.

The goal of using the blessing (and it is an Alternative Reward, you better have a very good reason for your DM to just give it to you) along with Soaring Blade and Shocking Flame (actually, you'd go Stormsoul) is to deal as many types of damage as possible for their various support. Cold for Lasting Frost, Fire for Firewind, Lightning for Gifts for the Queen + Promise of Storm

The second, hidden bonus to it is that it is extra damage. You really really want to hit allies with a bunch of low-power attacks and redirect them to yourself to get something like +16 damage on a nova turn.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Unfortunately,  that strategy only works in magical theory land. The Boon is not-quite-useless in real play.

I doubt it. There are ways to guarantee oneself a setup round, if the encounter doesn't grant you one. This would be applicable with like, an INT Avenger or something, but not a DEX character.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Let's not also forget that some DMs, and the LFR ruleset, forbid attacking allies without their consent.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Its also not like we've told Arm over and over he plays almost an entirely different game from the rest of us.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
There's also the unpopular option of using bag of rats to deny any option that relies on not hitting an enemy.
There's also the unpopular option of using bag of rats to deny any option that relies on not hitting an enemy.

Not just unpopular, but stupid. There is zero grounding for it when the Anarusi Codex exists, unless you're gonna houserule it out of existence.
Bag of Rats is one of those things that doesn't _really_ care what convoluted method you use to get to "I hit my friends in a way that doesn't matter so I get something cool". It's not well worded. It's entirely at the DM's discretion. It's entirely unpopular in CO land.

But I wouldn't want to base a build on it, either. Nevermind the improbability of getting the rest of the pieces lined up right.
Bag of Rats is one of those things that doesn't _really_ care what convoluted method you use to get to "I hit my friends in a way that doesn't matter so I get something cool". It's not well worded. It's entirely at the DM's discretion. It's entirely unpopular in CO land.

But I wouldn't want to base a build on it, either. Nevermind the improbability of getting the rest of the pieces lined up right.

Yeesh, we're almost into 5th edition and people are still using nonrigid containers filled with small animals?