Need some Deck Info for Modern

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

I recently have gotten back into MTG and I decided to look into a good modern deck now. I have had many decks that have rotated out of Standard since I last played and would like to revamp all of them to Modern. However, I realize that some of them will just be too slow for this format. So the purpose of this topic is for the following two things:
1-To get an idea of what I can expect to face in Modern events. Nothing big, about same competitive level as FNM I'd assume. I know with a format this big that there will be a lot of decks but if there are any recurring themes to expect it would nice to have a heads up.
2-To see which of my decks I could revamp to Modern and not fail horribly. I'd also like to try and keep the core concept of the deck intact.

Here are a few of the decks I have and would like to try in modern. Let me know if they have any hope.
Infect- Of all my decks, this is only one I have seen any hope for around the forums so far. The problem is, my deck is a Black Infect deck with a lot of the nice rares. That is a problem because all the infect decks I've seen are using UG common infects with tons of pumps -.- Personally, I was hoping to do Black and Green or Blue. But is it possible to still use some cards like Hand of the Praetors and Phyrexian Crusader? Or should I just give in and go for the Plague Stinger and Glisting Elf with an ungodly number of pumps tactic?
Bant Exalted- This is the deck I just can't get rid of. It was my first MTG deck and I have tried and tried to make it work ever since. I did have some success after Scars came out (Neurok Invisimancer and Distortion Strike), but it was Extended then and I know no one who plays Extended. Do you think the Exalted Mechanic has any place in Modern? Or would the deck just be too slow to pull off the combos? The new Exalted Angel does give me much more hope though.
Myr- Well they worked decently in Standard. Tempered Steel with a ton of Colorless Myr and White's Removal. Think I could make a stronger version in Modern? I am sure it has a ton more Artifact cards, but I am worried that the Myr part would be lost.
Goblins- Well, they may not be the strongest, but every format has goblins. I started with them around Worldwake and have been expanding them since. I know I can easily make a Modern Goblin the deck, the question is will it be competitive in the slightest?
UB Mill- This was a deck I was working towards when I took a break from MTG. while I am now considering bringing it into standard, I still haven't given up on the original idea of a Modern version. So, does Mill work in this format?
Landfall- This was a hit or miss deck back in standard. I went with WG and focused around making tokens with Emeria Angel and Rampaging Baloths. I hoped the Selesnya Populate from RTR would help me make a better Landfall deck, but so far the two themes don't seem to mix well (maybe splashing Call of the Conclave). So, would a WG Token deck using the two Landfall Token Generators work in Modern?

So which decks do you think would be worth looking into and which do you think should be set aside/given up on? In the long run, I will probably try them all in Modern (since I am not getting rid of any). But for now, I want to focus on one or two that won't suck too much. So which do you think have the best odds of success in Modern?

I've recently built a modern goblin deck i found online.  Its fairly competitive, plays out as a hyper aggressive deck backed with burn.  Is it the best deck? No. Is it fun? Hell yeah!  Cheap to build too, the most expensive card in the deck is goblin guide.  I can post a decklist if you like.

I'd love to see the deck list. I already got a playset of Goblin Guides from my Zendiakr Goblin deck, so I could probably built it easily enough.
I also forgot to mention that I do have a Burn Deck. It made a Legacy Version of it after Premium Series Fire and Lighting came out. I do plan to make that into a Modern Deck eventually. Also, I am looking into a RDW for Standard, which currently has a lot of nice cards like Vexing Devil, which I am sure will make the Modern deck later on.
So yah, I am very interested in trying Goblin and Burn decks in Modern and I know that even if they aren’t very competitive they will probably work well enough.

You have any comments on the other decks?

One sees both Infect and Landfall decks in modern. Infect is usually . Landfall is .

Goblin Guide is popular in Modern RDW, but I don't think Goblins more generally are a staple in Modern.
One sees both Infect and Landfall decks in modern. Infect is usually . Landfall is .

Goblin Guide is popular in Modern RDW, but I don't think Goblins more generally are a staple in Modern.

Thanks for the reply. How well does the 3 color infect work? I saw a lot more UG than UBG since it seemed unblockable and pumps were the main focus. Are there any successful build with stuff like Hand of the Praetors, Ichor Rats, and Phyrexian Crusader? Or are all the good builds focused around the 1-2 drop infect creatures with Hierarch for mana and the rest is just pumps? Personally I'd prefer 2 color infect over 3 color (due to lands), but it seems that if I do go two color UG is way better than any with black. Any comments there or examples?

As for landfall, are there any White/Green decks? It would really suck to exclude my Rampaging Baloths and Lotus Cobras from a Landfall deck. And I expected I'd grab Knight of the Reliquary for it too if I made it in Modern. And it would be nice to see it work with my Selesnya Aggro when it rotates out of standard. It would be nice if anyone could link me to an example of a decent Modern Landfall deck so I could get an idea of how it works.

I will certainly be trying RDW or Burn (the two can act alike at times), maybe both depending on shared cards. Although I will probably try goblins on the side. I mean I got 90% of the Modern Goblins lying around XD

Also, does anyone have any idea if Bant Exalted would work in any way in Modern? With the new Sublime Angel I am much more hopefully that the deck could work, but I am not sure if it could keep up with Modern. Are there any formats, besides Standard, where exalted works well?

Modern Gobbos:

assemble sideboard to suit your meta

Just a simple, linear deck that's cheap to build. 
Modern Gobbos:

assemble sideboard to suit your meta

Just a simple, linear deck that's cheap to build. 

Thanks for the decklist. Just to check, would you consider adding any of the following?
Bloodmark Mentor
Boggart Ram-Gang
Lightning Crafter
Siege-Gang Commander
Warren Instigator
Ember Hauler
Claws of Valakut

Those are cards I have from old goblin decks (Standard and Extended). Warren Instigator would be the one I'd really love to add in. Simian spirit guide is the only creature there that I question, any comments on how useful it is? Also, I think I may try with Claws of the Valakut over fists of the anvil and grafted wargear.
Thanks for the reply. How well does the 3 color infect work? I saw a lot more UG than UBG since it seemed unblockable and pumps were the main focus. Are there any successful build with stuff like Hand of the Praetors, Ichor Rats, and Phyrexian Crusader? Or are all the good builds focused around the 1-2 drop infect creatures with Hierarch for mana and the rest is just pumps? Personally I'd prefer 2 color infect over 3 color (due to lands), but it seems that if I do go two color UG is way better than any with black. Any comments there or examples?

This is a decklist I lifted directly from another post in this forum.

As you can see, it technically has a splash of , but it's Phyrexian and only the Hierarch produces .

As for landfall, are there any White/Green decks? It would really suck to exclude my Rampaging Baloths and Lotus Cobras from a Landfall deck. And I expected I'd grab Knight of the Reliquary for it too if I made it in Modern. And it would be nice to see it work with my Selesnya Aggro when it rotates out of standard. It would be nice if anyone could link me to an example of a decent Modern Landfall deck so I could get an idea of how it works.

Landfall seems to be primarily Boros colors, e.g. , but Zoo or : is certainly possible.

Here's a lifted Boros version using a few spoiled Gatecrash cards:

[deck]

4 Goblin Guide
4 Plated Geopede
4 Steppe Lynx
3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Boros Charm
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
3 Searing Blaze
2 Shard Volley

2 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
5 Mountain[/deck]

Sideboard:

[deck]
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
3 Skullcrack
3 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Blood Moon[/deck]

Here's a Zoo version I lifted with one correction - "Ranger of Eos" for "Knight of Eos" in original:

[deck]

4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Steppe Lynx
4 Plated Geopede
4 Wild Nacatl
2 Loam Lion
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
3 Scythe Tiger
4 Ranger of Eos

4 Path to Exile

4 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Arid Mesa
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Marsh Flats
2 Scalding Tarn
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
2 Stomping Grounds
1 Plains[/deck]

I won't comment on the viability of any of these. Apologies to those who's deck lists I lifted without credit. You can find all of these along with the discussion in this forum.

Also, does anyone have any idea if Bant Exalted would work in any way in Modern? With the new Sublime Angel I am much more hopefully that the deck could work, but I am not sure if it could keep up with Modern. Are there any formats, besides Standard, where exalted works well?

Sublime is widely used in many Standard decks, but would you really call them Exalted decks? In other words, I don't think Exalted really works in Standard.

This post has gone on way too long already but I personally play an Artifact deck with Metalcraft and a smidgen of Affinity. It's fun, it was cheaper to build than some Standard decks and it's reasonably competitive.

I think I saw that infect deck before on forums. If I remember right, I think in comments it was suggested to go UG for more consistence =\ I guess the only viable option are weak infectors with pump. Kinda sad since I got all the other cards that will just be unused -.-

While those landfall decks look decent, they aren’t really what I think of as landfall. I'm more looking for something with the higher cost landfallers and tokens than a low mana curve aggro. Although, based on what I've seen, I assume most good modern decks focus around a low mana curve and that higher cost cards generally aren’t as useful/realizable. Still, would a WG Landfall Token deck be possible, or would it be too inconsistent due to all the high cost cards required for the set up?

Also, I have seen some exalted decks in standard. Usually Grey Exalted or WG Exalted. Probably still far from tier 2, but from what I hear they can work pretty decently. At the moment it seems the only format where I have any hope of pulling off Exalted may be commander, and that is quite a stretch XD Still, do you think a Bant Exalted deck has any hope in Modern? Or, like I mentioned above about a Token Landfall, would it be too requiring of high cost and combos to get anywhere in the format?

For the moment, I don't think I will be looking much into Artifact decks. I know I do want to try to revamp my Myr deck, and I am sure there are several Artifact cards in Modern that can improve it. I am not sure if I will be able to keep it a Myr theme though, since the ld Myr cards were rather lacking imo.

Thanks for the decklist. Just to check, would you consider adding any of the following? Bloodmark Mentor Boggart Ram-Gang Lightning Crafter Siege-Gang Commander Warren Instigator Ember Hauler Claws of Valakut Those are cards I have from old goblin decks (Standard and Extended). Warren Instigator would be the one I'd really love to add in. Simian spirit guide is the only creature there that I question, any comments on how useful it is? Also, I think I may try with Claws of the Valakut over fists of the anvil and grafted wargear.

Put in whatever you like, just watch the curve.  this deck is built for speed rather than the resilience of legacy goblins.

The spirit guides have been great, they allow for some fast blowout plays with bushwackers and chieftains or give that extra red for a timely golin grenade to finish the game.

Put in whatever you like, just watch the curve.  this deck is built for speed rather than the resilience of legacy goblins.
The spirit guides have been great, they allow for some fast blowout plays with bushwackers and chieftains or give that extra red for a timely golin grenade to finish the game.

K, good to know. I will defiantly work on modifying this a bit later to see if I can get a version that is more my style. I will probably cut the Spirit Guide, mainly because it isn't a goblin, but I will certainly consider it for use. I can see how it would be useful, but I am more concerned with it being a sucky top deck late game.

It's a lotus petal. It's just there for the free mana.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

K, good to know. I will defiantly work on modifying this a bit later to see if I can get a version that is more my style. I will probably cut the Spirit Guide, mainly because it isn't a goblin, but I will certainly consider it for use. I can see how it would be useful, but I am more concerned with it being a sucky top deck late game.

Its a goblin deck... there is no late game.

Its a goblin deck... there is no late game.

Good point. I meant mid game when I already played my entire hand. No hand and drawing into a non-goblin whose purpose is to make mana is a tad disappointing.

Good point. I meant mid game when I already played my entire hand. No hand and drawing into a non-goblin whose purpose is to make mana is a tad disappointing.

But... it gives you an extra mana t1 or t2, which increases your odds of having a hand that just outright kills. If you want to worry about that sort of thing you'd need to be playing a less all-in deck, ie not this one at all.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

But... it gives you an extra mana t1 or t2, which increases your odds of having a hand that just outright kills. If you want to worry about that sort of thing you'd need to be playing a less all-in deck, ie not this one at all.

Yah, I get that. I can see how awesome a turn 1 Warren Instigator would be. But for the moment, it probably won't make the deck. Mainly because I don't own any while I own all the goblins listed XD I will be certain to try it later though.

Instigator? Wut?

Sure, he's a baddass, but trust me, double guide is going to be a six billion times more awesome play.

Think that way. 4 Hasted power is better than 2 normal power with an 'I win' clause

On the play you've got 8 damage before some decks can interact. That's, like, affinity good.
76783093 wrote:
Instigator? Wut?

Sure, he's a baddass, but trust me, double guide is going to be a six billion times more awesome play.

Think that way. 4 Hasted power is better than 2 normal power with an 'I win' clause

On the play you've got 8 damage before some decks can interact. That's, like, affinity good.

True, two Goblin Guides in turn 1 would be far more potent than a Warren Instigator, at least in the short run (but that is really the goal of goblins XD). However, the main problem with that is that it is far more likely that my hand will contain a Mountain, a Simian Spirit Guide, and a Warren Instigator than a Mountain, a Simian Spirit Guide, and 2 Goblin Guides. 1 Goblin Guide is likely enough, but 2 probably won't happen too often (and chances are it won't occur with the Simian Spirit Guide).
If I had a Mountain, a Simian Spirit Guide, a Warren Instigator, and a Goblin Guide, I feel the first turn play would be a bit more tricky. It would really depend on what else I have in my hand. I may want to drop the Goblin Guide and hold the Simian Spirit Guide, a Warren Instigator, or I may want to drop them and hold the Goblin Guide for the possibility of dropping 3 goblins next turn. Either way it would equal 4 damage assuming no blockers.
Currently, this is what I've came up with.

Creatures: 29 (Total Costs: 1CMC-11, 2CMC-12, 3CMC-4, 4CMC-2)
2 Krenko, Mob Boss
3 Spikeshot Elder
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Warren Instigator
Planeswalkers: 0
Artifact: 0
Enchantments: 4
4 Claws of Valakut
Instants: 4
4 Lightning Bolt
Sorceries: 4
4 Goblin Grenade
Lands: 19
19 Mountains

The two cards I am most looking to add are Bloodmark Mentor and Simian Spirit Guide. I will really need to play test it before I can decide which cards work best. I mean, I know how awesome a turn 1 double Goblin Guide play would be. Yet I also know how awesome Claws of the Valakut can combo with Spikeshot Elder and Warren Instigator, as well as any other Goblin.
The real thing I need to look more into is if Claws proves more useful than Mentor would; personally I see that happening unless I get Krenko's effect off a lot. Without the Claws, I doubt I would want to run Spikeshot Elder, or at I'd be less inclined to. I mean it is a 1 drop, but without a good power booster I am not a fan of its effect. Mogg Fanatic or Raging Goblin may work better just for a 1 drop.
I guess I should be thankful that there are actually a rather small pool of amazing Goblins in Modern. Besides Mentor, Spirit Guide, and Fanatic, there are only a handful I am considering that probably won't make the deck due to space (i.e. Ember Hauler, Boggart Ram-Gang, Goblin King, Boartusk Liege, Lightning Crafter, and Dynacharge). I doubt Ember, King, and Crafter will make the deck ever; well, maybe Sideboard King. Ram-Gang would be awesome but it is a bit high in cost compared to other options. Dynacharge may be nice to test a bit, depends how well I swarm by turn 3. Boartusk probably won't go in due to cost, but still, it is one I wouldn't like to rule out (especially if I do get a lot of tokens).
I may even try to make a more token based version with Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command if I feel it would be worth testing. Personally, I see there being two main directions I could take the deck: One would be focusing on the individual goblins more (e.g. Claws of the Valakut) while the other would be supporting a horde of goblins more (e.g. tokens with Dynacharge).
Either way, I think I got enough advice for Goblins, at least for now. I'll try to test them a bit more and see where the deck takes me.

As for the other decks, anyone have any comments on them? I got a good idea on how most Infect work in Modern, but would it be practical for one to work focused more around Black with things like Hand of the Praetors? Would a Token-based GW Landfall have any hope or would it just be too requiring of a set up and too slow for Modern? Lastly, is there anyone who thinks I could get a Bant Exalted deck working at all in Modern or would have same problem as the Landfall in too requiring of a set up for the combo?