Invisible Blackguard Help

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For flavor reasons, I am looking at making a blackguard who gains the combat advantage needed for their striker feature by as much invisibility as possible. Ideas I have had so far are going gnome (speed 4, small, but some nice invisibility tricks), multi-class warlock to leech some powers from the Fey pack, or gather a large number of other means (potions, items) that could do the trick. I'd like to go pure Blackguard if possible (as I do not have access to the Dragon article with the hybrid article for it.) Any suggestions?
Gnome Nightcloak paragon path - you'll need stealth training from a MC or Background. What level are we talking for this character?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Start at level 1, and its meant for a campaign-worth of play.
Pixie Spellscarred Harbinger? You could flavor Streak of Light + Badge of Berserker as going invisible while you charge, and voila, you have at-will invisibility flavor.
I saw this done with a hybrid Blackguard/Binder, of all things- I believe it's the Binder's Star Pact that says:

"free action-trigger: you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, or an enemy adjacent to you drops to 0 hit points.  Effect: you become invisible until the end of your next turn"

EDIT: so Drow hybrid Blackguard/Binder (or Pixie with Streak of Light), put as much as you dare into CHA (20 is doable) and leave yourself some Int for riders of any Star Pact powers you end up with (Delban's Deadly Attention is rather nice at E3).  Pick Virtuous Strike for your At-Will, it's a Paladin power (so you get your striker damage) is a basic attack (always nice), and it's a weapon attack (so you can Dread Smite).  Spellscarred Harbinger Theme for Vanish.  You start off with two minor action encounter powers to guarantee CA, and anytime something dies around you, you become invisible for a round.  At U6, you can take another one round invisibility if you actually need it by this point.

The question of which Vice to take opens up some debate.  Angry Blackguards just get more up front damage, which is nice.  Domination Blackguards have the potential to do significantly more damage than that, but they need a reliable source of temp hit points to claim it (by hurting themselves).  I don't see any good way to get temps with this build, so I'd probably start by being angry.  If your leader becomes aggressive about handing out temp hp, or starts churning out a significant amount of them down the road, retrain if able.

I will add this caveat, since someone else is going to: other than for defense, is getting reliable combat advantage so difficult in your group?  In some groups, daze can become quite common, and melee characters with any sense of teamwork will flank- and if they don't, there's always Cunning Stalker (which should be a part of your build anyways). 

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
I saw this done with a hybrid Blackguard/Binder, of all things- I believe it's the Binder's Star Pact that says:

"free action-trigger: you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, or an enemy adjacent to you drops to 0 hit points.  Effect: you become invisible until the end of your next turn"

Two wrongs make a...well, something not quite right, but it fits OP's design specs. The other way to do it is Blackguard/MC Binder/Evermeet Warlock with teleport boosters and ethereal sidestep.
@Mengu Getting invisibility gives CA, giving the striker damage boost.
@Meta It is partially story reasons, but the rest of the group doesn't lean toward melee. Hunter, artificer, and a sorcerer is what it looks like. We aren't starting this group until next week, so something might change.

What does MC binder give, beyond pact choice?
Meta beat me to it. I think Blackguard|Binder woud work really well. Too bad you can't hybrid, just because Blackguard is waaay better as a hybrid because among other things you can go all-out CHA.  I wouldn't make INT secondary though. You get more out of DEX or CON.

With the MC at least you can get the invisibility boon 1/enc. You also get rod/wand proficiency and the at-will attack that goes with the boon 1/enc (Mind Shadows - a ranged attack that makes allies more then three squares away from the target invisibile to it).  No prereqs and it qualifies you for Ethereal Sidestep + Evermeet. Very fun PP, but it's not going to do anything for your strikeriness.

Also, what Mengu was saying is that Streak of Light gives you CA on a charge, and BotB gives you bonuses to OAs. Since the overall effect is similar to charging invisibly, you can just say that's what's happening. In other words, if you just need invis for RP reasons, you can RP the invisibility. All that matters mechnically is that you get CA, which this does.
With a Blackguard as a paladin, and binder as a warlock, are those the same base mechanics in terms of HP, defenses, and such for a hybrid version? Naturally some of the class features would have to change due to the differences from the O-classes.
@Mengu Getting invisibility gives CA, giving the striker damage boost.

And that is why I suggested Pixie with Streak of Light, gives you CA when you charge (use Spellscarred Harbinger on the odd round you're not charging or intending to AP). Badge of the Berserker means you don't provoke when you charge. That is pretty close to being invisible when you charge. Utility 6, Pixie Invisibility gives you another tool if you feel you need it.

And you want to go hybrid on this anyway, however you look at it. Executioner, Binder, Fighter, whatever you pick, will make it better.
With a Blackguard as a paladin, and binder as a warlock, are those the same base mechanics in terms of HP, defenses, and such for a hybrid version? Naturally some of the class features would have to change due to the differences from the O-classes.

Yes, although the skill lists are a little different. Binder gets warlock skills plus dungeoneering, and blackguard gets paladin skills plus athletics, bluff, and thievery while losing diplomacy and insight.
Hybrid Blackguards choose any Paladin At-Will for their attack, so you will want to take "Virtuouse Strike" as it is a Cha based MBA that does radiant damage. This also opens up Power of Arcana in case, you wanna tack on some (but not all) of your Arcana riders to it. Radiant abuse with your Invoker maybe considered later in the game. You will want to go Fury Blackguard, because their Hybrid version does the same damage as Domination, but without using temp HP. Also, consider getting Shadow Walk, as concealment is generally useful to a stealth tank.
Hybrid Blackguards choose any Paladin At-Will for their attack, so you will want to take "Virtuouse Strike" as it is a Cha based MBA that does radiant damage. This also opens up Power of Arcana in case, you wanna tack on some (but not all) of your Arcana riders to it. Radiant abuse with your Invoker maybe considered later in the game. You will want to go Fury Blackguard, because their Hybrid version does the same damage as Domination, but without using temp HP. Also, consider getting Shadow Walk, as concealment is generally useful to a stealth tank.

Actually, Domination does do more damage, and it scales somewhat, which Fury does not.  The Invisible Blackguard may not be able to constantly generate temporary hit points, which is the real reason to choose Fury.
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks