Staple sideboard card

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Archive Purge 
Sorcery

Choose a card type. Target player reveals his or her library and exiles five cards of the chosen card type, then shuffles his or her library. If there are less than five cards of the chosen type, all are exiled.

What this card can do:

1.) Cripples very creature light decks, like some variants of bant control that run 12 creatures tops.
2.) Hoses auras decks entirely.
3.) More often than not empties decks of planeswakers completely.
4.) Great against decks very light on sorceries, like Nayas with little else other than Bonfire.
5.) Can be used mainboard by mill decks, since cutting 5 lands from a deck makes Mind Funeral amazing.

Now my question to you is: is this card undercosted? I think it should cost just like Slaughter Games (4 cmc) if YOU were the one making the choices, but after all, your opponent decides which cards are exiled.
If the opponent is the one searching then can you see his library. Maybe the words should be added to reveal the opponent's library. Otherwise he could leave one in there draw it and say it was in his hand the whole time. Also the words "up to" are misleading. It should just say 5 and if there isn't 5 then all of them.

Anyway, I love the card but I think it's not blue. I would cost it as personally.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Milling is both blue and black, hence the cost. 

About revealing...I don't really know if it's necessary. I mean, Magic is inherently a game where you ought not lie...because by that same logic, I can put a Scalding Tarn in my Standard deck and not have any problems as long as I keep it in a non-public zone (i.e. I don't play it).

But it is also true that in some respects Wizards are actually more malleable rules-wise than YMTC. For instance, I firmly believe that were Miracle a homebrew mechanic that someone came up in this subforum, most people would slander it as too tedious to implement.
It's not a mill type of effect even though it removes cards from the library. It's a cranial extraction type of effect.

It seems like every new effect on YMTC is automatically blue simply because it's unique or whatever. I've only been frequenting the YMTC forums for the past 2-3 months but this is already a pet peeve of mine. 

As far as cheating goes if I have 5 cards in hand and my opponent names "planeswalker" and I fail to remove jace, the mind sculptor from my deck and remove only 4 or fewer planeswalkers but then draw jace, the mind sculptor there is no way for the opponent to know if the card was ever in the deck because I will just say it's been in my hand the whole time.

I understand that players "shouldn't" cheat, however, mechanics which have no checks and balances against cheating also "shouldn't" exist because the fact of the matter is, not everyone is honest. Even if it gets caught by judges in tournaments that doesn't help people in casual play groups etc...
Don't be too smart to have fun
About revealing...I don't really know if it's necessary. I mean, Magic is inherently a game where you ought not lie...because by that same logic, I can put a Scalding Tarn in my Standard deck and not have any problems as long as I keep it in a non-public zone (i.e. I don't play it).

in that example, you cheating never actually affects the game
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Rules state that you can just fail to find.

Choose a card type. Target player reveals his or her library and exiles five cards of the chosen card type, then shuffles his or her library.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

It's not a mill type of effect even though it removes cards from the library.

Que?

I understand that players "shouldn't" cheat, however, mechanics which have no checks and balances against cheating also "shouldn't" exist because the fact of the matter is, not everyone is honest. Even if it gets caught by judges in tournaments that doesn't help people in casual play groups etc...

I just gave an example of a mechanic that, by that same logic, shouldn't exist. Miracle. 

Rules state that you can just fail to find.

I can't argue with that, though... 
Miracle works because it triggers off of being revealed, not drawn.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Too often a player puts a card into hand before reading it. Once the card is hand, it would be easy to claim one just drew it.

Purge is interesting. Perhaps too powerfull 40 card draft
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Miracle works because it triggers off of being revealed, not drawn.

But you can reveal it cheatingly from your hand and make it look like it wasn't topdecked. That was my point.
Miracle doesn't rely on "honesty" if you don't choose to let it rely on "honesty." If your opponent puts a card into his or her hand and shuffles his or her hand, and then wants to use a miracle, then there is no reason you have to let them use the card. So I have no idea how that has anything to do with anything.

Furthermore, failing to find isn't "cheating" even if you do have a target.

Next, just cost the card a bit higher and require the opponent to reveal his or her deck. No big deal, its a hugely easy fix to all of this.

And yes, this isn't mill and thus isn't blue. 
You an always tell which ymtcers don't actually play standard.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Sign In to post comments