Izzet Pinger deck?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friend posted this deck online, and I had to steal it (after making some modifications to it of course).  I already own most of the cards in it too, so it should be super cheap.  Here's the list before I say anything else:

the point of the deck is to use those shrinking spells like Snakeform and ping the creature while it's still puny, but also draw cards off of Curiosity.

I like the spells to be cheap so it's easy to copy them, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

so far I've tested out Serendib Sorcerer and Dream's Grip in the deck, and I like Grip over Mizzium Skin so far but I decided to use Mizzium Skin anyways as some defense against spot removal.  As for the Serendibs, they were only OK.  I liked that they were re-usable but not much else as it's hard to ping a 0/2 guy to death.  I generally prefer to just copy my shrinking spells with guildmage.  I've tried some other things like Manamorphose and Electrickery but they didn't really work out as well in testing. 

anyways, the deck is super fun to play when it gets going, so I hope you guys have some ideas to make it more resilient to removal or sweeps or whatever (though I guess counterspells would be the obvious choice)
I don't no about you guys but i don't really see a wincon in this deck. You have lots of creature removal with the shrinking and pinging but how are you going to win? Btw, you should incorporate your izzet guildmage better by adding training grounds so copying spells only cost one mana. XD
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I don't no about you guys but i don't really see a wincon in this deck. You have lots of creature removal with the shrinking and pinging but how are you going to win? Btw, you should incorporate your izzet guildmage better by adding training grounds so copying spells only cost one mana. XD

I generally win off of Guttersnipe and godawful ammounts of pings to the dome.  Usually by turn 4 or 5 I can do around 4-6+ per turn damage with just Guttersnipe and Gelectrode in play.

as for Training Grounds, I'd rather not.  The only creature I have that it would work on is the guildmage, so adding a card just for him would not be wise, especially when I'm considering taking him out in favor of something like Reverberate that does the same thing, but also triggers Guttersnipe
id rather give my creature deathtouch than mess about with bad blue pseudoremoval
Ovinize is strictly better than turn to frog, so you should switch their numbers around. I would replace Izzet Guildmage with another  pinger. I would just go with the pinger strategy by adding crackleburr and building around it:

EDIT: I realized that i didnt add curiosity, but I couldn't figure out what to replace it with, you can figure it out in playtesting  
I got a beat down last week by a deck using pemmin's aura to superping, and he also used charisma so maybe consider those
I hadn't considered Crackleburr, somehow I always forget about him, I'll have to test that out, thanks! :D

I know Ovinize is strictly better, I just like Turn to Frog more, so I run 4.  In the end it doesn't really matter in this deck, the point is to get the creature's toughness to 1, I don't really care about power.

I also used to run staticasters, but I hated that they can't hit players, which gives them no synergy at all with Curiosity

Edit:  OP updated, added Crackleburr and Razorfin Hunter, removed Mizzium Skin, took out 3 Tims for 1 Prodigal Pyromancer (AKA Red Tim) plus those other things.  Also added one Ovinize and took out one Turn to Frog 
A mite of allows you to run Nightshade Peddler, which is currently making waves in Standard. Or you can do Basilisk Collar and forgo splashing.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
A mite of allows you to run Nightshade Peddler, which is currently making waves in Standard. Or you can do Basilisk Collar and forgo splashing.

:G: also allows me to run Keen Sense...

I'll have to think about that.  I don't wanna over extend myself, but there are some pretty useful things I can do with :G: at my disposal

Same goes for Basilisk Collar, but that's much easier to splash at least.  I'll see if I can make room for it

I generally win off of Guttersnipe and godawful ammounts of pings to the dome.  Usually by turn 4 or 5 I can do around 4-6+ per turn damage with just Guttersnipe and Gelectrode in play.

as for Training Grounds, I'd rather not.  The only creature I have that it would work on is the guildmage, so adding a card just for him would not be wise, especially when I'm considering taking him out in favor of something like Reverberate that does the same thing, but also triggers Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe as a win-con is pretty good- I've got a Guttersnipe deck myself.

If you can fit in Think Twice, by all means, do it. It makes those Guttersnipes so much more effective.

This will probably fail utterly against other non-creature control decks, but it's still going to be fun to play. Needs more Tim
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

This will probably fail utterly against other non-creature control decks, but it's still going to be fun to play. Needs more Tim

it had Tim, as well as Red Tim in it originally, but I took them out because Razorfin Hunter costs 2 and without him all of the creatures cost 3.

Think Twice is a fun option, I used to use it and Telling Time all the time in the TS standard days, but I think I have enough cantripping spells that I don't need it.  If I come up against a creatureless deck I can always Ovinize my own creatures just to get Guttersnipe or Gelectrode activations too ;)

Maybe I'll make a Sideboard for this one just for that one specific scenario.  I could side out my shrinkers for things that make my creatures bigger/harder to kill like Mizzium Skin too.  Anyone got any other sideboard ideas?

added a sideboard to the OP with more deathtouch for decks with guys I can't ping to death and some things to use against decks with few to no creatures in them.  I know Quietus Spike only works on combat damage, but if my opponent has very few creatures, and I can kill them, then it'll be devastating or at the very least counterspell bait.
Sorry for the double post, I just figured since it's now 2 pages I should post a current decklist so you don't have to page back to check it

I reluctantly took out Turn to Frog and put Ovinize to 4.  Added 4 Dream's Grip so I could mess around with Crackleburr a bit better.  Deck's 62 cards now, but I don't mind that so much