Opinions on RtR Set

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
We've seen the cards for Return to Ravnica, we got sneak peaks at cards in Gatecrash...

I wanna know what you guys think of this set, which is your favorite guild/mechanic and what you're playing at the pre-release??? This is all opinionated...
Gatecrash seems like it's going to be a great limited environment, probably moreso than RtR.  I've gotten bored with RtR as the archetypes are pretty much set in stone based on the guilds.  It seems like Gatecrash will be a lot more rewarding for mixing & matching in limited.  IMO at least.  Just different routes one can take than the normal Golgari Long-Game, Rakdos Speed-Freak, and Selesnya Lolwut Token Army. 

That said, I'm gonna go Gruul for the midnight showing as it seems to be the most straight forward, and devastating, guild.  Gonna go Dimir for another one because it looks to fun to pass up and has the most variance in what it can do.  And if I have a chance, maybe Simic because it intrigues me looks like it could be fun to toy with. 

If your guild is hinged with green you got a lot of solid choices, especially in a limited environment. I feel a lot of the good "go to" creatures and even some spells in GTC are either partly or "mono" green.

For casual constructed, while I do like going all out aggro, Green-Blue is my favorite dual color. I like green's quality creatures and I love Blue's quality control. Simic blends that together nicely and you want really curve out your deck to get the most out of evolve. There's something magical when you can use blue to direct the flow of combat to the get the most out of green's creatures. GTC gives me some fun tools and two more cards for my abysmal (but well loved) crab tribal deck. (If I can get a fleet of flying crab cavalry, I know it's been a good game)

I feel like every set since WOTC's Commander Product we've been getting more epic EDH-tailored goodies. GTC piles more craziness into the card pool thanks to its slower format. Even cheepo to activate cards like Thespian's Stage will prove to be monstrously advantageous in just about every EHD deck.

I keep forgetting about the two big "good guys" (or at least poster boys) of the plainswalker band. They are here for a damn important mission- Saving the multiverse from plain eating eldritch monstrosities and all. They just fade into the background amidst all the Ravitica craziness and what not. Hope that picks up in the third set. Also I expected a bit more Gate synergy. Did that all vanish this set or something? I know only half the cards have been revealed and all, but we at least we got one or two bites of "gates matter" when WOTC was spoiling RtR by this time.

Gruul and Gruul and I also hate this set with a passion.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

conceptually Izzet if it wasn't so bad.

ideally dimir if the cards weren't so underpowered

realistically orzhov. 
I myself originally wanted Izzet until I saw how bad the cards were.

Then Dimir but I bore of milling.

Then orzhov but I don't want to focus solely on bleeding.

So now I may lean towards Simic.

I'm generally good with
My favorite mechanic is evolve. I'll probably go with Gruul for the prerelease though. I like creature heavy limited decks so its either boros, simic, or gruul. I like green and dislike white so I won't be playing boros. Gruul just seems like it'll be more consistent in limited than simic. Looks like an okay set. My opinion about the set has improved as more cards were previewed. Hopefully I'll end up liking it more when the full spoiler comes out. As long as its a good and fun set for limited, I'll be satisfied.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

First impressions are that I don't like the look of Gatecrash, however most of the cards are yet to be spoiled and that will affect how I percieve the limited environment.

My biggest gripe with RtR block in general is the lack of story. I mean what is the story? Yeah there's guilds vying for control and what not, but what else is going on? I suppose there is Niv-Mizzet and his grand scheme but it doesn't look like we'll learn anything about that until Dragons Maze. Also what are ther Planeswalkers doing there? Is Ravnica Jace's home Plane? If so they should have more of a reason to include him in the block than that. Is Gideon there just because he's a Soldier and like the look of Boros? IMO Innistrad had a much better story and it was told a lot better. Also all the Planeswalkers had a reason to be there and made sense there (excluding Tamiyo). So I feel like RtR has been a big letdown in tterms of story, however Ilike the block in general as I think it's added to a lot formats, Standard is healthy with  alot of viable decks. However I don't like RtR Block constructed but hopefully Gatecrash will change this (tbh I don't like most Block Constructed formats when there is only 1 set). 

As far as prerelease guild i'm still undecided between Gruul and Boros, I love aggressive beatdown stategies. It doesn't help that we haven't seen most of the cards yet though. 
First impressions are that I don't like the look of Gatecrash, however most of the cards are yet to be spoiled and that will affect how I percieve the limited environment.

My biggest gripe with RtR block in general is the lack of story. I mean what is the story? Yeah there's guilds vying for control and what not, but what else is going on? I suppose there is Niv-Mizzet and his grand scheme but it doesn't look like we'll learn anything about that until Dragons Maze. Also what are ther Planeswalkers doing there? Is Ravnica Jace's home Plane? If so they should have more of a reason to include him in the block than that. Is Gideon there just because he's a Soldier and like the look of Boros? IMO Innistrad had a much better story and it was told a lot better. Also all the Planeswalkers had a reason to be there and made sense there (excluding Tamiyo). So I feel like RtR has been a big letdown in tterms of story, however Ilike the block in general as I think it's added to a lot formats, Standard is healthy with  alot of viable decks. However I don't like RtR Block constructed but hopefully Gatecrash will change this (tbh I don't like most Block Constructed formats when there is only 1 set). 

As far as prerelease guild i'm still undecided between Gruul and Boros, I love aggressive beatdown stategies. It doesn't help that we haven't seen most of the cards yet though. 

Did you read the e-book?  That's where the story is.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Tamiyo: Oh, just tourist passing through lolol, but while we're at it, lemme f*** up your graveyards.

Did you read the e-book?  That's where the story is.

You really shouldn't have to read the book for the story to me conveyed. Magic is first and foremost a card game and the story should be very clear from playing and reading the cards. I didn't read any Innistrad books or Scars books however I have a good understanding of the story of those blocks.

But you've had three sets to tell you those stories. We've seen less than half of the block this time. Innistrad didn't tell you the entire story. Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored had to add onto it. I don't like Ravnica, but you aren't even giving it a chance.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
But you've had three sets to tell you those stories. We've seen less than half of the block this time. Innistrad didn't tell you the entire story. Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored had to add onto it. I don't like Ravnica, but you aren't even giving it a chance.

Innistrad did a much better job at telling the storythan RtR has. DKA and AVR added to the story but I still knew what was going on at the end of Innistrad and half way through DKA spoilers. I don't have a clue what the actual storyline of RtR is yet. I don't know about you but I like to be understanding what's going on in my stories half way through. Just take the name of the set, Gatecrash. Does anyone have any idea what this actually means. Yeah we have Gate lands but what the hell has that got to do with the story, bugger me if I know. Take Dark Ascension, I know what's going on just by the name, the evil of the world is probably on the rise, which is right. Now I don't mind titles being enigmatic but with over half the cards spoiled now there doesn't seem to be any explanation as to what is going on.

RtR so far is just a story failure. Which is a shame as I like the set overall, limited is a blast and STD is really fun. Also the setting is actually really good but it's no good having an amazing setting and then a rubbish story to take place in that setting. I just wish they put more effort into the story like some of the previous blocks. The original Ravnica block had a much better story imo.
I don't really know what to think of Gatecrash.

On the one hand there are some very fun cards like Blind Obedience, Ghor-Clan Rampager and Murder Investigation. On the other hand this set includes way too many rares for commander or casual formats. I have nothing against such formats but this set is just filled with rares for the non constructed environment.

I really like the uncommons in Gatecrash, I think most of them are really powerful and  some of them are even better than the rares or mythics.
And where is the new [C]Simic Sky Swallower[/C]? That Master Biomancer guy is just lame - Simic needs at least one good fatty! I also hate both planeswalkers in GTC, really lame design.

Like MisterDubs I think RTR and Gatecrash really failed to deliver a good story and atmosphere, both on web articles and cards itself. If you look at Innistrad block cards (especially DKA) you'll see that they have a little story to tell. They are much more emotional (look at [C]Burden of Guilt[/C] or [C]Thraben Doomsayer[/C] or [C]Wild Hunger[/C]) Maybe it's just me but Innistrad block cards feel more "alive". In RTR nothing happens, the guilds don't interact much with each other or at least that's the feeling I have due to a missing storyline.
The planeswalkers in Innistrad had all their reasons for being there - Tamiyo investigated the moon, her race (the soratami) is connected with moons and Innistrad is definitely not a place where the moon is just there for tides.

I enjoy the RTR block so far but there are blocks which I liked more like Innistrad.

I probably won't go the prerelease this time but I would choose Gruul or Simic. Really like those guilds.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Complain about edh cards then ask for a simic 7-drop fatty? Funny.

3DH4LIF3

I don't remember much else off the topof my head, but Gideon is on Ravnica looking for help to defeat the Eldrazi on Zendikar.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Complain about edh cards then ask for a simic 7-drop fatty? Funny.

Yeah, because a 7drop finisher automatically means  it's for EDH, sure...  Tongue Out

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)