Planning for Gate Crash: BUG Zombies

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This decklist I made tentative to Gatecrash spoiling but here's what I've decided so far.

Creature 19
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born x3
Gravecrawler x4
Geralf's Messenger x4
Butcher Ghoul x4
Diregraf Captain x4

Enchantment 5
Rooftop Storm x2
Rancor x3

Artifact 3
Dimir Keyrune x3

Sorcery 8
Increasing Ambition x4
Farseek x4

Plainswalker 2
Liliana of the Veil x2

Land 23
Watery Grave x3
Drowned Catacomb x3
Breeding Pool x3
Hinterland Harbor x3
Overgrown Tomb x3
Woodland Cemetery x3
Island x1
Forest x1
Swamp x1
Evolving Wilds x2

The overall philosophy is combo.  Diregraf Captain, Rooftop Storm, Gravecrawler, and Grimgrin, Corpse-Born is a insta-win combo but I also had the deck designed in such a way that it wasn't utterly dependent on this 4 card--rather high mana cost--combo.  The Dimir Keyrune and Farseek will help significantly mitigate the high cost of the combo and tutors.

Now I was thinking about Blood Artist instead of Butcher Ghoul but I like Butcher Ghoul more for the double-sac for Grimgrin, Corpse-Born's engine.  Another notable idea would be having Negate or Duress instead of Rancor to protect the combo from pesky kill spells, Oblivion Ring, or Unsummon and similar cards.

The major weaknesses I see in the deck is first and foremost no anti-air but I figure I can tailor a sideboard to kill fliers.  The other is an utter lack of control outside of Grimgrin, Corpse-Born or Liliana of the Veil and there isn't much room for it.  I suppose I could forgo the Evolving Wilds and put in a Cavern of Souls but that won't mitigate non-counter spot removal.

Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions welcomed.
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Cut the Grimgrin combo and all the pieces to search for it. It is too slow, easy to disrupt, mana intensive, and card intensive to really be worth playing. Drop Butcher Ghoul as well, he isn't worth it. I don't think Liliana is what you want to be running in a Zombies deck either.

So basically

-3 Grimgrin
-4 Butcher Ghoul
-2 Rooftop Storm
-3 Dimir Keyrune
-4 Increasing Ambition
-4 Farseek
-2 Liliana of the Veil
-1 Rancor

This should free up 23 slots in the deck for other more meaningful cards.

I would suggest something like.

+4 Diregraf Ghoul
+4 Blood Artist
+4 Lotleth Troll
+4 Dreg Mangler
+4 Tragic Slip
+2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
+1 Land

I would also switch up the mana base a bit for something like this, since Diregraf Captain is the only thing you would be splashing :U: for. Something like.

4 Watery Grave
4 Breeding Pool
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Swamp
2 Forest
1 Island

15 :B: sources (17 if you count Cavern)
14 :G: sources (16 if you count Cavern)
10 :U: sources (12 if you count Cavern)
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
So basicly get rid of his entire deck idea and run the already played G/B zombie deck? Yeah that was helpful.

Staying on track with the actual deck he wants to build here; It looks fun I like it. I dont really think that you need increasing ambition here though. If youve got enough mana to cast it you might as well just be casting a big threat anyway. I think starting with the blood artist in that spot is fine for now.

An issue im seeing here though is your mana base. Look what your deck wants to do:

Turn 1: Gravecrawler - Balck Mana
Turn 3: Geralf's Messenger - Tripple balck mana.

This means that inbetween those two turn your going to need to play the thrid black mana source. This is conflicting with the farseeks you proably want to play turn two. Its not unreaosnable though; I just suggest going up to 4 with both overgrown tomb and woodland cemetary to relaibly be able to do this. Considering many of your cards require more than 1 balck mana to cast and the cards that DO require blue are much more late game You can easily cut some of your blue sources to do this. Take out the Hinterland harbors for a start. Breeding pool is okay since you will be abel to search for it with your farseek if need be. I dont think you need to basic island either. Try adding in a few more basic swamp with the room left in the deck to make your mana more relaible. Oh and Evolving Wilds is uselss here dont even bother. The mana's too perfect in this format to even bother with it :P If you REALLY thought more fixing is necessary then Guildgates are a much better option anyway.

As for ideas Abrupt Decay is always a great answer to a variety of cards.

I do agree that Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord would find a place in this deck both as another win condition. Say they exile your gravecrawlers then what? Just toss your giant Grimgrim at there face lol.

I think a card you really want in this deck is Havengul Lich. It will alwo you to recur any of your zombies for only 1 mana (provided you have your rooftop storm out). How nice and flavorful would it be for your opponent to use kill spell after kill spel only to have your entire army of the dead return form he grave and kill them? The 4/4 body isnt half bad either.
Lucktastic thank you I'll take that on board and change my deck list a bit.  It is imperative to note that this is very fluid and tentative to what is or is not in Gate Crash.

I've also been toying with the idea of BU zombie mill with Undead Alchemist which would be a ton of fun against aggro-decks.

I've absolutely zero desire to play the B/G zombie decks.
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
So basicly get rid of his entire deck idea and run the already played G/B zombie deck? Yeah that was helpful.

*sigh*

Now I remember why I stopped posting here.

Excuse me for trying to help him create a deck he can actually win games with, because this whole Grimgrin combo thing just isn't going to. Even at the FNM level I doubt this is going to accomplish much.

I assume people post here looking to make their deck better, and quite frankly, that is what I attempted to do.

Relying on a 4 card combo that takes a ton of mana to accomplish and can be disrupted with a single removal spell is not where you want to be. Even more so when you are running cards like Farseek, Ambition, and Rooftop Storm, all of which do absolutely nothing for you outside of trying to pull off said combo.

He asked for suggestions, which I can only assume means he wants to make his deck more consistent, which is what I was trying to do. Its not my fault if he or anyone else doesn't like the advice.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

*sigh*

Now I remember why I stopped posting here.

Excuse me for trying to help him create a deck he can actually win games with, because this whole Grimgrin combo thing just isn't going to. Even at the FNM level I doubt this is going to accomplish much.

I assume people post here looking to make their deck better, and quite frankly, that is what I attempted to do.

Relying on a 4 card combo that takes a ton of mana to accomplish and can be disrupted with a single removal spell is not where you want to be. Even more so when you are running cards like Farseek, Ambition, and Rooftop Storm, all of which do absolutely nothing for you outside of trying to pull off said combo.

He asked for suggestions, which I can only assume means he wants to make his deck more consistent, which is what I was trying to do. Its not my fault if he or anyone else doesn't like the advice.

There's nothing wrong with giving people suggestions, but giving them doesn't guarantee that they will take them.  Don't try to railroad someone into trying your idea.  All they'll do is resent it.
To be fair, Eon, you basically said 'don't play that deck, play this one.' The OP asked for advice within the deck concept he/she proposed.